Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to take and day of?

Hi all, booked in for surgery on 16th December. What do you recommend taking with me? Was thinking my laptop (as got to work still), books, toiletries and pj's but anything specific?

Also I'm concerned about not wearing knickers, they will give me something to wear won't they?? I hate not wearing any.

Also would do you think I could wear non wired crop top, also hate not wearing a bra!

I was able to wear a sports bra, no underwire and when I got back to my room I was able to put my undergarments back on, well actually when I woke up enough to mind. Slippers in case they do not give you some, I did get a pair at the hospital but many places do not give you slippers, you will be doing lots of walking so you need them. Think about chap stick, pictures of your kids or family not with you at the hospital, your own comfy pillow, gas x and any medication you are currently taking! Best with your surgery!

Keep it light; you probably won't use most things you bring with you. I was so out of it I couldn't focus on anything. I know everyone recommends gas-x strips, but you won't be able to take them when you are in the hospital.

All you really need to bring is:

warm socks

a lightweight robe to go over your hospital gown

change of underthings

phone and phone charger

personal identification (purse, wallet, etc)

a list of questions you might have for the doctors and nurses

Wear to the hospital whatever you want to walk out in; it saves on packing. I brought my laptop, but honestly had a hard time using it since I was so drugged up until about an hour before I left. Leave most of your electronics at home and REST.

I brought slippers, a robe, a book, my phone, and a few other miscellaneous things. I only used the robe. And I didn't wear a bra but to be honest at that point, I didn't care what I looked like.

I took my iPad pj's and slippers and ended using nothing but my phone charger and tooth brush. I didn't want to do anything but watch TV walk around and sleep. Rule of thumb don't over pack.

dont expect to be working or using laptop. you probably wont even read a book. between sleepies from pain meds and post anesthesia, not much will be happening in brain land. I was really glad I had loose pants with drawstring, warm crocheted vest, sleep mask, ear plugs, warm slipper socks. everything else was not really needed. oh, and some nice smelling lip balm, think it was coconut almond or something. I had a little fleece blanket that was bright colored that was homey to come back to after my walks, and helped me know I was going in to the right room. just think bedtime and hall walks. I had a roomie so it was nice to be able to tune out that side of the room. of and comfy old bra and tshirt with loose sleeves. you will have an iv so dont have anything with long tight sleeves. I had a little firm pillow that helped me move around, better than the bariatric Teddy Bear with advertising they gave me. oh, and I loved having my airline pillow since I have neck problems. love sara

I brought a bra that had convertible straps. So it was easy to get it on over all those tubes and wires and crap. And fresh underpants. I hate not having undies on. I was butt nekkid under my gown until I got the bra and undies on. Other than that, bring a book or a magazine (because unlike the previous poster I was wide awake and felt basically fine from the time I was wheeled into the room to the time I left). Your phone. Something easy to change into when they discharge you. Easy elastic waist, a sweatshirt.

Thanks for all the replies, I hope to be on my feet fairly quickly! Only way I could get time off is to agree to do light work and respond to emails. My manager is heading off on sabbatical while I am off work so it more about having a handover than working while on leave.

I plan on taking Gas-X strips as well. I've heard from others that they really help. Also, if you take your own pillow, make sure you don't have a white pillowcase; otherwise it will be much more likely to get left behind.

Like Forsythia, I felt awake and rested post-op and did work, read, and walked. Since I stayed in Mexico an extra day at the request of my concerned husband (pre-trip planning), I was glad I had a lot to do!

Be sure that if you are right handed, your IV should go in your left arm or hand. Opposite is true. If you are left handed, IV should go in the right. This one little detail makes it so much easier to do everything.