Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone use protein shots?

Started my 1 week pre-op liquid diet today. Doctor had said that my tastebuds would likely change after surgery, but I found that they have already changed. Protein powders and ready to drink shakes that I have been using all summer were nearly impossible to get down. Don't think I came close to the 60-70 grams I'm supposed to get.

I found some Protein Shots online starting at 26g up to 50g in SMALL bottles, 3-4 oz, I'm thinking that would be a lot easier to get down than 8-11 ounces for powders or ready to drink. Have any of you tried them? The one with 50g is from beef not whey or soy. Wonder if it is OK? 2 of those would give more than enough protein for a day a heck of a lot less to drink.

Haven't tried these but would love to. I, too, can't stand the Protein Shakes I had pre-op. not getting near enough Protein.< /p>

We had to buy one called Provide Gold liquid Protein. its like 28g of Protein in 1oz shot. They taste horrible though.

The folks who make the 5 hour energy drinks also manufacture a whey Protein shot- I believe it's about 42 grams of Protein in a 3-4 ounce "tube". In my first week or so post-op when I didn't want to drink much of anything, I was able to get down one shake and one of these protein shot tubes in a day. They're not a bad price, especially if you can get them from a place like Wal-Mart, but I'd be remiss if I didn't comment about the taste. Be careful not to let the juicy looking fruits on the packaging lure you into thinking that's what they'll actually taste like. IMO, they were dreadful- very syrupy and sour- I have no idea how anyone could knock a full tube back like an actual shot.

Gag........I was provided with them in the hospital......some kind of peach flavor that tasted more like motor oil..........blech!!!!!....could not get it down.

The folks who make the 5 hour energy drinks also manufacture a whey Protein shot- I believe it's about 42 grams of protein in a 3-4 ounce "tube". In my first week or so post-op when I didn't want to drink much of anything, I was able to get down one shake and one of these protein shot tubes in a day. They're not a bad price, especially if you can get them from a place like Wal-Mart, but I'd be remiss if I didn't comment about the taste. Be careful not to let the juicy looking fruits on the packaging lure you into thinking that's what they'll actually taste like. IMO, they were dreadful- very syrupy and sour- I have no idea how anyone could knock a full tube back like an actual shot.

Do you remember what they were called? Or were they in a bottle like the 5hr or a plastic tube?

I'm 5+ years post op and I use New Whey Liquid Protein shots at times. 42 grams in 3 ounces. They aren't fantastic tasting but who cares. ... It's 3 ounces. Hold your nose and "enjoy"! :)

I'm 5+ years post op and I use New Whey liquid Protein Shots at times. 42 grams in 3 ounces. They aren't fantastic tasting but who cares. ... It's 3 ounces. Hold your nose and "enjoy"! :)

That's the one. I bought three tubes of it hoping it would be good. It's not completely disgusting but not at all the best thing. I think it says it has milk in it too which I thought was the reason for the thickness. Have you ever put it in Water or something to thin it our change the taste a little?

I'm 5+ years post op and I use New Whey Liquid Protein Shots at times. 42 grams in 3 ounces. They aren't fantastic tasting but who cares. ... It's 3 ounces. Hold your nose and "enjoy"! :)

That's the one. I bought three tubes of it hoping it would be good. It's not completely disgusting but not at all the best thing. I think it says it has milk in it too which I thought was the reason for the thickness. Have you ever put it in Water or something to thin it our change the taste a little?

I know at first it sounds like a benefit......3 ounces and 40+grams of Protein........ But in the bigger picture as you and your sleeve adjust, it's not really necessary.

My daily routine is about 1000-1500 calories and 8-10+ glasses of fluids. So with all that food and drink needed anyway, there is not much reason to cram all the Protein in a gross tasting little 3 ounces of sludge. If it takes me 20oz. of a drink to get in my 40g.........so what. ;)

Edited by Recycled

I take them along when I travel....easy to pack in luggage.

The whey Protein Shots aren't bad at all, i refrigerate mine. And they remind me of Jello shots- minus the vodka. My dietician said i cant have Protein Shakes the week after surgery, so clear stuff like the whey Protein shots will be my source of protein.

I found them for $2.68 at Walmart, and Kroger had them on sale for $2.00.

I heard they are yucky! But most super high Protein concentrates are!

Edited by Elode

Ask your doctor about GENEPRO Protein, I tried a sample from them of their ultra refined powder and mixed it in with everything from hot tea and coffee to Peanut Butter and cream cheese on a cracker. It literally has no taste and doesn't mess with the consistency of things, but I have a hard time buying that its Protein content is as high as it claims. I haven't asked my doc about it yet but will see him in late December so if you see yours first, go for it. Try it out too, you can get a little sample pack from them for like 1.50 on Amazon it has a lot of great reviews and only one or two not so great.

Edited by GummyTummy

Hmmmm supposedly we can only handle 20 grams at a time. Is there any way of posting the ingredients on these Protein Shots? I saw some that had caffeine. Fake sugars. That's why I am asking.