Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stinging Pain in Bending

I have a question about post-operative activity. Even though it is not near any of the small incisions (which are well healed on the outside), I get this stinging pain in my extreme lower left side of my belly (about 3 inches left and slightly down from my navel). The only thing close to that is where I had the 1/2 of the lovenox injections post-op, and those were subcutaneous injections. I'm not having any fever, nausea, and when I press on the area there is no pain and no swelling----it's just when I move a certain way or bend over to pick something up (like a tissue I dropped). It feels like a big bug just bit me when the pain comes on and it never happens during or immediately after a meal or drink. It just randomly hits.

Is this normal, or is it because my body is still healing in the inside from the surgery? I know they had a drain to drain off the excess Fluid (from the blood and rinsing/lavaging out the area after surgery). I'm wondering if I stretched something too soon. I had sleeve surgery on 11/4.

Thanks.

I had the same exact pain in the same exact spots. I am almost at 1 month and it still comes and goes if I bend or turn wrong. For awhile it was constant. Now it's just sporadic.

Thank you for responding. It's a weird feeling (and painful sting), but it didn't start until after my first post-op doctor exam and didn't know if I should address it, since I have no other symptoms with it. It's just in a strange spot. I'm almost wondering if it has something to do with loose bowels and maybe some irritation in the bowels that is doing it too. I don't have a lot of bowel movements--but I do get moved to the bathroom about once a day. It really doesn't seem to affect that area where the stinging is coming from. Odd pain.

Other than this and having struggles with Vitamins (getting them down, but they are SO nasty), I'm down 32 lbs since I started my pre-op diet, and now into the 11th day post-op.

Good job!

I think it actually a referred pain from where they part the muscles. It is very painful. Can't wait for the healing to finish!

I have this pain too but it's severe! Like stop in your tracks and yelp severe! I was going to call my doctor tomorrow to see if I should be checked out! I was also in a car accident last saturday (just a fender bender) and i thought maybe it was from the seat belt. My pain is exactly how you described it though! It keeps me awake at night too! Help!

I think "sassy little redhead" hit it dead on. I think it is the muscular area the surgeon had to go through, and it just has to heal on the inside. It's only a sporadic pain/burning/stinging and yes, even an occasional YELP! But I think this too shall pass soon enough.

I slid into a swimming pool at the gym/health club this afternoon. The Water was not too cold or too warm. I had had my fears about the Water being too cold given outside it was only 16 degrees. I stayed away from the hot tub, but was able to swim several laps without any pain or discomfort. I figured if I gently exercise maybe it'll encourage those muscles to go back to where they're supposed to be. Hope so anyway.

I've been continuing to monitor my blood pressure, heart rate, and body temperature to watch for any signs of something more serious but everything has checked out better and better each day, as the weight continues (although slower right now) to come off.

Good luck,

Terry

I have the pain on my right side!!! I would hope after a month it goes away. The doctor said I'm fine but I'm still tender everywhere else too. I guess it will go away as everything heals. I'm two weeks post op.

Im almost a month post op and the pain is worse now then it was a week post op.

I have had multiple sneeze attacks today--just hay fever and not the flu, but it has been excruciatingly painful in my lower belly. The stinging sensation SENSATIONALIZED itself in full blown agony during my sneeze attacks. Even holding my belly and holding a pillow to it didn't help. Everything returned to normal about 30 seconds after the last sneeze, but I was hurting so bad I had tears in my eyes. Felt like someone was stabbing me with a red hot knife for those agonizing seconds of sneezing. OMG I hope that tissue heals fast. Unfortunately, I am prone to sneeze attacks with the slightest bit of dust flying in the air. Horrible!! I summed this pain up as muscular pain or tissue mending pain near enough to the laparascopic site near my belly button. The pain doesn't come from where my stomach/sleeve is, and the pain doesn't express itself any other way (swelling, fever, discoloration of the area, nausea, or temperature), so I'm more inclined to believe it's just tissue and muscles healing after surgery. Two weeks post-op now. I don't have any regrets on having the gastric sleeve though. Losing weight and getting healthier. ;)