Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothes after surgery

After losing 25 lbs, my clothes are loose. I know I dropped down to the next size but I'm not ready to spend money on a new wardrobe especially knowing I'm still planning on loosing a considerable amount of weight. Any advice on how to adjust my current wardrobe or obtain a new wardrobe without spending a lot of money? Or any clothing I can purchase that I could use for a longer period of time during the weight lose process, but not sweats since I work in an office environment.

I'm a member of a group on Facebook where you can sell your *gently* used clothing. Items normally range from 10 to 20 dollars plus shipping. It's exclusively for plus-sized ladies. I've been selling my largest stuff and using the money to purchase the next size down. Then, when I hit that size, list those and buy the next one. There's even a group where you can specifically request things in a certain size. I can link you if you'd like :-)

Other options: belt worked for a bit, goodwill, ebay (search for "clothing lot YOUR SIZE"), if you're good with a needle you can seam some pants/skirts, and some bariatic support groups offer clothing exchanges.

Anyway, CONGRATS :-) and welcome to the losers bench.

Go for skirts with elastic waist, wrap shirts and dresses. Shirts that can be belted. Buy only 1 or 2 pairs of pants at a time in neutral colors.

I think my closet spans like 4 -5 different sizes so I'm hoping I will make it to the Spring at least. I have a few expensive suits I'll probably take to the tailor. Some items I may end up selling.

@@lastingdreams - what's the name of the FB group?

@@lastingdreams - what's the name of the FB group?

The main group is FatToo. They have a bunch of different subgroups but it's all there on the main page. (for instance, FatToo ISO, FatToo Grand (for 28+), etc)

Don't forget about shopping in thrift stores. Especially stores in affluent communities.

The main group is FatToo. They have a bunch of different subgroups but it's all there on the main page. (for instance, FatToo ISO, FatToo Grand (for 28+), etc)

Just checked it out and I see 2 of my favorite plus size bloggers are members. YAY!

Garage sales are great for finding nice, inexpensive clothing. Although garage sale season is almost over. There are still some that rent buildings and have them inside. Consignment shops are great as well. Some will let you trade gently used clothes. There is usually a dressing room at consignment shops, which is a plus.

I have purchased some smaller sized stuff for cheap. Found $15 capri jeans at Walmart that were $5 on clearance, found some tops and jeans for $4 to $6 at various other stores like DD's Discounts.

Goodwill

On top of places like Goodwill, Salvation Army, and other similar thrift stores, also be sure to check out local churches. While they help out with food items for the needy, some churches (like the one here in my hometown), has a clothes locker for people needing clothing. The Bariatric Center I went thru in Lenexa, KS also has a donated clothing area from people who have lost weight. Garage sales are a good place too.

My advice is to get clothes that are sort of tight so you can work towards making those loose! Keep you eyes on the prize!

I just bought the next size down from old navy. They have some sales going on all the time, got a few pairs of sweat pants that should last through another 30 lbs or so, then I will eBay these and buy the next size or two down.

I was wearing a 4X or size 30 or so to begin and now those had to go. I'm wearing a 2x in the sweatpants.

Ross, Burlington Coat Factory, TJ Maxx, Marshalls. And the clearance rack at Macy's. I got a pair of $94 Jones New York trousers for $16 on the Macy's clearance rack. Don't forget to clip their coupons or get them texted to your phone to bundle the savings.

Get a dress clip (or in a pinch a mitten clip will work) they were big in the 80's and I got mine off Amazon. You can cinch in the back of a dress or blouse or even a t shirt and it looks flattering and you can wear it for a couple more sizes down!

And Goodwill!!! I was reluctant to try it and now it's my new addiction! Top brands for $3-7! Some still with tags.

Edited by jess9395