Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A quick question re: body jewelry

I got my nose pierced in July, and it's still healing. I'm looking at a possible surgery date in February, but I suspect it will still be healing then. Will I have to remove my nose stud for the surgery? Since it's not fully healed, I can't keep it out for more than a few hours or it will start to close up. I will if I have to, of course, but I'd prefer not to have to if I can help it.

I had to remove all jewelry and nail polish. I'm sure they will let you put it back in once you're in recovery.

Yep, you'll probably have to remove it. The surgeon is going want to eliminate anything that may be a possible complication during surgery.

You have to remove all jewelry. I forgot about my belly button ring, so they removed it for me and then helped me get it back in right after surgery. I'm sure they can do the same for your nose. The no nail polish rule is so that the pulse ox that they put on your finger gets an accurate reading. Toe nail polish is allowed.

Yes you will have to take it out UNLESS you can find a plastic holder they should let you wear that.

It's the metal they worry about. You can go to your piercer and get a glass or plastic holder. They are temporary so you'll need to go back to the piercer in 3-5 days and get the earring out back in. I have a tragus but it's old so I was able to just take it out without the holder. IMO - the plastic holders are better than the glass ones. I had a glass holder break on me. Fortunately it fell off and didn't cut me.

I had to remove both my nostril and labret piercings. I was prepared because I went through the same thing when I had my tubes tied in 2011. I, too, prefer the plastic, temporary jewelry. You should be fine as far as the hole closing but put it back as quick as you can(couple days) because the thin mucous membrane in your nose can close pretty quickly. I lost my nostril stud in the shower while washing my face a few years back. I procrastinated on getting a new one and wound up having to do a re-pierce after only 3 weeks and this was years after the initial piercing. It was open on the surface of the skin but not inside the nostril. Now, I always carry 2 spare pieces of jewelry just in case one is lost.

It depends on your surgeon I kept my tongue ring in during my surgery .

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll ask my surgeon when I see him. I hope he'll ok a retainer, sine it would be plastic. Built2live, My nose bone slipped out in my sleep recently (it got caught in my CPAP mask), and by the time I woke up, the inside of my nose had almost closed up. I hope my surgery won't go too long, so I can get my piercing back in quickly. I don't want to have to get repierced... again!

@@orionova! Holy hog balls I know that hurt! When I first got my piercing about 15 years ago the same night I got it it got caught in my hair in my sleep and was ripped out. I still remember the shock and pain of that! The labret piercing was easy peasy and healed very quickly but those cartilage piercings are horrible.

I got my nose pierced in July, and it's still healing. I'm looking at a possible surgery date in February, but I suspect it will still be healing then. Will I have to remove my nose stud for the surgery? Since it's not fully healed, I can't keep it out for more than a few hours or it will start to close up. I will if I have to, of course, but I'd prefer not to have to if I can help it.

hey there

yes, for the surgery, all body piercings had to be removed..however

at your local piercing parlor, they sell plastic (stems) to put in that will keep

the hole open...however, i think if you remove it for a day, it should be okay..

i used the stems on all my piercings to keep open..

Just so you know, ymmv...and it depends on not just your surgeon, but the anesthesiologist and their team as well. For sure, all metal pieces that are removable must come out, but with some of my surgeries in the past I've kept in plastic retainers and others, I was asked to even remove the plastic ones too. Usually a nose piercing, if healed for at least 6 months, can go a few hours, but even the inside will begin to close, so you may have to immediately work it back in once in recovery...and it may hurt a little, but you should be able to do it. Hey, you'll already be on pain meds anyway ;) Good luck!