Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

giving yourself injections to prevent blood clots after surgery

So, I'm curious. How hard is it to inject yourself? Did you have someone else inject you or did you bite the bullet and inject yourself?

It's not as hard as it sounds. When I had to give myself Lovenox injections, both last year (following ankle surgery), and after my gastric sleeve surgery, it was no big deal at all. The injections (with my pharmacy anyway) were prefilled syringes. All I had to do was use an alcohol wipe (those little square packages) where I was going to stick myself with the needle. I would pinch (not hard) a bit of the fatty tissue to the right and left of my navel (you want to alternate sides each day) and stick, then press the plunger on top of the syringe. They are very small needles and not painful at all. The medicine tends to burn a little going in, and you shouldn't rub the area after the injection.

A nurse showed me how to do these injections after my ankle surgery last year, and a nurse can show you how it's done or your facility may have a video tape presentation of the procedure. It is very simple and very painless.

Just an added note, be aware that later in the day after you do injections, you may have a small bruise at the injection site--this is normal from all I experienced. If you have severe bruising though, make sure you contact the doctor about the dosage of the Lovenox (be sure to read the side effects sheet that comes with the medication). I didn't have any problems, but it is something to be aware of. Not meant to scare you, but something you should acquaint yourself with. Each person is different. The doctor does lab work prior to your surgery to see where you're at with your blood levels, etc.

As I said before, I didn't experience any pain with the shots nor any excessive bruising. It is a blood thinner, so naturally you will bruise easier like as if you were on an aspirin regimen before surgery--thus it helps prevent blood clots.

The small bruises are short-lived ones and are usually gone within a week or two. Actually the little bruises helped me measure where to give myself the successive injections over the 7-day period. :D

The shots are what is known as subcutaneous (just under the skin), and not an intramuscular injection (into muscles) shot, which makes it way less bothersome.

I was nervous as well. Glad I saw this post. I went to a clinic to see how to do it but still wasn't sure I could do it. I picked my shots up from the pharmacy last week and felt intimidated. We got this, those that have to do this . Good luck to everyone.

I had to give myself shots for two weeks, 3x per day. So I had Lots of bruises. I was very concerned if it would clear up and it did, took about a month.

Is this standard??? I can't give myself injections. I cry when I have to use my epi pen.

The first response was very accurate and the only things to add is that the cap of the syringe takes a small amount of force to pull off; remember to get rid of the air bubble inside of the syringe; and the bevel (tip) of the needle needs to be facing upwards when you inject. Also, don't recap the needle. Dispose of the syringes as instructed by your pharmacy.

Btw, the needles are hypodermic (tiny like insulin syringes), and not very intimidating. You will do great!

Is this standard??? I can't give myself injections. I cry when I have to use my epi pen.

I was given lovenox shots while I was in the hospital, but I never had to continue them after I went home.

Is it given to everyone or just to those who are prone to clots?

I have a high deductible plan for my insurance through BCBS. Does anyone know the average cost of 10 days? I checked with my pharmacy and they said around $500. Just curious if that seems right.

I'm almost certain it is standard procedure at the center I will be using...from what my friends have told me.