Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Have No Motivation That Pushes Me

It sucks to make yourself get up and do it when you hurt. And I can only guess that you do. I certainly did almost 100 pounds ago. At some point, I had to decide what I wanted more... To be one with my sheets, or to get off my @ss and move! I have congenital hip displasia. Pain since my 20's so I'm fairly limited in WHAT I can do without causing more damage. I finally ended up purchasing a high end exercise bike. It sits in my living room in front of my big screen. In the beginning, I motivated myself by starting a new fairly addictive Netflix series and only allowing myself to watch it from the bike. Believe it or not, Breaking Bad helped me break my bad habit of inactivity! I HAD to know what happened next!

Today, with several more series I wanted to see behind me, I get up at 4:30 am and spend 45-60 min pedaling away enjoying some TV. My motivation now is how it makes me feel when I DO vs when I DON'T. My day is just not right if I don't start it by sweating. I feel heavy and lethargic, my brain seems "slower" and have to watch what I eat much closer as I don't have the extra 400ish calories to play with. And I DON'T like to live like I'm on a diet! At some point you have to stop wishing for what you want and TAKE IT! It's there for you, you just have to decide how badly you want it!

All of these suggestions are good and provide you with a variety of options for getting out of the rut of immobility that you are experiencing. You have to come to the conclusion that your quality of life is more important than the TV. But in the meantime, use that TV to help you get going. You can go to MTV and move to the music. Like the previous suggestions, it may be all you can do to get up and move around your room during the commercial breaks.

I started with Leslie Sansones WALK YOUR BELLY FLAT dvd. I put it in my dvd player of my laptop and ran it simultaneously with what I was watching on TV. My movement was limited due to post-stroke balance issues (caused by my overweight issue. So I would stand in the frame of my walker and walk and march in place to the DVD while I watched the TV.

Then I got to where I could march and walk around my room...then through the house...then outside in the backyard to music from my MP3 player. Speaking of outside: by staying in bed, you are missing out on fresh air and sunlight. The sunlight itself would brighten your spirit and raise your Vitamin D levels.

Check out www. Pandora.com. It is free internet radio and you can design your own channels and music mix. You just start a station naming a few of your favorites, then Pandora generates similar music. You can give each song a thumbs up or thumbs down to tell Pandora whether or not they are getting the music mix right. You can create as many stations as you want. Then you can diddlybop to the music while you watch TV.

If I am doing housework, I will crank up a TV music station that plays Classic Rock Workout with each song having at least 100 beats per minutes. How can you sit still to music like:

Gonna Make You Sweat by C+C Music Factory

Pump Up The Jam by Techtronic

(I Got )The Power by Snap

I'm Too Sexy by Right Said Fred

Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson

Rhythm Nation by Janet Jackson

Womanizer by Britany Spears

Brick House by The Commodors

Another One Bites the Dust by Queen

Hips Don't Lie by Shakira

Or hundreds more.....When the beats stirs you up, then get up and shake that thang. Don't let you current weight make you bedfast and shut-in.

I think that going into this process, I was addicted to Tv as much as I wasto unhealthy food. If nothing else, don't watch the food channels. I am rooting for you!

Oh, I forgot to add.......Sweat is fat crying. ;)

It is very hard to get motivated that is for sure. Don't be so hard on yourself. Give yourself a mini-goal and start today. No excuses. Just try to take a short walk- 5-10 mins. That's a great start. Once you start accomplishing these small mini-goals you will be ready to take on more. I had to wean myself away from the tv. Honestly it was because the food commercials were too tempting. I would get sucked into a marathon tv watching session and saw how much time I was wasting watching other peoples lives while ignoring mine. It gets easier once you see that you can do it. Don't be afraid to ask a friend or family member to help you. I didn't want to walk alone because I was too self-conscious at first.

I know exactly where you are coming from. What kept me going, even at my highest weight... I held down a job. I had to get up and go to work. It was a daily struggle, my feet hurt, my knees hurt, tired and did not feel good. There were a lot of days that I called into work because I just could not push myself any further. Right after the surgery I did not want to leave the house and did not want to move. I set infront of the TV for the month that I was off work. Of course I was loosing weight slowly and stalling because I was doing absolutely no exercises and had every excuse in the world still. As the months have passed....I have started feeling better. I have started parking further from my building and forcing myself to walk four times a day to my car and back. It has been five months now and I'm starting to feel decent again. Everyone at work has made comments about me getting around a lot better (I would sit at my desk all day and wouldn't even get up and go to the bathroom because the bathroom was too far away). I bought an ellipitical peddler for under my desk and I use it several times a day. I have some weights that I lift when I sit infront of the TV. I have more energy now and each day is better. I am getting a shot the next three weeks in both of my knees and then hopefully I will be more mobile. You have just got to make up your mind just the same as you did when you decide to get the surgery. Go back to what motivated you to do the surgery.....was it to live? be healthy? for your children? sick and tired of being sick and tired? and use these motivations to get you up and moving. Get into a local WLS support group. This will really help you when you see and hear other people going through the same thing. You can do this and we got your back!!!

I know exactly where you are coming from. What kept me going, even at my highest weight... I held down a job. I had to get up and go to work. It was a daily struggle, my feet hurt, my knees hurt, tired and did not feel good. There were a lot of days that I called into work because I just could not push myself any further. Right after the surgery I did not want to leave the house and did not want to move. I set infront of the TV for the month that I was off work. Of course I was loosing weight slowly and stalling because I was doing absolutely no exercises and had every excuse in the world still. As the months have passed....I have started feeling better. I have started parking further from my building and forcing myself to walk four times a day to my car and back. It has been five months now and I'm starting to feel decent again. Everyone at work has made comments about me getting around a lot better (I would sit at my desk all day and wouldn't even get up and go to the bathroom because the bathroom was too far away). I bought an ellipitical peddler for under my desk and I use it several times a day. I have some weights that I lift when I sit infront of the TV. I have more energy now and each day is better. I am getting a shot the next three weeks in both of my knees and then hopefully I will be more mobile. You have just got to make up your mind just the same as you did when you decide to get the surgery. Go back to what motivated you to do the surgery.....was it to live? be healthy? for your children? sick and tired of being sick and tired? and use these motivations to get you up and moving. Get into a local WLS support group. This will really help you when you see and hear other people going through the same thing. You can do this and we got your back!!!

I am SO.STINKING.HAPPY for you. Seriously.

It's acronym means Music TV.....

On August 1. 1981, the first music video played was Video Killed the Radio Star by the Buggles. The first one I remember seeing was Paula Abdul's Cold Hearted Snake.

MTV has music?

LMAO!

On August 1. 1981, the first music video played was Video Killed the Radio Star by the Buggles. The first one I remember seeing was Paula Abdul's Cold Hearted Snake.

I know. I happen to be old enough to remember when it HAD music...

Speaking as an old fart that was around back then, that's a bit of an oxymoron now a days.

If all you want

is to watch TV, then use the TV as your motivation !! For every 3 minutes of walking you do, "reward yourself " with 10 minutes of TV, etc . Work you way up to 4 mins , then 5 , etc. Start SLOW, start SMALL, but start SOMEWHERE !! You can do it !!!♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

I truly believe that you have motivation in you. Why you ask??? I noticed that you posted this at 6:49 a.m. You could have just as easily have rolled back over and went to sleep. Instead you acted on your emotions and asked for help from people that have been there. This is why I love this site. Even though 99% of us on this site have never met and probably never will, we all have walked in each other's shoes. We all have a weight loss journey to tell. We all have good days and bad days. We all have failure and success. There are days I feel so strong and healthy that I can pick others up and help them. Then I also have days when I need to reach out and ask for there strength. Riskygirl21 you ask were you can find motivation??? You answer is...... Right Here :) We friend each other and over time become family. We Celebrate with each success and motivate to become successful. If you need a friend to talk or text just message me and I can give you my contact info. BTW I am from Indiana too and we both have the same weight goal :)