Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet Cheating!

Aribay1

I hear you.

I recently posted a thread and didn't get responses I'd hoped for/ expected. I'm still processing what everyone said, because I know they're giving me their best advise- even if it isn't concordant with what I wanted to read. Actually, I'd hoped to see a post from you to get perspective from the young-set.

I understand It's hard to read when people don't agree with you or don't give the type of reinforcement you'd hoped for. Some of it can be pretty harsh. Take time to process it. It's a lot to absorb.

I'm so relieved you've course-corrected. SO important.

I cheated on my pre-op, and on my post op. I was on medifast liquid yuk for 3 months pre, and the post-op: Clear liquids and then more shakes Nothing solid for ~3months total? OMFG! I couldn't take it. Had to sink my teeth into 'something', can't remember what it was, but I know it wasn't crunchy. Probably a McD's happy meal hamburger (not the whole meal). I didn't do it a lot, probably 2-3 x's in 3 months. Even after the 1st 2 fills- I was ravenous! I could've eaten the bark off a tree. I had huge guilt, beat myself up to pieces and like you- course corrected.

Not trying to make it sound ok- it wasn't. Still, I did lose the pre-weight I was supposed to and was no worse for the wear on the post- i chewed till extra mush.

I'm banded tho- not sleeved. My stomach wasn't cut at all the way though, although it was stretched up over the bottom of the band and stitched to itself to prevent slippage.

yours and mine, both MAJOR surgeries. The difference is: your stomach wall was sliced clear through. I know you know that. I'm just saying, it's a huge difference.

The posters are right. it's easy for a tiny seed or even a ground up flaxseed to lodge in the incision, easy to get an infection or worse, tear the incision from an unchewed crunchy. (I wonder if you chewed to mush before swallowing)

The raw stitched/stapled wound through the stomach wall is going to take some time to heal. Get something lodged in there- it could literally ruin the rest of your life- or shorten it.

I think the bigger issue, is that when we're young, we think we're indestructible and we'll live forever. VerY common in young, early 20-somethings. We don't think twice about how the decisions we make could make us suffer later on- it seems so far away...

When we're middle-aged, suddenly, we start feeling the repercussions of those bad decisions we made in our youth. Aches & pains all over, trust me. A LOT of middle-agers forget what it's like to be young, with so many years ahead, feeling indestructible- and those bad decisions they made then that caused themselves grief later on.

I don't think you are selfish or have serious mental food obsession issues that you can't follow your plan. I think it sounds more like you didn't fully think through the repercussions of 'cheating' and the super serious ramifications that could result from.... a couple lousy chips.

I hope I'm not making you feel bad. Not my intention.

I'm just letting you know you're not the only one who's 'cheated' pre or post surg. That wasn't a good choice for either of us. We know that.

There's probably others who've cheated as well but aren't brave enough to be truthful and/ or didn't post openly on it.

I also want you to know I care, and want you to really understand that major surgery is no joke.

We have to be patient and allow our bodies to heal. There's no rushing it. There's no such thing as wonder woman super fast healer. You just have to love yourself, love your body inside and out, whatever weight or size you are, and allow yourself the time to heal. And as your body heals, so will your mind, and your insecurities, and your head-hunger, dying for some crunch, and your poor outlook of yourself - all goes away - Super exciting prospect for your future- but only if you allow yourself to heal properly. And I know you will.

With love...

Aribay1

I hear you.

I recently posted a thread and didn't get responses I'd hoped for/ expected. I'm still processing what everyone said, because I know they're giving me their best advise- even if it isn't concordant with what I wanted to read. Actually, I'd hoped to see a post from you to get perspective from the young-set.

I understand It's hard to read when people don't agree with you or don't give the type of reinforcement you'd hoped for. Some of it can be pretty harsh. Take time to process it. It's a lot to absorb.

I'm so relieved you've course-corrected. SO important.

I cheated on my pre-op, and on my post op. I was on medifast liquid yuk for 3 months pre, and the post-op: Clear Liquids and then more shakes Nothing solid for ~3months total? OMFG! I couldn't take it. Had to sink my teeth into 'something', can't remember what it was, but I know it wasn't crunchy. Probably a McD's happy meal hamburger (not the whole meal). I didn't do it a lot, probably 2-3 x's in 3 months. Even after the 1st 2 fills- I was ravenous! I could've eaten the bark off a tree. I had huge guilt, beat myself up to pieces and like you- course corrected.

Not trying to make it sound ok- it wasn't. Still, I did lose the pre-weight I was supposed to and was no worse for the wear on the post- i chewed till extra mush.

I'm banded tho- not sleeved. My stomach wasn't cut at all the way though, although it was stretched up over the bottom of the band and stitched to itself to prevent slippage.

yours and mine, both MAJOR surgeries. The difference is: your stomach wall was sliced clear through. I know you know that. I'm just saying, it's a huge difference.

The posters are right. it's easy for a tiny seed or even a ground up flaxseed to lodge in the incision, easy to get an infection or worse, tear the incision from an unchewed crunchy. (I wonder if you chewed to mush before swallowing)

The raw stitched/stapled wound through the stomach wall is going to take some time to heal. Get something lodged in there- it could literally ruin the rest of your life- or shorten it.

I think the bigger issue, is that when we're young, we think we're indestructible and we'll live forever. VerY common in young, early 20-somethings. We don't think twice about how the decisions we make could make us suffer later on- it seems so far away...

When we're middle-aged, suddenly, we start feeling the repercussions of those bad decisions we made in our youth. Aches & pains all over, trust me. A LOT of middle-agers forget what it's like to be young, with so many years ahead, feeling indestructible- and those bad decisions they made then that caused themselves grief later on.

I don't think you are selfish or have serious mental food obsession issues that you can't follow your plan. I think it sounds more like you didn't fully think through the repercussions of 'cheating' and the super serious ramifications that could result from.... a couple lousy chips.

I hope I'm not making you feel bad. Not my intention.

I'm just letting you know you're not the only one who's 'cheated' pre or post surg. That wasn't a good choice for either of us. We know that.

There's probably others who've cheated as well but aren't brave enough to be truthful and/ or didn't post openly on it.

I also want you to know I care, and want you to really understand that major surgery is no joke.

We have to be patient and allow our bodies to heal. There's no rushing it. There's no such thing as wonder woman super fast healer. You just have to love yourself, love your body inside and out, whatever weight or size you are, and allow yourself the time to heal. And as your body heals, so will your mind, and your insecurities, and your head-hunger, dying for some crunch, and your poor outlook of yourself - all goes away - Super exciting prospect for your future- but only if you allow yourself to heal properly. And I know you will.

With love...

Yeah I'm not going to make an excuse and I wasn't thinking when it did happen and it happened I can't change it I did come back though and I just look at everyone's before and after pics and just remind myself none of them had that happen over night and it takes hard work and dedication to get to goal or close to goal. This is exactly what I was hoping for when I posted this. Not every seeming to gang up on a complete stranger. Yeah I'm young but I do know what I'm suppose to do I reread my packets all the time. And I am on track and really looking forward to wait lifting soon. Lol. But thank you for understanding and everything you said if true (also yes I chewed everything to the best I could) but Thank you for this and I'm sorry I never saw your post to comment. How long have you been banded? And I know you said you made a mistakes too but how are you now?

<3

So im,2 weeks out on the puree diet and can no longer hold the secret but I'm cheating I eat plantain chips and corn with flax seeds chips and chunky Peanut Butter. I eat meats that aren't canned and I had Popeyes mashed potatoes. I know I should not have Crunchies but honestly I'm not going to lie I'm sick of this "sheltered" life I just want to be "normal". I don't feel pain with my sleeve and I even snack which isn't in my diet plan at this point. (The chips I'm eating aren't high in fat or sugar or carbs)

Ugh be nice to me but tell me to stop! Or tell me I'm okay. I don't know this is annoying

(cheating) on diets is what most of the world does

we are ONLY cheating ourselves however and we know what we are doing when we do it so its

not cheating..its a decision we make...its a decision you made to do...and you know its wrong because you feel bad about it..

eating foods so soon after surgery can be harmful

our insides MUST heal..so its not a good thing...

if you call and tell your doctor, what would they say?

you are normal...however you are still thinking like a dieter

you need to retire that person if you wish to be successful in getting healthy and losing weight..

3500 calories is a pound (ate or drank) whether its corn with flax seed chips or doritos or cubed cheese..

it is your decision to use your WLS aid of choice as your doctor advised for best results..that is your job..

you just need to do it..

stay busy, read, shop, have sex and drink a lot

you need to stop living to eat and now eat to live..

best of luck

First of all success with weight loss surgery comes with changing your eating habits. These are the same habits that kept you in food prison your whole life. You have to stop because you won't lose the way you should and you will get discouraged and just fail. Knock it off.

First of all success with weight loss surgery comes with changing your eating habits. These are the same habits that kept you in food prison your whole life. You have to stop because you won't lose the way you should and you will get discouraged and just fail. Knock it off.

I'm back on track. Thanks you.

@@Aribay1 How are you doing today?

Here is a bit of advice that you may or may not have gotten in all the posts before, but I know that this helps me when I am having difficult days. I ask myself that very question.

How am I doing today? Or at the end of the day, How did I do today?

If my answers are not so great...I ate this or that high calorie thing or I didn't get my exercise program in or I just spent the whole day feeling sorry for myself and self sabotaged or what ever my reason for a "bad" day might be...I answer the question honestly. I may or may not share it on the boards, or with my husband or a close friend. I may just work it out and analyze the "why" for myself.

Only I know "why" I didn't have a good day, and if I'm honest it's not the bad day at work that made me eat the chocolate, it's not the lack of sleep that had me driving through Wendy's. It's more than that, and those are the things we need to get at to make the life style change we so want.

It's not going to happen over night. It's not going to happen in a week, or a month, it's not going to happen because you had WLS. The only way it is going to happen is moment by moment choice by choice and taking honest accountability for yourself and your actions.

No need to punish you with words, or lectures, no need to tell you that you need therapy or scare you about hurting your self and/or ruining your internal organs and messing up your surgery.

None of that will matter, in fact none of it will change a thing until and unless YOU decide that it matters to YOU.

So....How are you doing today?

@@Aribay1 How are you doing today?

Here is a bit of advice that you may or may not have gotten in all the posts before, but I know that this helps me when I am having difficult days. I ask myself that very question.

How am I doing today? Or at the end of the day, How did I do today?

If my answers are not so great...I ate this or that high calorie thing or I didn't get my exercise program in or I just spent the whole day feeling sorry for myself and self sabotaged or what ever my reason for a "bad" day might be...I answer the question honestly. I may or may not share it on the boards, or with my husband or a close friend. I may just work it out and analyze the "why" for myself.

Only I know "why" I didn't have a good day, and if I'm honest it's not the bad day at work that made me eat the chocolate, it's not the lack of sleep that had me driving through Wendy's. It's more than that, and those are the things we need to get at to make the life style change we so want.

It's not going to happen over night. It's not going to happen in a week, or a month, it's not going to happen because you had WLS. The only way it is going to happen is moment by moment choice by choice and taking honest accountability for yourself and your actions.

No need to punish you with words, or lectures, no need to tell you that you need therapy or scare you about hurting your self and/or ruining your internal organs and messing up your surgery.

None of that will matter, in fact none of it will change a thing until and unless YOU decide that it matters to YOU.

So....How are you doing today?

Wow this was very inspirational and I enjoyed that although you told me everything everyone has said you said it with calmness and care.

And to answer your question I'm doing fine. Stressing because I need another job but not letting that interfere with my eating habbits. I eat and drink what I'm suppose to and although I'm pretty sure I'm hungry I don't listen. I stick to my times of eating and such. I go for my 3 week post op appointment and excited to see what the doctor and my NUT have to say.

Thank you really you don't know how much I needed these words today.