Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Buddy to motivate me

I need a buddy to tell me to go to the gym lol. Me changing my body isn't enough anymore I need a huge inspiration jump that'll get me to tell my self get your ass to the gym.

Have you had your surgery yet? I had my gastric sleeve on Nov 4th, and when I had my post-op appointment with the surgeon and got my staples out, I asked when I could go back to swimming in the pool (indoor one at a gym) and do Water aerobics. Since I was healing so well, he cleared me that day. It feels so good to swim laps and do Water aerobics and it isn't hard on the body that's still healing on the inside. The lap swimming I do is helping to tighten up some loose skin under my arms (bat wings) and tighten up some of the other muscles. You'll be happy to get out and exercising --- it'll raise your endorphin levels too to fight off any depression you may have over foods you can't eat or not supposed to eat yet too.

Exercise doesn't have to be at a gym, but the sooner you start exercising the better you will feel. Just remember to listen to your body--if it starts to hurt, it's time to stop or slow down.

Have you had your surgery yet? I had my gastric sleeve on Nov 4th, and when I had my post-op appointment with the surgeon and got my staples out, I asked when I could go back to swimming in the pool (indoor one at a gym) and do Water aerobics. Since I was healing so well, he cleared me that day. It feels so good to swim laps and do Water aerobics and it isn't hard on the body that's still healing on the inside. The lap swimming I do is helping to tighten up some loose skin under my arms (bat wings) and tighten up some of the other muscles. You'll be happy to get out and exercising --- it'll raise your endorphin levels too to fight off any depression you may have over foods you can't eat or not supposed to eat yet too.

Exercise doesn't have to be at a gym, but the sooner you start exercising the better you will feel. Just remember to listen to your body--if it starts to hurt, it's time to stop or slow down.

Yeah 10/30 was my surgery I remember just wanting to go lift weights and I still do I want to start so bad but the idea of getting up getting changed and doing it isn't really clicking and making me get up! I was thinking of water aerobics but it's freezing where I live and although my gym has an inside pool ever since surgery I get really cold really fast so I don't think I can handle it. I also have been telling myself to go straight after work but that hasn't happened yet.

If I wait around for self motivation or someone else to motivate me, then I may end up waiting around forever. Motivation usually doesn't begin until I'm 5-10 minutes in the workout. Try to find an exercise that is fun, so it doesn't feel so much like a chore. Good luck!

@@Aribay1 - Get your ass to the gym!

I hope that helps!

Yeah 10/30 was my surgery I remember just wanting to go lift weights and I still do I want to start so bad but the idea of getting up getting changed and doing it isn't really clicking and making me get up! I was thinking of Water aerobics but it's freezing where I live and although my gym has an inside pool ever since surgery I get really cold really fast so I don't think I

can handle it. I also have been telling myself to go straight

after work but that hasn't happened yet.

You just said it. Take your stuff with you in the morning and go straight to the gym after work. It's cold. If I go home, I'm NOT, going back out. Couch and hot cocoa here I come.

Hello!

I had such a hard time getting motivated first starting out, and even, sometimes. It's so easy to just stay in bed and watch a murder mystery marathon or read two more chapters. It's hard after working my a-double-s off each day (I have a stand up job, uuugh) to get my work out shoes on and go for a walk or a hike. It sucks! But I just do it. Nike style lol. I know that if I sit down after I get off work then I'm not getting back up. I set my workout clothes out before work as a reminder and try not to give myself time to decide to not go. I also recruit my husband or a friend to work out with me as additional support. Also I know that they won't let me cancel on them because they know it's important.

After you get over that initial "Ughhhh do I really have to exercise?" mind set you'll find that it's enjoyable! I chase that high that I get afterwards. And I've found exercise really is good for my mental health. It calms me down after a stressful day, or it works me down that I just don't have enough energy to care lol It feels soooooo good, believe me!

So what I'm trying to say here is just do it! You won't want to. No magical force is going to make you want to until after you start. Nobody else can make you do it. YOU have to do it. I believe in you! :D

Honestly, it's a mindset. Until you have made up your mind to workout, no excuses, it will be very hard to be successful. Having the mindset and getting there is 90% of the battle. The working out part is easy. Find something you like and start there. Good luck to you.

If I wait around for self motivation or someone else to motivate me, then I may end up waiting around forever. Motivation usually doesn't begin until I'm 5-10 minutes in the workout. Try to find an exercise that is fun, so it doesn't feel so much like a chore. Good luck!

I know i love zumba but actually getting up and going to class is a task within its self

@@Aribay1 - Get your ass to the gym!

I hope that helps!

Lol thanks!

Hello!

I had such a hard time getting motivated first starting out, and even, sometimes. It's so easy to just stay in bed and watch a murder mystery marathon or read two more chapters. It's hard after working my a-double-s off each day (I have a stand up job, uuugh) to get my work out shoes on and go for a walk or a hike. It sucks! But I just do it. Nike style lol. I know that if I sit down after I get off work then I'm not getting back up. I set my workout clothes out before work as a reminder and try not to give myself time to decide to not go. I also recruit my husband or a friend to work out with me as additional support. Also I know that they won't let me cancel on them because they know it's important.

After you get over that initial "Ughhhh do I really have to exercise?" mind set you'll find that it's enjoyable! I chase that high that I get afterwards. And I've found exercise really is good for my mental health. It calms me down after a stressful day, or it works me down that I just don't have enough energy to care lol It feels soooooo good, believe me!

So what I'm trying to say here is just do it! You won't want to. No magical force is going to make you want to until after you start. Nobody else can make you do it. YOU have to do it. I believe in you! :D

Thanks! Yeah you understand then because I have a stand up job too and I work at a bakery so some days I don't even get a break ever. I just want to go home and sit!

Honestly, it's a mindset. Until you have made up your mind to workout, no excuses, it will be very hard to be successful. Having the mindset and getting there is 90% of the battle. The working out part is easy. Find something you like and start there. Good luck to you.

I guess I need help in the mindset part because it's in my mind it's just not set ya know?

Surprisingly, indoor pool Water is not that super cold! It feels like it when you first put your toe in the Water, but if you gradually enter the pool and then immerse yourself, then start doing laps or whatever swimming you do, you warm up naturally as your body adjusts to the water temperature. It is so soothing to me to be in the water, and the stiffness lets up. If you're worried about being too cold after you leave the water, take a thick beach towel with you to wrap up in and use your gym's shower facilities to wash down with. Stay in the gym until you're dry so the cold air outside doesn't chill you. Thankfully the health center I belong to has full locker, shower and even blow-dryers by the mirrors to completely dry off and warm up. I know I'm centering my posts about water, but you said you are on your feet all day, and water exercise is practically a weightless exercise so it's easy on those sore joints after a long day at work.

If water doesn't work for you, I'm sure there are ellipticals or something that is not super hard on your body as you are still recuperating from surgery. Of course, the old standby of putting a headset on and walk to your favorite tunes at the gym or an indoor shopping mall.