Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Difficulty Eating/Drinking Enough (4d post op)

Its been 4days since the surgery, I relatively feel little to no pain when sitting or laying still. However I need to stay hydrated and ever sip I take (Water, g2, Protein, broth, meds) cause my body make various grumbling sounds all over my chest and stomach as if my body is sounding off while the liquid travels. It is such an odd feeling that I don't want to eat/drink much. Sometimes it hurts were it grumbles, sometimes it makes me breifly nauseous.

I have a shot glass I'm using to sip my drinks, usually takes me 3 sips to finish the glass so I feel like I'm not getting anywhere. Would it be bad to just drink like a regular person?

Is it just me? I don't understand how I can finish a full Protein shake it would take me 12 hours like this factoring in I fall asleep.

Any feedback or tips is greatly appreciated.

Sounds normal to me. Just keep trying to fit in as much as you can. As the swelling goes down, you'll be able to fit more and more.

It took a week before I got in all of the liquids and Protein that I was supposed to have. It is normal. Your body is experiencing some major changes. Just keep at it. It will get better!

3 days out so pleased its over seem to be fine except I can only sip when I'm walking as everything, liquid gets stuck. However doing well. I wish all you new sleevers a good and pain free journey .

Can't wait to start a healthier lifestyle !

@@HawaiianTexan My stomach made all those crazy "demon" sounds in the beginning too...I'm a month out and it's rarely does that anymore, it never hurt though. To answer your question NO you cannot drink like a regular person unless you want to hurt or puke! You just have to go through the process like everyone else...slow and easy does it! It will get better Though. I can almost drink like a "regular" person now just give it time! : )-

@@Elode is right on with what she wrote.

I want to add that you need to be persistant; it is VERY important that you not get dehydrated right now. This is an especially risky time for dehydration. Just keep on sipping like it is your job.

It will indeed get better!

Anyone who knows the answer--I hear about a lot of restriction right after surgery. How does anyone get in the 30g of Protein they're supposed to have to recover?

@Skywalker. It was a lot easier for me right after surgery if I combined my need for liquids with the requirement for Protein. I drank the Isopure clear drinks with 40 grams of Protein.

@Skywalker. It was a lot easier for me right after surgery if I combined my need for liquids with the requirement for Protein. I drank the Isopure clear drinks with 40 grams of Protein.< /p>

I agree...I am 9 days out and got my protein in using Isopure. It was an all day process in the early days.

How do you know if you are dehydrated?

@@Dreamingofhealth, your urine would get dark, you might go less, and have things like headaches and dizziness