Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Using a straw to drink your fluids

My nutritionist told me that I should not drink fluids through a straw due to the fact that It could give you gas and stretch out the pouch. I am been doing a lot of walking and I'm now doing a 5K walk run almost twice a month has anybody experience the amount of gas that it makes you uncomfortable with drinking through a straw? I'm looking into getting a camelback but I don't want to cause my self harm.

Edited by mamie60

I'm about three months out and have not knowingly experienced any negative side effects from drinking from a straw.

I was told not to drink thru a straw, but im not going to chance it. However my waterbottle I use has a big straw, I do drink from that until it gets to a certain level and then i start taking the lid off.

My surgeon said that if it doesn't bother me to use a straw I can, however it does bother my stomach, so if I can avoid it I do. I don't think that air can stretch your pouch though! I am doing my first 5 k on Thanksgiving, I do like to drink while I exercise, so a camelback may not be a bad idea!

I haven't noticed a difference between using a straw and not using a straw.

wait. so using a straw can stretch your stomach pouch? huh? the only things i've heard that do that is the fizz from soda and regular excessive eating.

drinking through a straw? never heard of it.

Side say with a straw you sick in more air and that's what can stretch the stomach.

right after refusemy surgery I felt I was swallowing more air when not using a straw and a straw helped reduce the air.

I guess everyone is different with everything and sometimes Drs aren't always right.

Stupid Swype autocorrect.... grrrrrr

told never to use a straw and in recovery low and behold they offered me a drink with a straw in it !! boy was the surgeon mad when he saw it even though the nurses told him i refuse it, he blew a gasket.

He blew a gasket at you?? Or at the nurses?

Look up Dr. Matthew Weiner on YouTube - he has a series of great videos about WLS. The straw thing is a myth according to him. I do much better getting Water down with a straw, so I use one. I waited until I was more than 6 weeks past surgery before starting with a straw again and have done fine. I think the most important thing after any type of WLS is to listen to your body and follow the cues - if it bothers your body, don't do it.

I agree.

Even our family Dr overrode our bariatric Dr on our frequency of eating and I agreed with him. There's been a few unrealistic "rules" our bariatric Dr tells his patients that are against common sense even. We no longer go to him, for those and other major reasons.

Like I said, I drink less air with a straw than I do just drinking out of a cup. To each his/her own.

Oh, and our bariatric Dr is "one of the top bariatric drs in Texas". Ya, that's what they all say. Whatever. Neglect is neglect, and I hold grudges.

Sorry, I'm still not over it and my whole experience with him.