Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weird question. I need help.

Ok I'm almost 4 weeks post op. I've been to my 2 week dr appt already but forgot to ask the dr. He did mention that the incisions looked like they were healing ok and that I had the dissolving stitches.

My question is I have what seems like a small filament sticking out of one of the new scars. Very tiny. I can barely see it. I can feel it. I tried pulling on it with tweezers but it's definitely stuck. I'm going to ask the dr about it but my next appt is in two weeks and this is driving me nuts.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Dissolvable stitches can be rejected by the body. They call it "spitting". Pull it up with tweezers and trim it with scissors. I had about 7-8 stitches that came out with my WLS.

Either it will come out or it will dissolve. All of my stitches that spit ended up coming out.

If you have dissolving stitches it will eventually dissolve. Eventually

Just trim it so it doesn't bother you

I had this problem with 4 of my incisions and had to clip them before the would heal. I still have one that continues to scab up in the corner where the stitch rejected. When I talked to the nurse she said it would just take time. My surgery was on 9/29.

My daughter had heart surgery 10 years ago and still occasionally will have a random stitch pop up - we just pull them out with tweezers and/or trim them so they don't bother her. Her dr said he's never heard of anyone having them take so long to dissolve...... but it is normal.

Wow! That is crazy! And might I add yuck!

I had one stitch that stuck out of one of my incisions, it eventually dissolved and went back into the incision. I did not try to pull it out or cut it. The same thing happened when had knee surgery.

Thanks everyone. I ended up cutting it close. It still bothers me but not as much now that I know what it is.

I had the same issue...only with one of the incisions. Just left it alone and is now gone. Healed fine, but did tell my surgeon and he checked it...said it was normal.