Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there! Bypass surgery was 11/21. Looking to talk with others on the same journey. :)

Hi Everyone,

I had my bypass surgery 11/21. I'm hoping to talk with others going through the same journey (and time frame) as me. I'd also like to hear from those of you who've been down this road, recently or a long time ago.

Like a lot of people I know, most of my family doesn't know I've had this surgery as they wouldn't agree so I count on the ones that do know; a couple of my family members, my friends, and the friends I've met here.

Looking forward to talking with and accomplishing new goals with everyone! Have a great day! :)

Welcome to the boards, NewStart! This is a great place to Celebrate, commiserate, find opinions and get advice from people in all stages of WLS. I had my bypass almost exactly 1 month prior to yours & would be happy to talk with you about what you can possibly expect in the upcoming weeks. I also guest blog on Jonathan Blue's site- his link is at the bottom of my post, and/or you can reach me at: suzemuze4life@gmail.com

Hi Suze.... I'm new and about to have rny gastric bypass would you be happy for me to email you??!!! I'm. Really scared about having my surgery which is booked for. Jan 23... Initially I was soooo excited now I'm more worried after reading all the side effects and bad stories other. Sites have written :(

@@the_new_tamra

Of course you can email me- I'd be more than happy to talk with you :)

suzemuze4life@gmail.com

I had surgery 11/30 and everything is going great. I followed the post surgery diet very carefully and never had complications. I discovered what dumping syndrome feels like by trying some chocolate pudding that wasn't sugar free...once was enough for that! Other than that it has been smooth sailing. food no longer controls my life because I have a good plan and am following it. It feels good.

Absolutely no regrets. I have an excellent doctor I've been seeing since 1981. He told me a year ago that diabetes was kicking in and I should consider RYGB. I decided to try one more time and put myself on 1200 calories a day. In a year I gained 30 pounds. I had to prove to myself I couldn't beat it by being stubborn (a family trait). Preparing for surgery was actually easier than usual because I was paying for everything myself and didn't have to deal with insurance companies. Within days of the surgery I was off diabetes meds, and every time I test it my blood sugar is normal. I'm down 50 pounds and am feeling better than I have in years. I'm over 60, and I decided I was not going to spend the next 20 years in a 400 pound body. Now I have lots of plans, projects and goals, and a good shot at making them.

Awww that is excellent :) I was initially freaked by the fact is read stories on the internet about losing hair and needing constant iv drips of Iron and this and that.... It scared the hell out of me... My 3 weeks of shakes starts 2 Jan so not far away and then surgery 23.... Will be nice to not need BP medication anymore :) I just hope the surgery hoes smoothly and I don't need to be opened up now

If you did your homework and got a good surgeon, you should be just fine. There are risks associated with any surgery. I frankly think some of the scare stories are over-hyped, to "encourage" people to stick to the diet. That's the key: don't cheat and follow the instructions. This is all about getting back in control, so keep your hands on the wheel.

I get my supplements in a package deal, and I take two multi Vitamins a day and three calcium/magnesium supplements. The package includes an Iron supplement but my nutritionist said I didn';t need it becahse there are no signs of anemia. I also suffer from severe guy-ness, and I understand ladies are at a greater risk of Iron deficiency. So far I have added in a B Complex sublingual pill once a day. I learned a lot about Vitamins when I was on the Adkins diet (which worked very well for me, I lost 80 pounds and held off the diabetes for a few years). I'm accustomed to taking supplements by the handful anyway.

I'm proceeding into the world of solid food. Being able to eat a slice of turkey and some mashed potatoes, as well as a small piece of pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving dinner was a triumph. No one remarked on m small portions, they told me I looked great and we talked about other things. Actual life, who would have thought? Since then I have baked a ham and divided it up into appropriate serving sizes in ziplock bags. Works great, and I really look forward to it. I think it's important for your attitude that you don't feel deprived. I don't spend time looking at ice cream and sighing wistfully...more like "You no longer control me!" I'm figuring out my own strategies and techniques for eating right, and it feels good.

Don't be scared. This can really work. Nothing worthwhile is easy, but it is well worth the effort...YOU are well worth the effort. And when you value yourself enough to work at your quality of life, surprise surprise...other people notice your self-respect and start respecting you too. They can't help themselves.

Yea I have the best surgeon in the city I live in so that's one good thing...... He wouldn't let me book. In. MY date until I lost a portion of weight he said he wanted to me sure that I was trying. I guess all in preparation......

You sound like you are doing sooooooo well :) only my mum knows I'm. Doing this and she's a big support but she's worried........

I went out yesterday bought myself a nutribullet so I can blend up veggies and fruit etc....... So clear fluids for first couple days after surgery is it????? Then fluids for how long????? What types of things would you have for fluids,???? I have read people saying to drink Protein shakes.... Doesn't all the Protein constipate you though Mother of my worries :/

Your surgeon sounds like he is heavily invested in your success. That's great! Don't be afraid to ask him anything that is on your mind. There are NO trivial questions.

Your surgeon will be able to give you a detailed plan for post-surgery food. Generally people are on Clear liquids for a week or so to be certain that everything is healed. I was expecting this, so imagine my surprise when the hospital brought me pureeed food the day after my operation! They knew what they were doing, since they do a lot of RYGB, and I was home on schedule.

I had planned on living on Protein shakes for a week or so, and I had tried a few before surgery so I had settled on one I liked. I don't feel deprived when I can have something that tastes like a chocolate milk shake three times a day! I live in upstate NY near Niagara Falls, and October is apple picking season. My wife made me applesauce with some of the new varieties, and it was like ambrosia. Hard to feel like you're suffering when you're eating apples right off the tree.

A week later we found the miniature blender we used to use to make baby food for the kids, and I started with tuna fish, green Beans and more applesauce. I learned to scramble an egg with 1/4 teaspoon of olive oil and some pepper, and things seemed like they were getting back to reality. As the weeks went by I made ham salad with diced ham and lowfat mayo in the little blender, and progressed from Fuji to Empire apples. Thanksgiving was when I was scheduled to hit solid food, and I could probably have done it sooner, but it seemed appropriate to wait and Celebrate. I even had a small glass of wine. Our wines up here on the Niagara Frontier are exceptional, just like our apples.

Your mom sounds just as supportive as my wife and daughter have been to me. It helps a lot to have someone going through the process with you, keeping you honest and upbeat! Attitude is very important, it has direct physical results. The better your attitude the healthier you will be. It sounds like you're making a good start.

I would encourage you to learn all you can. I bought several books when I decided to get serious about the bypass. The best one is the reason why I'm here...The Big Book of the Gastric Bypass was written by the guy who started bariatricpal.com. It wasn't my first read, because I thought it might be a sales pitch for the web site, but when I got into it I realized that my first impression was wrong. It lays out exactly what the experience is like and what you can expect, pulling no punches and doing no weaseling. I recommend it highly. Snag the Kindle version and use it as a reference as you go. Knowledge really is power.

Yeah my mum is great and she is a retired nurse..... I think her concern was the same as mine... I don't want to get sick from ask of nutrients as I got made redundant in sept I'm looking for work also whilst I study ft at university so I don't wanna be having huge amounts of time off....

So clear fluids like just Water,????? Lol my surgeon didn't have the best bed side manner until back in sept I cried my eyes out in his rooms because my weight wasn't budging and I'd hoped to have it before Christmas now I'm kinda glad it's after.....

Oooooo new York is on my destination list next my mum wants to go too..... Tell me were you in a lot of pain after surgery?????

I'm really scared about open surgery I don't want that..... So my surgeon has Said the more I lose before hand the less chance of open surgery so yes I'm trying my hardest but over Christmas sucks a but....

Can I ask.... Did you lose hair?? I already know I'm gonna miss fizzy drinks... Are we not allowed them at all ever???? I drink sugar free now anyways but yeah.....

Your wife and kids sound great..... My mum is already eating cotrectly to stay online with me lol but she's devo that she will be the only one eating properky for a while.... Do people know you've had the bypass done???? I've told no one I don't want peoples thoughts of oh she took the easy option because I'm not but can't run these days after a horse riding accident I which I put on all this weight after and now I'm trying to get rid of it.... I've never been a size, 10 I hope I get to that.....

My hair was getting thinner anyways, since I'm an old geezer. I think it might be getting a tad thinner but it's hard to tell. I' going to ask my nutritionist about it next week. I haven't noticed any hair falling out or sticking to combs or anything.

I can relate to the redundancy. I was a government consultant until last May when political shenanigans cut the budget and they didn't pick up the last two years of my contract. I had plenty of time for the surgery since I've been filling in the gaps with my small mail order hobby business. I also started a new career narrating audiobooks. It gave me plenty of time to deal with the surgery but no insurance to pay for it. I managed, and it was worth it.

Your mon's a nurse? What could be better than having your own in-house medical professional! If you and your mom want to travel a bit next spring, come and see Niagara Falls and visit me. My grandfather planted an arboretum with rare trees and built an amazing house out of Medina sandstone. Now that I've inherited the place I'm setting up an educational nonprofit to manage the arboretum. Take a look at www.robinhillpreserve.com to see some pictures. If you come in the fall you can enjoy the apples, and the wine is good all year round!

I had surprisingly little pain from surgery. They wrapped me with a wide band that held my muscles together, which I wore for five weeks. My surgeon was excellent. No problems with healing from the laproscopic incision. I still have most of the prescription painkiller they sent me home with.

The more you lose ahead of time, the better your chance that the surgery will stay laparoscopic. They do so much of this kind of surgery these days. They can even remove your gall bladder without converting the procedure to open. If you impress your surgeon with your dedication your chances should improve. The surgeon doesn't want to surprise you, so if he thought it might turn into an open procedure he would certainly tell you.