Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

I have the same feelings about shopping in the regular size areas. It's like being in a foreign country. I'm sure everyone is wondering "What is SHE dong here?" I wonder it too!

Janet, I'm a huge "What Not to Wear" fan. That is one show that has actually HELPED me in real life.

Kari, Thanks for being so honest about how you're feeling. I just got through a couple of weeks like that too. I am really happy for people who feel victorious over the demons. I have never conqured them, except for a time when I was clinically depressed or very sick--neither of which I would want to experience again. As for BF: The thing that has kept me married for longer than you've been alive is embracing the notion that while we are walking through life together, we are still two seperate people. I can not allow his attitudes or choices to determine my happiness, success, or failures. Sometimes he does things that are helpful; many times he does not. I neither expect nor depend on him. That way, when he is helpful, I am delighted and appreciative, but more often when his behavior is not encouraging to me, I still survive. It took me a long time and a some heavy duty counseling to get to this point, but I'm glad I stuck it out.

Oh yes, the other big news in my life is that I got a new incentive this week. She said "yes!" DS is officially engaged! There will be a wedding in August!!!

I have the same feelings about shopping in the regular size areas. It's like being in a foreign country. I'm sure everyone is wondering "What is SHE dong here?" I wonder it too!

Janet, I'm a huge "What Not to Wear" fan. That is one show that has actually HELPED me in real life.

Kari, Thanks for being so honest about how you're feeling. I just got through a couple of weeks like that too. I am really happy for people who feel victorious over the demons. I have never conqured them, except for a time when I was clinically depressed or very sick--neither of which I would want to experience again. As for BF: The thing that has kept me married for longer than you've been alive is embracing the notion that while we are walking through life together, we are still two seperate people. I can not allow his attitudes or choices to determine my happiness, success, or failures. Sometimes he does things that are helpful; many times he does not. I neither expect nor depend on him. That way, when he is helpful, I am delighted and appreciative, but more often when his behavior is not encouraging to me, I still survive. It took me a long time and a some heavy duty counseling to get to this point, but I'm glad I stuck it out.

Oh yes, the other big news in my life is that I got a new incentive this week. She said "yes!" DS is officially engaged! There will be a wedding in August!!!

Linda - I have a gf who could really use WNTW help - shes 51 and tries to dress like a 20 yr old - 1st shes too old and 2nd she isn't a size 6.

It her that I look at every day and say omg doesnt' she look in the mirror - Rolls showing thru her clothes - etc - I am the Style cop at work to - if your new outfit / hair cut passes Janet's opnion then it's officially cute :eek:

She is getting better with dressing her age.. She always gets tons of complements when she wears something that I bought her for her bday or xmas... And when she shops she thinks - will this past the Janet test :rolleyes

Linda - congrats on getting a DIL - August your goal for your Mother of the Groom outfit :(

Oh Ruby, I read your posts and I am so sorry you've had to endure this much struggle with your P/S. I can't imagine what it would have been like to have breasts different sizes, even if it was only for a short time. BUT your surgeon sounds awesome, aren't you lucky there will be no charge for the fix. I am sending you a big (((hug)))

Janet; You are always so strong for all of us. Its your turn to receive some tender words of encouragement from the rest of this gang. You are right when you say that "no one understands a fat person like another fat person." !!! Until you've walked a mile in our shoes with our sore knees you just don't get it!!

That being said, Do you suppose you are worrying about getting to goal because without the band(prior diets I mean) we never could get to goal? I know I have a fear of being thin. I know that sounds completely retarded and stupid... but I think for me that this is true.

Although I want to be slim and fit and healthy and for ALL the right reasons... I have always (in the past) found some way of sabotaging myself. I diet for 2 wks, 2 months and one time even for over a year... and then what? Was I uncomfortable with all the possitive attention that I got when I was thin? Did I not know how to 'deal' with the opposite sex? I know I still have a lot a sh ! t to mentally deal with and its going to take me a while for my head to catch up to my body.

I quess what I am saying Janet is its o.k. to freak out every once in a while.. we all have some pretty irrational fears but together on this board we can disclose them and over come. I just know it!!!

(((hugs)))) Peaches

Thanks, I needed a little support. Yesterday i just felt ugh, for lack of a better word. I really do think that most of it has to do with the fact that I have to go back to work tomorrow.

As for eating out, we go out a lot. My BF and I just share a meal and I never eat very much because I can't account for all of the calories. He does most of the cooking and most of the time he will fix things that work for me. It is just the last couple of days that he has done nothing but gorge himself and it is probably due to the fact that he is very very sick. He seems to be back to normal this morning. But Janet you are right, I know the struggles that I am going through because of my unhealthy eating habits and it frustrates me when other people just sit there and stuff an entire medium pizza down their throat. It will be better after I get through the first day back to school. Also, I am not craving anything specific, especially ice cream. I love ice cream but ever since surgery I can't eat it. If I do I have a lactose intolerant reaction to it. I can't drink milk either. cheese, cottage cheese, and yogurt are alright, but milk and ice cream are a NO NO for me. It is more that I just want to get to a point that I dont have to over analyze every single thing that goes in my mouth. And actually it does get easier. I was on Atkins for 2 years and I guess it did start getting easier for me. I am sure this will too.

As for my body type I have 2 VERY distinct rolls with my belly button tucked neatly between them. I would really like to lose that damn top roll. All of the shirts just seem to cling to that one roll. So I can't wear my pants at my waist because otherwise my top roll sticks out like a sore thumb. So I have to find high waisted pants that will help mold the two rolls into one! Camp shirts are my favorite too, but again mine are all too big. I really don't have many clothes left that I can wear and I can't really afford to go buy new clothes right now. I need to go get a presser foot for my sewing machine and see if I can attempt to tailor my old clothes. I usually go through my clothes on Sunday's because I try to lay out my clothes for the week. I am too tired to make decisions at 4:45 am. And you are right about the thin material that just shows off everything. I really need clothes with structure. My back fat has almost gone away I have a few little bumps around my bra line, but most of my weight is front and center. My skin is starting to take a hit too. Yikes! My belly looks like my grandma's belly did when she was 95! I have read and heard that it can take up to a year for the skin to catch up, so there is hope. There is no way that I can afford to have plastic surgery nor do I really want it. As long as I can find clothes that make me look alright I will be fine.

Here is a funny NSV. I told my BF to sit on my computer chair last night because I thought there was something wrong. I thought there was a lump because my butt hurt when I sat on it. He said, no there is nothing wrong with the chair, and I realized that it was that I had lost so much fat off my butt that I was sitting on my tailbone. I didn't even think I had that much fat on my butt, but I had to fold up a blanket on my chair because it was painful!

Well I have to finish getting lessons ready for tomorrow so I will talk to you all later.

Janet; You are always so strong for all of us. Its your turn to receive some tender words of encouragement from the rest of this gang. You are right when you say that "no one understands a fat person like another fat person." !!! Until you've walked a mile in our shoes with our sore knees you just don't get it!!

That being said, Do you suppose you are worrying about getting to goal because without the band(prior diets I mean) we never could get to goal? I know I have a fear of being thin. I know that sounds completely retarded and stupid... but I think for me that this is true.

Although I want to be slim and fit and healthy and for ALL the right reasons... I have always (in the past) found some way of sabotaging myself. I diet for 2 wks, 2 months and one time even for over a year... and then what? Was I uncomfortable with all the possitive attention that I got when I was thin? Did I not know how to 'deal' with the opposite sex? I know I still have a lot a sh ! t to mentally deal with and its going to take me a while for my head to catch up to my body.

I quess what I am saying Janet is its o.k. to freak out every once in a while.. we all have some pretty irrational fears but together on this board we can disclose them and over come. I just know it!!!

(((hugs)))) Peaches

Thanks Peaches !!!!

I think that sometimes I just over think/do things - just like exercise a while back I was really pushing to do a 15 min mile - but it was kicking my butt.. I was talking to my Uncle about it and he said relax - don't make this so hard that you are going to quit - a 17 min mile is a good pace - concentrate on your form - listen to your music - don't make it such a chore or you are going to quit - so that's what I did - I quit trying so hard - if a good song comes on my iPod - I will do 4.0 for that song but then put it back down to 3.7 or even 3.5. So this is what we need to do - take Phyl's advice - chill - quit working this so hard - we need to make this journey enjoyable - and not so hard that we get tired of the enormous challenge that we put in front of us that we are going to quit and give up.

<p>Karri

As stated in the post I just did to Peaches what we need to do - take Phyl's advice - chill - quit working this so hard - we need to make this journey enjoyable - and not so hard that we get tired of the enormous challenge that we put in front of us that we are going to quit and give up. You really don't have to count calories down to the penny - I don't count my calories to the penny - I do google them some time - but since I have dieted so much I know how much things are - I don't count every pat of butter - If you looked at my food diary - it will show 900 calories for the day - but in all reality it's about 1200.

I wonder why surgery made you not able to drink milk - that's weird - I am not a big milk drinker so I haven't really tried -but have added skim or 2% to my shakes and didn't have a prob.

But if ice cream was a problem in the past for you - I guess that's a good thing <

I carry my weight all over - it's pretty evenly distributed. But those excess pounds that I had added in the last year where really showing up thru the middle.

I know that you dislike the teaching - I am so tired of my job too and will find myself saying I hate my job - but all that does is reinforce your apathy for it - so like the saying goes - if you are in a bad mood - smile and if you keep smiling your mood will become a smile... I try positive affirmations alot... I try not to use the word hate (operative word try!) cuz if you are negative about something it will just snowball - I try not to dwell on things - I am a great Scarlett - I will worry about that tomorrow...

I just read an article in my Self magazine about happiness. It said when you go to bed at night - think of 3 things that were good that day. Some days you may have to really reach to find those good things but they are there it's and it a good way to fall asleep - I do try and thank God every night for my day - truly our lives are so much better than others - we are blessed we have jobs - a roof over our heads - food in our tummies (sometimes too much) - look we all have computer - there are other who aren't as fortunate as us.. We have to look at the positives and less on the negative.

Well, today is grocery shopping day - and I do need to clean a bit - so will ck back later

<p>I know that you dislike the teaching - I am so tired of my job too and will find myself saying I hate my job - but all that does is reinforce your apathy for it - so like the saying goes - if you are in a bad mood - smile and if you keep smiling your mood will become a smile... I try positive affirmations alot... I try not to use the word hate (operative word try!) cuz if you are negative about something it will just snowball - I try not to dwell on things - I am a great Scarlett - I will worry about that tomorrow...

I just read an article in my Self magazine about happiness. It said when you go to bed at night - think of 3 things that were good that day. Some days you may have to really reach to find those good things but they are there it's and it a good way to fall asleep - I do try and thank God every night for my day - truly our lives are so much better than others - we are blessed we have jobs - a roof over our heads - food in our tummies (sometimes too much) - look we all have computer - there are other who aren't as fortunate as us.. We have to look at the positives and less on the negative.

Excellent post!! Sometimes we have to "Fake it 'til we Make it!"

Oh Ruby, I read your posts and I am so sorry you've had to endure this much struggle with your P/S. I can't imagine what it would have been like to have breasts different sizes, even if it was only for a short time. BUT your surgeon sounds awesome, aren't you lucky there will be no charge for the fix. I am sending you a big (((hug)))

Thank you peaches, and everyone else for your kind words. I appreciate my surgeon for going the extra mile for me. I would have been beside myself. I just feel like I've been in healing mode since July when I had my lap band. I had to take time to recover from that, then get used to it and have to reprogram my brain. Then I thought the breast surgery would help boost my confidence. It did, but this hic cup has made me feel I've been in limbo for half a year and will still be there for the first part of this year. Patience is a virtue I seldom posses. I'll have to continue working on that. lol

Today is a bit of a struggle for me. I'm having one of my old need-to-eat-everything-in-sight days. :) I haven't had one of these in a long time. If I don't sort myself out I'm going to gain back 4lbs in one day. It's driving me crazy. I had a Protein shake for Breakfast and some turkey and salad greens for lunch. But neither meal has satisfied me. I had a 100 calorie snack between and have been drinking my Water and chewing gum like a crazy person, but I'm HUNGRY!!!!!!

I hate days like this. I can undo all the good work I've achieved in a month in one single day! I have will power up the wazoo because I'm a very stubborn and pig-headed woman, but this is driving me insane. The weather sucks today. Money is tight due to extra Holiday expenses and I'm bored. I think the boredom is the hardest to deal with. That's when I'm more likely to graze like a cow.

My son got a WII for Christmas. Maybe I should go and play on that for a couple of hours to take my mind off things. And get a workout playing tennis, golf and bowling. lol

Well, it's better than sitting here feeling sorry for myself, lol. Catch up with you later ladies. :wave:

Busy day here. If I am reading, I;m not eating so it is a good thing everyone is chatty today. Okay, let me start with the fact that I have lousy short term memory. (I do get brain farts once in a while) so when I go to post here, I can't remember who to post to...........DUH

Okay, the lost posts. I am so famous for those. I just discovered a little arrow after the word go in my address part here. If you press the arrow, it will show where you've been and you can go back to that post. Most the time anyway.

Size 12 pants. What are those. I am still in my size 20 bendover elastic waist pants. And they still fit, except for the ones where the elastic has died. Take a deep breath and they fall down. They used to stay up good, even with the elastic. I'm still trying to find where those 56 pounds have gone. I still see them on me. I guess you can say my goal is to get rid of those elastic waistbands. I hate having no waist, no hips and no butt....and lots of belly fat. Pants with waistbands just don't fit right.

On getting de-railed. My dh keeps buying Cookies and chips. Oh yeah, even though I tell him not to......he still buys the jewish rye bread. i am working so hard to ignore those things. Man, do they scream loud. Dh drives a semi making local deliveries so he gets lots of exersize. He is retiring the end of the month and I keep telling him he better watch out with all his junk food. He is going to find what I lose. LOL

Okay, it is a boring Sunday here. Not much to do but sit and watch the snow melt. Real exciting. So, ENJOY YOUR DAY AND DON'T OVEREAT LADIES. TTYL.

Kari

banded 7-16-07

lost 56, lots to go to goal

pedaled 730 miles since 12-4

My son got a WII for Christmas. Maybe I should go and play on that for a couple of hours to take my mind off things. And get a workout playing tennis, golf and bowling. lol

Well, it's better than sitting here feeling sorry for myself, lol. Catch up with you later ladies. :wave:

I "worked out" with our Wii the other day...I exaggerate the moves and totally worked up a sweat with the boxing trainer...you just hit the bag over and over...not a lot of thinking, just punching! It was fun and the boys thought I was hillarious! I totally recommend the Wii for a little workout...better than nothing! Funny with the Wii though...I get sick watching other video games, but not with this one! Cool!

OK, so I've got a friend that I tried getting to go get the band with me last summer, but now she's decided she wants the gastric sleeve. Has anyone heard of this...she says that the "reports look promising"...I thought this was pretty new and experimental. I have since learned that her idea of research is a lot less than my idea. We talked a bit about it last night. She is definitely and "excuse person" with all the excuses she makes about how she is just "hungry all th time" and it has nothing to do with WHAT she eats or HOW MUCH she eats. I watched her eat at a New Year's Eve party and the size of bites she could get in her mouth were ginormous! I very gently (although this is not my nature) explained about "head hunger" etc. after the surgery and that there are ways to get around all the surgeries. Incidentally, her mom had a RNY bypass several years ago, lost a bunch of weight - looked like she had cancer, then gained back almost 50lbs. I think my dear friend is looking for a quick fix and I don't think she's going to find it under a knife!

Anyhoo...I've been the same weight since I got back from the cruise in November....It's suckin' and I'm ready to go get a fill. I won't be able to get to Anchorage until Feb. so it'll be a while. I've done really good excersizing though and have stretched out enough to lower myself to the toilet without too much comedy! :-)

Busy day here. If I am reading, I;m not eating so it is a good thing everyone is chatty today.

Kari - Yep, I agree....reading and typing keeps my hands busy and I'm not eating! Haha! Also, good job on the biking...why don't you bike yourself up here? There's no road here, but you can bike to Fairbanks and then just add about 400 miles! You could say your headed to the Idtarod! (Which is just over 1000 miles so you could actually bike the Iditarod!)

There's an Idita-swim challenge here...swim a minute for every mile (it's like 1049 miles or something). I go at least twice a week with the family, but only for about an hour...I don't think I could make it, but then, maybe I could start getting up early and doing laps? Nah....what am I? Insane? No way! I'll leave all that to Phyll! :)

I missed a couple months of reading so I was really lost on what the numbers meant. Now I understand and, yes, I will try this myself.

Now, was the weigh-in any way related to this?

Jeanie - 1st thing you need to do - is take the word diet it out of your vocabulary... Diets are only for a short time and what happens when you quit your diet - you go right back to your old eating habits which made you fat in the 1st place so diets don't work - We are not dieting we are eating healthy and exercising.. this is a lifetime lifestyle change in our eating habits not a diet... This is why I love WW - it is a well rounded balanced eating plan - and that's what i follow - I have meat, starch, veggies and mostly sf sweets - at the new little market around the corner they sell these little mini loafs of french bread - about 6 inchs - I buy these and slice a little slice add a little butter and am happy - I will not be deprived - I end up throwing half away - cuz it get stale - I don't have the urge to eat the whole thing like I did in the past

when I want choc i have 1 or 2 sf double choc pudding or a fudgecicle.

If i am extra hungry at dinner or lunch - i eat extra veggies - for lunch yesterday 3 oz salmon and 1 3/4 c squash...

Throw the junk out - no more - I refuse to even have one piece of candy - I don't need it and the calories are just too much for such little amount of food - i didn't eat one candy bar in the past I would buy the giant ones (hersey w/nut) or bags and eat them til they were gone (1 day) ... I really do just stay away from sweets - and high fat foods.

You are quite an inspiration to all of us! Almost like the cheerleader of the group! Soooo nice to have someone in that capacity! I for one, really need that right now! I know you are sooo right and up until the Holidays I was following your advice pretty well, but right now, I have to get myself motivated again! Not eating much at all, in fact a fraction of what I would have ate in the past, but still not what I need to be doing! I know what needs to be, but man, once I get sidetracked it takes everything in me to get back on the wagon!!!!! Gotta do it though and know that I will, but need that extra push!!!! Thanks for the advice and the concern!!! I am not familiar with the Weight Watcher's Program, perhaps you could fill me in a little on the protocol for that.

OMYGISH!!!!!!!!!!! I have not ventured from the lucky # 7's thread for MANY MANY MANY months. I think the last time was 5 months ago. Anyway, I was just looking around on here, bored, and not a whole lot of posting on our thread this morning and I was looking at the thread about complications and the band removal. IT FREAKED ME OUT!!! So many of them are 'so happy to have it out' 'had complications after 6months' and etc. I KNOW those things happen but I am a worry wart so I just don't go reading about them. I love my band but I do have to say I am scared. That is why I quit reading the other posts before. They FREAK me out!!!

I guess what I am saying is I need someone to tell me it is all going to be ok. LOL I researched and researched before having the band and I am CONFIDENT in what I have done. I just have that little guy setting on my shoulder right now with the shadow of doubt. I am going to go fold laundry now and try to 'flick' him off. LOL