Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery with a leg cast !?

Hello everyone I was wondering if anyone has ever had bariatric surgery with a leg cast? I had ankle surgery due to a torn tendon and I'm currently in a cast. Unfortunately this has put a huge dent in my plans for my sleeve surgery. I am waffling back and forth on if I should hold off on my bariatric surgery which should be taking place mid December. I was really hoping to have it in December in order to avoid restarting my insurance deductibles all over again which have already been paid for the year but I'm really worried about my limited movement after the surgery due to the cast on my leg. Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions?

I haven't read of anyone going thru this with a healing injury and cast. I think you should talk w/ your surgeon and PC doc or orthopedist about it. Is it a walking cast? Can you put any weight on that leg? You need to be able to walk after WLS but just gentle, normal walking, nothing too taxing in the beginning. My main concern for you would be that your body will be in such a state of trauma trying to heal both your ankle and from the surgery. That's a lot to ask of your body. However, I totally understand the insurance deductible aspect and financial concerns and your desire to move forward as planned. I wish you all the best whatever you decide.

I don't think that would be a good idea because blood clots are a major risk with major surgery. They can kill you. To help prevent them you are fitted with these sleeves over your legs that pump air into them to allow for better blood flow to the legs. A cast would prevent that.

I agree with the concerns mentioned above. Have you discussed this with your surgeon? I would discuss with them to see if they have any suggestions for how to make it work, or to find out if it's just a deal breaker. You want to set yourself up for success, so even if you have to wait a little longer, just make sure you plan this out in a way that will be safe and healthy for you. You'll get there!

limited movement after the surgery due to the cast on my leg.

@@morgana47

sorry bud :(

the die has been "cast" ;)

i don't think doc will perform surgery :(

blood clots et al/other complications

many things could go south :(

you will get past this setback

i know you are determined for surgery :)

WLS will happen

don't get discouraged

practice the Water rules :)

don't drink for about 30 minutes before you eat

never drink with your meals :angry:

don't eat for 45-60 minutes after you eat :angry:

drink lots and lots and then lots of water

"TRY" and loose some weight at this difficult time

Don't GAIN any weight

all the above is easier said than done

but i know you can do it, really i do :)

you are experiencing a setback

don't let it stop you from WLS

hope you are not hurting toooo much

you and ankle/leg feel better soon

good luck

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Thank you everyone for answering back I had actually already talked to my bariatric surgeon and he didn't think there would be an issue with doing the surgery... I'm not completely immobile I can't put any weight on that one leg but I'm getting around on a knee scooter at the current time and that's going to be for a total of 2 months, by the time I have the bariatric surgery I will still have 2 to 3 weeks remaining with my cast on. Even though the doctor said it shouldn't be an issue I've been reading a lot of post of things that could go wrong (nausea, weakness, leaks, gallbladder issues), by the way can someone explain slimies to me, everyone keeps mentioning them but not what they are and I have these absolutely horrific ideas at this point, but anyway I think my main concern is that something really goes wrong with the bariatric surgery and not being able to be fully mobile if it does.

I would be far more concerned about a blood clot than anything else. I had ankle surgery, with no complications, and due to my ankle being immobilized in a boot, I developed a dvt. The hemo doc expressed frustration because for some reason, the surgeons don't do any thing to prevent clots after ankle surgery, and it is becomming an increased issue. If your surgeon says you are okay to do it, go for it, but ask for something to help prevent blood clots. I was fortunate, mine totally went away, and I did not develop one in pregnancy, or delivery.

How did you figure out you had DVT?.. Was it underneath the boot? And do you mean I should ask my bariatric surgeon for something for a blood clot if I do decide to get bariatric surgery or do you mean I should just talk to my foot Dr now in regards to the anti blood clot medication? By the way thanks for this information I would never have even thought of something like this

FWIW I have to be off any anti inflammatory meds for 4 weeks prior and after my surgery because they could interfere with clotting. You certainly don't want to inhibit clotting before your surgery and I would think it would be risky afterwards if you had any complications.

As eager as you are to begin your journey and avoid additional deductibles, my suggestion would be to wait. You know the old saying - an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Best of luck with whatever road you choose!

Thank you everyone so much for all of your advice it has really helped. I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who just had the sleeve done a week ago and she told me that with all I'm going through now with crawling upstairs lifting myself in the sitting positions with just my arms ect, she told me to for sure wait also so I think I'm going to probably go to my doctor and see what my options are as far as holding off until I'm up on two legs, again thank you all for your advice and suggestions

I had massive pain in my calf, like a horrible pain, meds did nothing to touch. I would speak to your bariatric surgeon. As far as inhibiting clotting, many bariatric surgeons give Lovenox injections before, and after surgery, as a precaution. People with clotting disorders have surgery all the time. If your bariatric surgeon doesn't see an issue with having the surgery now, I would do it. :)

I was put in double walking boots last November, one month before my sleeve surgery in December. I had Charcot foot in both feet, and needed to have the bones stabilized for a minimum of three months. Though I was in double boots, I was able to walk and move, so I was able to do the ten minutes of movement every hour following my sleeve surgery. I also took Heparin injections for the first ten days post-op. The foot issues did not slow my initial weight loss, but two more foot surgeries this year, along with strict restrictions since, has slowed my weight loss. Still, though I've been practically immobile for almost 9 of the last 11+ months, I've lost 85 pounds this year. I'm frustrated by my currently slow weight loss, but I am so thankful for my sleeve because crawling up stairs and maneuvering on one foot is SO much easier than it would have been 85 pounds ago. Just today, I've had some restrictions lifted, allowing me to walk again, and I'm hopeful that my continued focus in the kitchen, along with some physical activity, will get the scale to trend downward once again. FYI -- I can't remember her name now, but a year ago, there was a wheelchair-bound young lady on here who indirectly inspired me to move forward. She wasn't able to get up and move around, but her surgeon was able to formulate a good plan for her to prevent DVTs. By the time I encountered her, she's lost a ton of weight, and was so much happier and healthier.