Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Sleeve patients lose less?

I had my pre op visit with the surgeon's P.A. today and he told me to expect that band to sleeve patients lose less than if you ust had the sleeve the first time. I am upset about this and not sure if what he said is true. Anyone ever heard this before? I am wondering if maybe I should change to RNY instead.

Hi, kjd612--

I've heard this, too, but I have yet to hear an explanation as to why. Did your surgeon explain beyond telling you revised patients typically lose less?

B~

I had the band to sleeve almost 10 months ago. I didn't hear that until after my surgery. First loss 85 pounds with my band would still have the band but had two slippage and my insurance wouldn't pay. I was told two close to goal weight and also wouldn't feel like I had a sleeve for several months. All was true. I never had the feeling of surgery until one week ago. I lost no weight. Now I am forcing myself to eat and has lost 9 pounds

Lost 160# since my band to sleeve revision

Ok cowgirl jane is this normal what is happening to me? I think I am just feeling like I had surgery. The surgeon told me would be several months but didn't think this long

cu

Ok cowgirl jane is this normal what is happening to me? I think I am just feeling like I had surgery. The surgeon told me would be several months but didn't think this long

Never heard of a dr saying that u wouldn't feel anything for months. My greatest restriction was early on. Now that I'm 17 mths out, it's much less. Close to goal however. It doesn't even make sense that ur just now feeling ur sleeve. It relaxes over time making it less "tight" than early on.

Good luck! I wish u the best!

I've heard this as well, to my understanding it is at least partly because previous bandsters get used to having that food in your throat feeling, so might be more prone to over eat. However, I have lost 30 lbs since my revision surgery 7 weeks ago, so maybe a little slower than my higher bmi counterparts, but I wouldn't say slow in general. Everyone is different.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. After a few days to think this over and do a little research I've decided to just let it go and have the sleeve surgey. I am going to obey the rules, treat my body kindly and show my doctor what success looks like!! thanks all!

I asked my doctor about band to sleeve patients losing less and he had a very good reply. Most people when they get the band, were larger then when they get to sleeve. The bigger you are, the faster you will initially lose the weight. Also, most people who start a totally new diet are initially really good at it and stick with it. Once you've been on it for awhile you have a tendency to be more lax, meaning when you initially get the band, you were more strict with yourself then when you get sleeve you may not be as strict.

I hope I'm explaining as good as it was explained to me, because it really made sense. I'm still going ahead with the sleeve and will try very hard to be as strict with it as I was initially with the band.

Did you have a band? I lost 85 pounds with the band and has been told that is one of the reason no weight loss and because so close to goal. I am glad not the only person with the problem

cu

Never heard of a dr saying that u wouldn't feel anything for months. My greatest restriction was early on. Now that I'm 17 mths out, it's much less. Close to goal however. It doesn't even make sense that ur just now feeling ur sleeve. It relaxes over time making it less "tight" than early on.

Good luck! I wish u the best!

my surgeon told me that after my revision, as I was at goal weight with a slipped band everything is great now except that I loved the restriction feeling as I don't have that anymore, I'm only 8 weeks out and I'm looking forward to restriction in future possibly January I've been told.

I had my band out last week and converted to a sleeve and lost 20 lbs so far. My doctor said I would lose slower because the initial weight had already been taken off by the band. He said I would lose like I did 5 to 6 months after I got the band. I really just wanted to he able to make healthy food choices and the band wouldn't allow me to eat Protein. I think a lot of band patients may struggle with a sleeve because we are used to eating slider foods. A lot of what we ate with the band is not what we should eat now! I have to say I was so excited to swallow a large pill today and not worry about throwing it up!

I know that feeling. I was excited to eat fruit after the sleeve. I have increased my physical activity so I think will be ok. I was happy with the 85 pounds loss. I need to lose 20 pounds to be at goal