Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't think any of us got fat by eating well. :)

Head hunger and eating issues are not solved by the sleeve. There's still work to do! Many people try to push their boundaries after surgery...can I eat this?...can I eat that? We got fat due to an unhealthy relationship with food in one way or another.

Many people can eat everything they ate before surgery. THIS is why doctors state over and over and over...the sleeve is a tool. Many people can get a bag of Oreos down even post-surgery. May take them hours, but they can do it with an unhealthy relationship with food.< /p>

Eating pizza that soon is probably not great for your new tummy, but many people who've reached their goal weight enjoy a slice of pizza....not the whole pizza...and not a slice every day. Healthy relationship with food...that's still the work we have to do.

I just ate pizza, and I don't feel any guilt. I only ate half a slice, and I'm still at my calorie goal for the day. As long as it's an occasional indulgence, who cares? The sleeve is a tool...that is a tool to develop normal eating habits. Normal people eat pizza every once in a while. Normal people do not eat a WHOLE pizza, which I could before surgery. Stop worrying so much, you'll just switch out one eating disorder for another.

I just ate pizza, and I don't feel any guilt. I only ate half a slice, and I'm still at my calorie goal for the day. As long as it's an occasional indulgence, who cares? The sleeve is a tool...that is a tool to develop normal eating habits. Normal people eat pizza every once in a while. Normal people do not eat a WHOLE pizza, which I could before surgery. Stop worrying so much, you'll just switch out one eating disorder for another.

Agreed! I, too, had surgery so I could finally eat like a normal person. I did this so I WOULDNT have to diet ever again. In 11 months, I've not counted calories or weighed my food. My sleeve does it's part by limiting my portions and I do my part by making healthy choices....90% of the time. I stock my cupboards and refrigerator with healthy protein-heavy food options. I drink at least 64oz Water and eat 70-80g of Protein everyday. I snack on nuts, Jerky, fruits and veggies. But when I go out with friends I eat whatever looks good...just like everyone else. I had pizza last week (two pieces, not the whole thing). I Went to a fundraiser last Saturday and had 3 Crown and Water cocktails. Then the 5 other people I went with wanted to stop at McD's on the way home (drunk people do that ???? ). I split a quarter pounder with another gal (who, BTW, had bypass 8 years ago). No fries. No soda. BIG change from preop.

I did, however, follow my doctor's plan 100% to a T before and after surgery. I was too afraid of complications not to. And I didn't start eating like a "normal" person until I reached goal about 7 months out. (And I've maintained for 4 months at this point). At your stage, you have to make smart choices and change your relationship with food (I'm now friends with food....no longer codependent with it). While you are still healing and so fresh out of surgery, you need to follow the rules, establish new habits to deal with stress, and learn how to deal with head hunger. You have the rest of your life to be "normal"...after you've done what you need to do to reach goal.

Edited by Kindle

@@Kindle your response has made me feel so much better thank you :) I was someone who could eat a whole pizza and the 20 mins later hungry again .. I used food I enjoyed food and after all this I do want to go and be able to eat a slice or two of pizza :)

I do not have an eating disorder and i do the same. Please! Not everything you do with food is an eating disorder after you've had a major surgery.

I'm only 4 days post op and i ate 1/4 cracker yesterday. I sure did...And i swallowed it. Went down without a glitch and made my entire day better.

Edited by mrsbailey921

OMG!!! I a so happy I read this post! I did the same thing!! Lol! It was just the sensation of eating something and all the yumminess! It is not a habitual behavior and it was just something in a moment of weakness! Thank you for your post!!

It is ODD... I've never been able to NOT swallow something. But as far as it pointing to a psychological syndrome... I think folks become a bit too dramatic. You miss the sensation of chewing food. That's it.

WHen you are further out your realize that all those pre-surgery judgements and ideals you once had kind of fly out the window. At almost 2 yrs out I shake my head at myself and the things I had to say about people who did the stuff that I do now.......because I am at the point where I can handle that.

I would caution you... do what you need to do but this is your foundation. Try to stay on plan.

I'm only 4 days post op and i ate 1/4 cracker yesterday. I sure did...And i swallowed it. Went down without a glitch and made my entire day better.

I ate crackers from day one with surgeon's okay. I held them in my mouth for awhile and then let it slide down. It helped.

I know some people who went home on purees. Low fat, low sugar foods blended up are just fine from day 1. I have a stomach made of steel and that hasn't changed. I also can comfortably get down about 3 ounces of liquid easily every half hour. I'm not complaining...very happy with my dr., a slow weight loss and my sleeve!

I can understand the urge since I am at day 10 but don’t do it to yourself. It does seem like the start of something even worse. Having a mate who is eating everything I wish I could (pizza included) I have urges or either a- slapping it out his mouth or b- biting it mid stream. What stops me? Everything I went through to get here. Almost my entire life battling obesity. The fear of damaging my new stomach and lastly ruining this new life style which is what we are doing. Fight it and if that isn’t enough, speak to your nutritionist on what you can do about it. Do not revert to what got you here. You are worth much much more than that slice ;)

Edited by living55

I ate crackers from day one with surgeon's okay. I held them in my mouth for awhile and then let it slide down. It helped.

Wow do you know that I have been craving A cracker since my surgery!!! lol I guess its not just me. I just wouldn’t do it. Cool your MD said its ok. I have a few more days on my liquid bari diet (stage I) I know Puree is going to be heavenly (stage II) LOL

Why do the surgery if you dont want to abide by the rules.

And what exactly are "the rules"?? Every one here had a different Dr, different experience. I know i am going to love my sleeve and eat NORMALLY for the rest of my life and yes that includes pizza and crackers. My cousin has NO limits to what she eats-- if she likes it she eats it and has lost 130 lbs so far. Her Dr. Is not concerned and she looks great. But you know what? When we go out for Chinese, she eats Chinese. When we have rice and Beans she has that too. Her rules are hers and she follows them. So whose rules should she be following? What i would not do post surgery is panic about food and calorie count and nit pick, and i wouldn't judge other people from my EX FATTY pedestal. If i have to do that THEN i would wonder why i did this. I did this to have a normal reaction to food, not be unable to deal with social situations because i am forbidden from eating something i want. If my sleeve gives me permission to eat, then that is what i am going to do and i will still lose weight.

Edited by mrsbailey921

Now if your ideal meal is a snicker bar and skittles for lunch 4 days out of 7, and oreos for the other 3, you may need help. But if you're NORMAL like most of us, wanting pizza doesn't make you in need of mental help...it makes you normal.