Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

<p>I must say--if it's financially possible--get you a another Jell and put over that. I was hurting too with the gel at first. Finally in a the past couple of weeks--I am not in the big pain. If I make the gel a problem--I'll make my workout shorter with excuses.</p> <p> </p> <p>Secondly--Great Job--go for the meeting on the bike. Two and 1/2 miles is our Walmart. So I have went there 2 times so far by bike--with my kids. So many people pushing me hard. One lady--cute as a button. Why are you getting so small? I said--it was time--then she remarks again--why? With her as a size 2 maybe...Then a few of my so called "Male Buddies". "Lee--you're Killing yourself--just to turn back the hands of time. With that statement--I was at the store about 1.5 miles from my home--I saw the very same guy--chipping in with his buddy for a 12 pack of beer. He then says--I want to lose weight--but that hill will kill you. I had to remark...if it will kill you...I have now 7 weeks of going up that same hill on the average of 4 days a week. So I should be dead--28 times over. The deal is--people who say the crazy things--I use this to fuel my workouts. I actually look for them to say the bigger things like that--if you can call it that..Do your thing and work harder and smarter...</p>

I find myself wondering if musicalmomma is gonna make it back home today since it is all uphill....LOL..just kidding...I know what you mean about rubber band legs....

Lee I am finding out if I stretch really good before and after, at least 7-10 minutes, that it helps tremendously with the soreness. I was having that too almost to the point where I could not even go again the next day but now am stretching and am MUCH better!!! Try that if you are not doing it now and see if it helps. Deanna

I love my cheap bike..it has only 7 speeds and I LOVE IT!!!! I want to ride all the time...I get mad when no one in the family wants to go with me. LOL...

I got a bike last september that is the best bike I've owned - it's an Electra - they make old school cruisers (like a Pee Wee Herman bike) - comfy seats - easy to ride

What is a comfort bike????

I didn't know what a "comfort bike" was either until I recently started looking for a new bike. Here's some info I found that explains what a comfort bike is:

"Comfort Bicycle"

The original runaway popularity of mountain bikes was mainly related to their greater comfort for casual cyclists, compared to the drop handlebar , skinny-tire sport-touring bikes that had been the predominant adult style through the '70s and early '80s. As mountain-bike racing became more organized, mountain bike designs started to morph into a more competition-oriented riding position, with longer top tubes, lower handlebars, narrower saddles, shorter wheelbases and more upright frame angles.

By the late '90s, this trend had gone so far that many casual/beginner cyclists were finding mountain bikes uncomfortable.

In response, the industry came up with what is commonly known as a "comfort bike." Typical comfort bikes resemble mountain bikes in wheel size, brake and gear equipment, but also differ in several ways:

• Shorter top tubes, for a more upright riding position.
  • Taller, often adjustable, handlebar stems, also for a more upright riding position.
  • "Riser" handlebars, also for a more upright riding position.
  • Wider saddles with springs (and/or suspension seatposts.)
  • Smooth, wide tires for quiet and comfort on smooth surfaces.
  • Lower bottom brackets for easier mounting/dismounting.

In many respects, the comfort bike harkens back to the riding style/position of the classic English Roadster , only with modern gears and brakes. Comfort bikes are often seen as slower, stogier versions of "hybrid bikes", and are targeted at pretty much the same market.

The last bike I owned (20 years ago:eek:) was the classic 10speed, skinny tire, low-handlebar model. I hated that bike. Hunching over the handlebars killed my back. I need a more upright style of bike with some cush for my tush! My only problem now is which one to choose. What is everyone else riding out there?

All I know is now--they have nicer seats for the bike. I know I can go on riding with this skinny seat. I even placed the Gel seat over the original seat but - It still hurts me in an area--well lets not mention is here.

There is a wider seat I am looking to get in a couple of days. I will try that one out too. I hope that within another 3 to 6 months--I will move up to a better bike. My bike is a Walmart $73 special. Twenty-One speed--made simply for the kids. But I do well at my 240 something frame. I see folks laughing and looking. It pushes me more and more. I love the fact I can where my suits from 6 years ago--and some of the new ones I brought--but they've stayed on a hanger in my closet. Now as of last weekend--May 20th--I was able to put on that suit. I am now hoping that that size 40 will need a belt. I never wear it if it's tight. I'll leave that up to you ladies. If it's comfortable--I'll wear.

Just keep your schedule riding daily. Take your time off--like a day here and then ride 2 more days. Before you know it--that 2 or 3 miles will just be like dessert--tempting you. I can't ride for 30 minutes anymore. It'll just make me mad. I have get a short ride in at 45 minutes or branch out to that 2 hours--like I have been doing for the past 4 days. When I am tired--I will split that 2 hours into 2-- 1 hour rides...Call me crazy or call me motivated. I am sad to say--one of the people here have told me--I was going to be a "Couch Potatoe"--claimed I was doing too much talking...I am not riding today--because it's 87 degrees. Oh--the temp will go down to 75 again by 6:15 pm...then I'll be pumped up and having enough protien in my system to go for my 1.5 hour ride...I go longer when it hot..It's Memorial day--I am glad no one is celebrating my life--cause I am still here....LL

I would like too know too...I bet we are going to have to wait....I am riding now, I am being banded this Wednesday...

I have started riding last week..so I hate to wait too long

But....I know that you use muscles that you proably dont think about when you ride in your stomach???

Good luck...how are you doing 2 weeks out????

I bought a dual suspension bike a month before surgery I really want to ride that thing, I did get a month out of it. And just got completely healed 2 weeks ago and have not had a chance to go. weddings,church,work,social outingsand the list goes on. My son has been on me to go ride he is 8. we went to a memorial day party today and just got home cause of rain. And now we still not out there 3fa9_2.JPG

Specialized

<p>That is what I was speaking of...My next bike will be duel suspension. I was the soft seat and all. The only think I want to hurt is my legs while riding. I don't want the booty to be hurting. That is somewhat why I want the duel suspension. Yiur son is complaining about you riding--My sons is complaing of riding too much. It's thought I ride too much by my soon to be 11 year old. My 8 year old loves it. Both are boys who are active. I think the 10 year old is breaking away--due to early puberty. Oh well--it's a shame a soon to be 50 year old is out-riding the kids.(at least right now)</p> <p> </p> <p>I know that my blood pressure is stabilized just after 7 weeks (basically 49 days) I missed my BP medication because my scripts ran out. I finally got to the Doctor after being out for 6 days. My BP has not gotten higher--even without medication. The first Nurses Practioner thought I was using drugs. At least that is what I got from her actions. She says--"Oh you losing weight and your BP is down? But you have no medication? I said--I ride from 3 to 5 miles each day(now 4 to 6)--she just about pushed me out of the office. I saw she looked at me strangely. Didn't really read my chart. I had to come back for another appointment...I mentioned that to my Dr.--It's known a lot people--who is of the darker skin color use drugs for weight loss and loss of reality( she says)...Crack??? I am cracking up laughing at the fact--a Man like me with a little above average intelligence--would even do such a thing.</p> <p>I am doing one smart thing besides eating less due to me being banded..I am addicted to "bike riding" and "walking". My next journey will be weight lifting. I have done it all before. But my start will be right around August 15th...It'll be best when the kids return to school. That way--There will not be a 2 hour limit set on me. I have to give them to the Gym daycare--so we have 2 hours and we are told to come get the kids...1 step, 1 day at a time...</p>:faint:

Hi Everyone I am fortunate enough to live in Central Florida. There are 5 trails close to my home. The best being the Withlacoochee trail 92 miles round trip.

I ride a BikeE and a catrike 700 very nice as far as the tush factor is concerned!

JC

after twelve years of not riding because of my size, about a week after i was banded the first time i hoped on a bike available at the house i was renting and rode a block. then eventually a mile, then three miles...four..worked up to eight miles daily for a month before i had to fly home. For my birthday, my sons got me a brand new bike complete with big girl seat and bell, flashy lights for the spokes and i use it daily. Love my bike.

When does the bike butt disappear? I have the gel seat but it still feels like there is a foot up my a$$. Do I just keep riding on it or let it rest a day or two?