Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My dr said three meals a day ,no snacking. But I've read about a number of people who are having a slice of cheese or a little yogurt in between and are doing great because it helps keep their calories up to lose weight. ( ex. Too few calories and you might stall) I would not be opposed to a small healthy snack even if it's once a day. Do you snack?

I do, I get hungry.lots of people say they don't feel hunger, I feel hunger. my cheese stick or yogurt is what gets me to the next meal.

I eat 5-6 mini meals per day per my surgeon's recommendation, so each meal is essential a snack. I just make sure that each meal is Protein first, vegetable second, and a carb if I have room. I keep the calories of each meal at 200-250. My surgeon calls this "punctuated grazing".There are times that I will eat something in between, it is usually a piece of reduced fat cheese or some peanuts.

I do, I get hungry.lots of people say they don't feel hunger, I feel hunger. my cheese stick or yogurt is what gets me to the next meal.

Since you started snacking, have you realized any changes in how much you lose?

I snack twice a day when I can, though I'm usually too busy for the second snack. But, I usually have a yogurt around 10:30 am. I try to have a cottage cheese around 3ish. It helps stave off the hunger a bit. I do get hungry but not like I used to!

I am just going to second all the above folks. I was told to eat 5 small meals a day and to sip Protein in between that. I try to follow my gut. The two times I didn't listen to my gut I returned what I ate. After those two smackdowns I am REALLY listening to my stomach. So far the scale has been on a downward trend. Woo hoo! So snack away, small, high Protein or a bite of what you crave. I have discovered that many of my "faves" don't taste good anymore. weird....

My surgeon asked me to eat a light baby bell (50 calories) on the way home from work. He said that it will actually help my weight loss by ensuring I don't over eat at dinner. It also has something to do with the number of hours between my meals, I sm and work at 6 am and won't eat dinner until 5:30 or 6 pm

I was told to eat 6 times a day until I am able to get sufficient quantities of Protein in during meals. I have a lot of restriction and can only eat about 1/4 cup max at a time so it is difficult to get sufficient protein daily even with 6 meals a day. I also have to supplement with Liquid Protein through out the day to hit my goals. I suggest checking with your doctor and/or nutritionist and check what their guidelines are.

little_mrs, I'm still pre-op (surgery on the 10th) but my surgeon also says three meals with no snacking. This appears to be a set in stone rule for this office. I was told no more snacking from the first appointment six months ago.

Since you started snacking, have you realized any changes in how much you lose?

No I lose an average of 3 to 5 lbs a week. I have always snacked though.

My nutrisionist said to eat 1-3 ounces every 2-4 hours. Surgery date October 1st. I am down 64 lbs from HW & 37 pounds from SW. Sometimes I wonder if I am on track.

I had surgery July 2014. My surgeon and nutritionist both go by the rule that you eat three meals a day no snacking. I've been doing that since I had surgery and I've lost 90 pounds. I really honestly do not feel hungry since I had surgery. I seem to be doing well so I'm staying with the three meals a day no snacking.

Edited by mamie60

my <former> bariatric dr said meals 3x/day only. No Snacks. My regular dr disagreed and overrode that and told me to eat 5-6 small meals per day which makes more sense to me. Now, whether or not I DO is a different story. LOL

I had surgery July 2014. My surgeon and nutritionist both go by the rule that you eat three meals a day no snacking. I've been doing that since I had surgery and I've lost 90 pounds. I really honestly do not feel hungry I never had surgery. I seem to be doing well so I'm staying with the three meals a day no snacking.

But do you drink Protein drinks in between your meals. If not, how do you get all your Protein in. Or do you use a Protein Drink as a meal?