Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

I was pretty disturbed by the scale for a better part of 2 years. I got to my lowest adult weight of 187 in early 2008 and then I just gave up. Or maybe it is better to say I got comfortable. But it wasn't very comforting when I found myself back at 225 at the end of 2009. I spent the better part of 2 years yo-yoing back and forth and continually discouraging myself. I have gone into this year with a better attitude. Instead of focusing all of my energies on the scale and weight loss I am focusing on two things. The first is not eating sugar. For the simple reason that it is like crack to me. I don't want to go through life with an addiction and that is how I feel with sugar. The second is training for a triathlon. I have always talked about doing it but never actually trained and done it. It's been a little over a month since I have implemented those two things and I am feeling mighty good about the 205 I saw on the scale this morning. I never even broke 210 in all of 2009.

We can all get back on the wagon and do it.

BG - congratulations on seeing some results from your efforts so far this year!

I stepped on the scale this AM. I'm not happy about it, but at 274, I weigh less than I did for part of 2009. I was fearing a much higher number.

270 seems to be a critical number for me. Higher than 270, and my joints start to ache from carrying the weight - and the clothes I bought when i was in the 240s no longer fit (or they fit, but look reeeeeaaaaallllllyyyyyy bad).

I had a very bad asthma attack while riding with Nikki in the fall, and since then, I've had anxiety attacks about getting out and riding again. It's good that we got the trainer for Nikki - we can ride in the workout room, and by the time the weather turns, I should have some confidence back. I also need to be more diligent about taking my meds to prevent future asthma attacks. Who knew you could get asthma at 40?

I also need to stay away from the sugar - that stuff really is like crack. I'm fine as long as I don't eat anything sweet. As soon as I get that first sweet taste, I'm off to the races. Exercise tends to help with that, I want salty not sweet.

B

Hi, I LOVE bicycling and I owe it to bicycling that I got the LAP-BAND®. My husband and I bought hybrid bicycles last spring. I struggled to keep with him because I had to haul my extra 80 (hmmm--125) pounds. In spite of that, I saw the amount of calories I burned, and I saw the tone in my legs starting to take place.

Since then, hubby has bought a Trek, and is doing 60 - 100 mile rides, and i have the LAP-BAND®!! I knew I could never do any of these rides (too many hills, and too long) at my current weight.

I was banded 2/12/10, now my goal is to do a ride with him this June - - I am already 25 pounds lighter than I was last year, so I can't wait for spring and riding again - -I hope to only enter the gym on weekends when it rains:lol:.

Thanks B! You will get your confidence back. J did not want to ride for a long time after she kept getting stuck in her pedals. I know it is not as severe as having an asthma attack, but it gave her a lot of grief for awhile. You will get it back buddy. Keep the inhaler close at hand and rock it.

I have asthma too. I got on the scale and am back up to 370. Better than 450 but not where I want to be. Thank you guys for the support it helps knowing someone else is having similar struggles and successes

Hi Lauryn - welcome & congratulations on your recent surgery.

BG - Thanks! I'll get back in the groove soon. It's good that Mrs. B is into the biking thing now, so I'll have some motivation and a riding partner. I think that it will do me good to be more active here - to share successes & setbacks with others who are in the same boat as well as to share in their successes & provide support for their setbacks. Sometimes it gets too easy for me to think that there's no one else out there who could understand... And yeah, I don't go anywhere without an inhaler now.

Brad - it's no fun seeing the scale moving back up, and I agree - it is very helpful to know that there are others out there in the same situation.

Bike on.

B

Does it count to ride the bikes in thegym.do they work on trimming the legs

it helps but i don't think it counts. a good workout on a staionary bike is go hard, as fast as you can for a minute, then cruse for a minute. Hard then cruse. Push yourself.

I recently got my bike out and began riding as the weather is finally cooperating. I just came back from a ride this morning. It was 40 degrees out, a bit cool, but I had no wind and so the ride was very nice. I went 9.53 miles in one hour. I do not necessarily go for speed. I have a goal in mind for the summer and when I accomplish that, I will figure a new goal out and add more miles. I am estimating that my first goal, when accomplished, will give me 20 miles a day which will be a huge accomplishment. I have always gotten out of exercise by saying "I do not like to do it by myself", well, I like riding my bike by myself, it's MY TIME and that is how I will continue to look at it.

I just hopped back on a bike recently after YEARS of not riding a bike... I was so big before that it was hard to ride, and I felt off balance... I grew up not far from the beach, & I used to ride to the beach in h.s.,which is 14 miles round trip! My husband & I recently moved back, so I decided to go for it... especially after this past year, I have been on a plateau... I am DETERMINED to break it... My first ride was 17 miles!!! I ride to the beach at least 4 days a week... It is a solitude, & gets my mind clear... I will overcome this plateau!

I have not rode a bike in 30 years! I am now looking for one to buy and start riding. How many speeds should I get? Seven or more? There are so many bikes out there I don't know what to look for. Help!

I rode my bike Saturday, Sunday, and yesterday (Tuesday) and I have ridden a total of 29 miles in those three days. As I am just starting out, I feel this is pretty good. I am loving the "alone" time. My goal is to keep pushing myself and adding mileage to each ride. Not sure what the goal mileage per day will be but I guess that will depend mainly on my attitude and willingness to continue riding.

I enjoy being able to come on here and express myself as well as to see how other people are getting fit.

I went shopping for a bike yesterday. I want to look around some more, before I buy one. I live 2 miles from the beach. I day dream about cruising the strand on warm sunny day!! My family told me not to bother. It will just sit in the garage like everything else. They do not get yet. Life is different .

:thumbup: I AM BANDED NOW!!