Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2009 I had my lap-band surgery done in Brooklyn, NY. I followed the rules before and after the surgery and lost about 30 lbs. total counting the two week pre-op liquid diet. I went for fills regularly for a while but did not see much in the way of weight loss results. I would be asked if I feel any restriction, and I always did - especially the first day or two after getting a fill. I was always surprised by how much I was able to eat and what foods I could eat. It got to a point I felt like the band is just not working for me and I sort of gave up. Life got in the way and I stopped going back to my doctor.

About three and a half years later I decided to go back to the same doctor after seeing another family member do really well with the band after years of having had no results either. At first we started with some fills and then she wouldn't give me another fill because she felt I was going to be too full. I went in with the attitude that there must be something wrong with my band such as a leak. The PA that I saw was ready to send me for routine testing and flippantly told me that in the worst case I can always have the sleeve done. I did not like her attitude at all! I also did not go for testing because should they find a problem I would need another surgery to correct it and mentally I wasn't prepared for that. Last winter I went on an OA type diet for about four months. I fell off the wagon and had a very difficult time going back on. Over the summer I ate whatever was served and/or was around depending on where I was etc. In May I had blood work done and my A1C was going from pre-diabetic into diabetic. I was still calling in pre-diabetic because I couldn't deal with it but in the back of my mind I knew I needed to deal with my reality. My father had passed away 5 1/2 years ago from diabetes at the age of 62. It was what pushed me to go for the surgery in the first place.

This September I decided to look into having the sleeve done since a number of people I know were quite successful with it,I still believed there was something wrong with my band. I switched doctors and it was the best move I made! For one he explained things to me so much more clearly. Another thing he did for me was removed all the saline in my band and measured it. My band was not as full as the first doctor assumed. He right away gave me one cc. When I tried to eat after that fill it was like a light bulb went off - I remember hearing that optimally one should be able to eat about 1/4 cup of food in one sitting. This was the first time I could even imagine what they were talking about. In the first three weeks I lost 6 lbs, most of that in the first week. Last week I was back and the doctor told me that was very normal and being that I was able to eat a bit more he would give me a slight fill. I am so excited to see results!!

I am still trying to figure out what an appropriate fill would mean for me. At the same time I began seeing my new doctor I also began exercising at the gym. The second fill coincided with a Pilates class that was way too difficult for me. I have been quite uncomfortable and I'm trying to figure out how much is from the band and how much is from exercising my very out of shape body. So I guess I'm still very much a work in progress. I want to see this weight come off and my A1C numbers dropping therefore I'm hesitant to do anything about the pain. I'm taking a watch and wait approach, if I don't see any improvement or cannot pinpoint what is causing my pain I will call the doctor by the end of the week.

bodyweight.png?ts=1416186262

Edited by chayamom

Congrats on your results!

So many times, changing a doc or getting a 2nd opinion is the way to go. It's pro-active. Too many times I see people thinking docs a demo-gods and infallible..

Lets face it. Not all docs/surgeons were A Students and some are way better than others!

Great choice! I'm glad you found a doc who you feel comfy with.

I wish you ALL the best in your new (old) WLS journey.

I was banded in '09 too. I've had good results but it took a loooong time to come off- for various reasons. Still, before I knew it, bam! I was down about 100# all of a sudden.

I think it happens like that with the band. For some, big weight drops in the beginning, for me & others, slow & gradual.

I am back to basics of what to eat, how much, how much supplementation, inflammation control, etc too.

We are band-sistahs - '09-time. :)

Good luck to you! I hope you get the results you wanted now.

What kind of pain are you having? Shoulder pain which would be your full signal or pain when you eat which would mean you are eating too fast and not chewing well if it hurts to go down.

Had another visit to my doctor yesterday. I am down 8 lbs. this month. Hurray!!! My band is finally doing what it is supposed to. I can't believe that it took close to 6 years in to figure out how to get it to work. I so gave up on it a while back. I feel like snoopy doing the happy dance!

bodyweight.png?ts=1418572103

Edited by chayamom