Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days post op and it still doesn't feel real...

I had my Gastric Bypass on friday November 21st and was home from the hospital yesterday afternoon, Sunday. It seems like everything went really smoothly... I just can't get over this feeling of- did I really do this? Has anyone else experienced this? For me it might have something to do with how quickly everything happened... I got my approval from insurance 3 weeks after submitting everything, and the day my surgeon's office called to tell me, they said there was a date open in one week! It all happened so fast its a little overwhelming. But definitely in a good way!

I am definitely nervous, and excited, about the journey I've begun... I would love to find someone who had surgery around the same time as me to be a "buddy". I do have support at home but not the greatest.... and really I think its incredibly difficult for people who have not gone through this process to really get it.

I am still sip sip sipping my Water, eating Jello and sugar free popsicles and so far haven't really been that hungry. My main issue has been sleep- it hurts! A lot! I am trying to find a comfortable position but will probably end up propping myself up on the couch. Who would have thought I'd ever be wishing for the hospital bed back? lol

Anyway my thoughts and feelings are kind of all over the place, but I'd love to hear from anyone and everyone out there with advice for a newbie like me. Thanks!

I am two weeks post op. Congratulations on your new beginning. Everything will slowly come into perspective with time. As for sleeping, omg, I missed my hospital bed for the first few days too. Don't worry about tomorrows, just work on getting through todays. My pain has faded into a little soarness. I'm currently sleeping in a tomb of pillows to keep comfy. Keep trying till you find your comfy spot.

I am 6 days post op and I have the same feeling, of wow did I really do this?! I am too sleeping best propped up on the couch. Laying is ok, but I can't the whole night. I wake up way to sore. Good luck to you!

Hi Newbie I'm 8 days out and wow you did go through quick! I thank God for my 8 month process because without that I don't think I would have been prepared Mentally! ! Its still unreal to me too and through the 8 month weight loss program w/ primary care and Dietician I have already lost 30lbs. And surgery was 11/18/2014. Don't worry it will All come together!

Hi!!! My surgery was Nov 20th! I too came home Sunday. So far so good. Everyday is getting a little easier as far as pain goes. I was able to sleep on my side briefly last night. Notice I said briefly. The pain started to get to me and I ended up on my back. My first morning home I felt like a turtle stuck on her back. I couldn't get upright for the life of me! Yesterday was my first pain medication free day. So happy about that. I have lost 13 pounds already!! Hard to believe. I guess even if it's Water weight I'll take it. :) best wishes to you! :)

Edited by ladylace

Hello. I'm about 3 1/2 weeks out, and I had 6 months to prepare. Yet I felt the same way as you my first few days home. It was like, "Did I really voluntarily have a major surgery on my body, and now I can't eat certain foods like I used to? Did what happened really happened?" I noticed a couple of things now. One is that the pain, the sleepless nights, they get better everyday. Secondly, I notic that I'm really understanding my body better, and its needs. I'm walking everyday. I'm planning my Protein, Water, and pureed food daily, and I'm really enjoying this new outlook on life.

Just my thoughts to your post, which I though was excellent!

I am just ahead of you NewJeffrey. I am 4 weeks out, and can only have soft foods, Water and Protein drinks. I had 6 months to adjust to the idea from start to finish, and I know now I really needed that. The key for me is to get up and move, drink Water all day, and get the Protein in. Walking really helps. I used the brush your teeth aid and ate sugar free cough drops with the eucalyptus flavor and that seemed to help too. Keep in touch all you Nov club members.

Hi my surgery was on the 17 of November 2014 in the uk, i had tons of medical evaluations and mental ones and i had to lose 5% of my body mass, i managed all this, went through surgery and it still doesn't feel real.

i still take paracetamol of a night and i ate a puree sweet potatoe which was watered down to Soup like substance yesterday (still rather fancied my daughters spring rolls) finding eating actually causes discomfort, even a small amount but this is probably because its new right ? well it will make me stick to the diet.

as i am disabled i have just got a treadmill and today i start walking, hope i dont come off the back i'll never get back on my feet again,

I am 3 day post op and still have pain! Would love to buddy up with you!! My surgery was the 26th of November! I converted my sleeve i got done two years ago!! So i have been there and still need a buddy

I was really uncomfortable for about a week, and then it gradually began to subside. You will too! Drink, walk and protein..... Rest in there too. Remember your bod was assaulted and needs the time to repair itself.

Great wishes for a speedy recovery

I was really uncomfortable for about a week, and then it gradually began to subside. You will too! Drink, walk and Protein..... Rest in there too. Remember your bod was assaulted and needs the time to repair itself.

Thank you this to shall pass i am a strong and positive person! Just miserable at the very moment! ????

I am 3 day post op and still have pain! Would love to buddy up with you!! My surgery was the 26th of November! I converted my sleeve i got done two years ago!! So i have been there and still need a buddy

Meplus it gets better everyday. As someone else said get up and active (Even if its walking in the house). When it was my first few days home every two hours I walked, indoors, 300 - 500 steps. I did that until I had done 2500 steps for the day. Then I started into my Protein requirements (80 -100 grams a day), and my Water (64 ounces a day). If you do that you will feel better on a daily basis! :-) :-)

Stay in touch.

New Jeffrey

Meplus it gets better everyday. As someone else said get up and active (Even if its walking in the house). When it was my first few days home every two hours I walked, indoors, 300 - 500 steps. I did that until I had done 2500 steps for the day. Then I started into my Protein requirements (80 -100 grams a day), and my Water (64 ounces a day). If you do that you will feel better on a daily basis! :-) :-)

Stay in touch.

New Jeffrey

Thanks Jeffrey!! I will keep u posted it hurts to even walk all my pain is my left side.

Yeah the left side. My Docs said that the left side is where they do most of the work, including inserting their stapler gun inside of us to stitch up our intestines and the abdominal muscle wall. So its "counterintuitive" but the more you walk (in spite of discomfort) the better you'll get. BUT remember to get your rest to because we just had major surgery.