Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

This is the problem Juli, I want to do both on road and off road riding. So, now I just don't know what to do. SHIT!! I want a comfortable ride but something that will do lots of miles and off road. Got any suggestions?

Maybe go to a bike dealer, (one that sells many different varieties of bicycle) and tell them what you want in a bike. They may be able to help you select the right one, or at least steer you in the right direction.

I have, I have gone to the three in town that I live in. I just don't want to get a bike that I am not going to be happy with. Just like my Searcher, I just bought it but already need to upgrade because of the amount of miles I am putting on it and the 7 gear problem. God I wish someone would bring a bike to my front door and say "here, I know you need one of these and this is exactyl what you are looking for!!" LOL...I wish..Deanna

I finally found a good bike - it's an Electa - e l e c t r a - last fall when I was at my heaviest (445) is when I bought it - I use it mostly on road and haven't had any trouble with it - or maybe a recumbant - I'd like to try one of those out

areellady-

Maybe you need two bikes. One for off road, the one you have now, and one for the road for specifically.

If you're wanting something new already, it would make sense to get something rather different, than yet another hybrid. (I don't know exactly what your schwinn is, but I'm assuming.)

Good luck.

And about recumbants, I understand they are FUN and great, but they are hard to shift when going up hill, you just don't have the same strength in your quads in that position as you do on an upright. And sounds like you want more ability to shift...

just a thought.

Well, I bought a bike tonight. It is a Raleigh. Yes, it is another hybrid but I just love my Schwinn, it just didn't have enough gears. So, I will quite moaning about a new bike now. Deanna

Just an update I am QUITE happy about. THe store took my Schwinn back so now I don't feel so bad about having the nicer bike!! It is a Raleigh Venture 3.0. It is LOVELY!!! Deanna

I'm getting frustrated. I've been riding my new bike, (areellady's castoff :rolleyes: ), and loving it. BUT the last 2 nights, I've gone for a ride, and I get the most horrible stitch in my side about 10 minutes into it, and it forces me to turn around and go home. I'm riding the exact same route every evening, so why is this happening, and does anyone have any advice to prevent this from happening??

HELP!!!

A couple thoughts make sure to be hydrated before ride. The other is what the serious power lifters at the gym have told me take in a dual isolate whey protien shake 30-45 mins after workout. Not sure if this will help but it wouldn't hurt.

Another thought, you can try some pickle juice before ride this will assist in preventing spasms and cramps.

JC

Pickle juice has Calcium chloride in it which is one of the things the cardiac unit may give a person having a heart attack.

A lot of people think of potasium when thinking of muscle cramps however low Calcium is often the culprit. The fact that it is in the form of a solution (juice) assists it in getting into your system rapidly.

A secondary benefit of Pickle Juice is vinegar; which helps neutralize lactic acid. The acid that causes that sticky painful burning feeling and is a byproduct of the muscle fatigue/repair process.

JC

JC

That is so cool! Who knew? And I've become a pickle fanatic since having surgery. Maybe my body was craving what it needed.

Travelgirl-

I was going to suggest Water. Also, don't eat a an hour before you bike. Let the body digest what's in your tummy so your muscle and stomach aren't competing for blood flow.

I like JC's ideas too.

Hmmmm....You may be on to something there....both times I've gotten the stitch, I've gone for a ride shortly after eating dinner. I'll make sure I'm hydrated with pickle juice (lol) before my next ride, and I'll go before I eat, or wait until later.

Thanks for the advice! I knew you guys would have some ideas.

Ok, on the pickle juice...JUST DON'T DRINK IT THE DAY BEFORE YOU ARE GOING TO WEIGH YOURSELF!!!! That could prove to be disasterous....That is really interesting on the pickles. Makes sense with the lactic acid. Thanks for the hints and advice on this one. I also would say no riding until your stomach digests your food. Good job on your biking trvgrl...Deanna

I am amazed at how our bodies are sometimes able to tell us what we need.

I have picked up a few of these tips from hanging out with insane people! lol

After my first 100 mile bike ride I thought I was surely going to die, but one of the vetran riders handed off some of these tips and they seemed to work. Others I learned from powerlifters at the gym and some from runners.

One other thought about the recumbent bikes. They aren't so much difficult about shifting when it comes to hills it's more about the fact that you are isolating your leg muscles from the rest of your body. Basically you cannot stand up on the pedal to use your upper body weight to crank through. The end result maximum areobic benefit at least that is what I tell myself when I have to go up a $%$$% %$%#$%#$ &%&$%#

Hill.

Take a look at all the overpasses on the pinellas trail I had to deal with last weekend and you'll see what I'm talking about!

str8jacket29 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

JC