Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any February Sleevers

I had my surgery on Thursday and I was prepared for the worse (just in case). So far it has been best. They had me

walking in the recovery room, not much but back and forth a couple times. When I got to my room, I walked whenever

I could. What a difference, got rid of a lot of gas that way (both ends). I gained 4 pounds from the IVs they had me

hooked up to but that is just Water weight. After all the fear of the unknown, I am thrilled so far. I am not saying I don’t

have pain but it isn’t as bad as I had thought, what I have I can live with. It should be getting better every day.

Good luck to all the February Sleevers. :rolleyes:

Hi February sleevers

I had my surgery on Monday morning. Waking up from surgery was difficult, quite a bit of pain and nausea. Thankfully, things are much better now. I was wondering how much liquids are you being able to get every day? Yesterday (4 days post op) I did 45 liquids and 60 grms. protien. I am really trying to get to 60 today. I have my follow up appointment Tuesday and the Dr. will not move me to pureed foods until I get 60ml of liquid a day. Just the thought of being in Clear Liquids for a another week makes me sick. Honestly, the clear liquids parts has truly been the hardest part of all the process so far. Thank you for all your responses and best of luck!

Patricia

Patricia, my nutritionist outlined a meal plan for the first five weeks post op, including suggestions on what to eat and at what times. It has helped a lot. The clear liquids was very rough for me to get enough fluids. Aside from the nausea, I was dealing with taste bud issues. Everything savory lingered on my tongue no matter how many times I brushed my teeth. Everything unsavory was far too sweet. The constant sipping on ice Water got me through it. As well as sugar free Popsicles and the broth from Lipton noodle Soup. Taking a sip every 5-10 minutes would often result in me getting in 20oz within a two hour period.

I started full fluids today and it's such a relief. Every two hours I have a 4oz fruit and yogurt smoothie mixed with unflavored whey Protein isolate. At the end of the evening I can have a liquid Soup. I bought the dole garden Soups (tomato garden basil and carrot ginger) and the progresso artisan soup (curried butternut squash) and I'm just looking forward to having something different. Chin up, it gets better!

I totally understand what you say about the taste buds, they are killing me. I cannot wait to go into the full liquids diet, just for the more options when it comes to taste and texture. But I am hanging in there, today I already had the 60 grms. of Protein in and just 7oz of liquid away from the required 60!!!! Thank you for the support and that is all I think about, it will only get better :)

Patricia, my nutritionist outlined a meal plan for the first five weeks post op, including suggestions on what to eat and at what times. It has helped a lot. The clear liquids was very rough for me to get enough fluids. Aside from the nausea, I was dealing with taste bud issues. Everything savory lingered on my tongue no matter how many times I brushed my teeth. Everything unsavory was far too sweet. The constant sipping on ice Water got me through it. As well as sugar free Popsicles and the broth from Lipton noodle Soup. Taking a sip every 5-10 minutes would often result in me getting in 20oz within a two hour period.

I started full fluids today and it's such a relief. Every two hours I have a 4oz fruit and yogurt smoothie mixed with unflavored whey Protein isolate. At the end of the evening I can have a liquid soup. I bought the dole garden Soups (tomato garden basil and carrot ginger) and the progresso artisan soup (curried butternut squash) and I'm just looking forward to having something different. Chin up, it gets better!

I'm glad you had a better day, Pato!!! It's only uphill from here. It feels like it will be forever until I can actually chew again (and even longer until I can satisfy my popcorn craving), but I'm hanging in there and trying to find the bright spots where ever possible. How are you taking your Protein in during the clear phase? Today is the first day I could have any because it creates a viscous liquid rather than a clear one.

They gave me the okay to start Protein with milk yesterday, 4 days post-op. So far what I did is I use 8oz Simply Smart fat free milk (10 grms. protein) plus vanilla unjury (21 grms. of protein) plus I put a scoop of GENEPRO (unflavoured protein) which has 30 grms. of Protein so in those 8 oz. I can get the required 60 grms. of protein for the day. I do not love the flavor but I am not really carzy about Protein shakes. Once I can start with yogurts and the other stuff I am planning on just using the GENEPRO unflavoured protein in yogurt, cream Soups, etc., I have tried it before and it really does not change the texture or taste.

I'm glad you had a better day, Pato!!! It's only uphill from here. It feels like it will be forever until I can actually chew again (and even longer until I can satisfy my popcorn craving), but I'm hanging in there and trying to find the bright spots where ever possible. How are you taking your protein in during the clear phase? Today is the first day I could have any because it creates a viscous liquid rather than a clear one.

Hi February sleevers

I had my surgery on Monday morning. Waking up from surgery was difficult, quite a bit of pain and nausea. Thankfully, things are much better now. I was wondering how much liquids are you being able to get every day? Yesterday (4 days post op) I did 45 liquids and 60 grms. protien. I am really trying to get to 60 today. I have my follow up appointment Tuesday and the Dr. will not move me to pureed foods until I get 60ml of liquid a day. Just the thought of being in clear liquids for a another week makes me sick. Honestly, the clear liquids parts has truly been the hardest part of all the process so far. Thank you for all your responses and best of luck!

Patricia

I feel your pain, I had my surgery Feb 2nd and I start my puree diet on Monday the 16th. After 4 days, I ditched the protien powders, it was just too sweet for me. Now I use plain yogurt, PB2 powder, and half of a banana to give me the 20 grams of Protein 3 times per day, hang in there, you be moved to pureed foods soon.

@@pato_3472 I agree those Protein Shakes taste terrible! I was drinking chocolate Bariatric Advantage for a while, and it was only tolerable when prepared in a blender with half a banana and some caffeine free instant coffee. Or with a spoonful of Peanut Butter. I'm having a much easier time adding the unflavored whey Protein to my Soups and smoothies. It's not changing the flavor and if I add Water, it doesn't change the texture either. Are you allowed to add anything to your shakes to improve the flavor?

I am still pre op and I find the shakes a bit too sweet, depending on the flavor I cut it up to 1/2 of the scoop with the unflavored. I am using the Unjury and I find them all VERY good, just too sweet full strength.

I finally have my date-February 26th, pre-op the 18th. I started the pre-op diet this past Monday. I'm so excited! I have clothes in sizes 12-20w and look forward to "shopping" in my very vast closets (multiple places and styles-attic, cedar closet, spare room).

Thanks to previous posters for letting me know about the tastebuds changing, I'm on an iPad and I can't see previous posts as I type this. Tried to remember : @@LENCHEN I forgot about PB2, I bought some and forgot about it. @@butterfly125 I've read so many times that the walking helps with the gas.

@FinallyFit50s

Like most of us I did a lot of research and kept reading about walking, so when the nurse in recovery asked if wanted to take a few steps I said sure. I am so glad I did. When I got to my room I would walk as much as I could. A nurse stopped me on day 2 and said she has been watching me and knows I am going to do well because of all the walking, that made me feel great. I did have gas pains but I don’t think nearly as bad because of the walking. Good luck you are going to do great.

My surgery is on 2/18/15 which is on Wednesday! ! I am super excited! I have faith in God that my procedure will go well!

As of right now, in the liquid stage, I am not allowed to add anything to the shakes. Once I start stage 2 (pureed foods) I can add fruit which I am definitely planning on doing so. Hopefully once I can start with pureed food I will try to get as much Protein from food rather than those nasty shakes :)

@@pato_3472 I agree those Protein Shakes taste terrible! I was drinking chocolate Bariatric Advantage for a while, and it was only tolerable when prepared in a blender with half a banana and some caffeine free instant coffee. Or with a spoonful of Peanut Butter. I'm having a much easier time adding the unflavored whey protein to my Soups and smoothies. It's not changing the flavor and if I add Water, it doesn't change the texture either. Are you allowed to add anything to your shakes to improve the flavor?

I had my surgery on Thursday and I was prepared for the worse (just in case). So far it has been best. They had me

walking in the recovery room, not much but back and forth a couple times. When I got to my room, I walked whenever

I could. What a difference, got rid of a lot of gas that way (both ends). I gained 4 pounds from the IVs they had me

hooked up to but that is just Water weight. After all the fear of the unknown, I am thrilled so far. I am not saying I don’t

have pain but it isn’t as bad as I had thought, what I have I can live with. It should be getting better every day.

Good luck to all the February Sleevers. :rolleyes:

Congratulations!

My surgery is on 2/18/15 which is on Wednesday! ! I am super excited! I have faith in God that my procedure will go well!

God bless you! Its going to be great! Our stats are VERY similar :D I go on 2/24.