Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A question about calorie intake

I will be consulting my dietician, but wanted to get a few ideas from you folks first. I'm about 8 months out and I have lost a total of 129 lbs. I have been eating 1200 calories. However, I have really upped the exercise. I run 3 times a week, 4 miles each time, and I do a strength training class 2 times a week. Is 1200 enough? Sometimes it doesn't feel like enough, but when I go over I feel so guilty. Anyone have any insight?

Hi Marathongirl

Congrats on you accomplishment so far! I think this is an interesting topic because everyone is a little different with calorie intake. I am 10+ months post surgery and currently doing 1300 calories a day. I was up to 1400 calories, but had to cut back on exercise due to an injury so I cut calories as well.

I think it depends on how you feel and if you have enough energy to do the exercises. I found that I had to change my pattern of eating and also the amount of carbs I ingested to allow for increased energy to exercise. Early on I ate low carb, under 50 per day. I was able to maximize weight loss this way. But once my exercise intensity picked up I had to increase carbs to 80-100 per day. This allowed for additional carbs before exercise and Protein after.

I also found that a steady increase in calories helped with the weight loss. Every time my weight loss slowed, increasing calories helped me get "unstuck". Sometimes we don't eat enough, specially when we exercise, and that can slow weight loss.

Hi Marathongirl

Congrats on you accomplishment so far! I think this is an interesting topic because everyone is a little different with calorie intake. I am 10+ months post surgery and currently doing 1300 calories a day. I was up to 1400 calories, but had to cut back on exercise due to an injury so I cut calories as well.

I think it depends on how you feel and if you have enough energy to do the exercises. I found that I had to change my pattern of eating and also the amount of carbs I ingested to allow for increased energy to exercise. Early on I ate low carb, under 50 per day. I was able to maximize weight loss this way. But once my exercise intensity picked up I had to increase carbs to 80-100 per day. This allowed for additional carbs before exercise and Protein after.

I also found that a steady increase in calories helped with the weight loss. Every time my weight loss slowed, increasing calories helped me get "unstuck". Sometimes we don't eat enough, specially when we exercise, and that can slow weight loss.

Thank you so much for your insight! I did notice that even though I upped the calories, I still lost. I do need to up the carbs a bit for sure. You're awesome!

I am only 4 months post-op RNY but recently started working out with a trainer. I gave him all of my information and went over examples of my diet. Honestly, I don't think I take in enough calories now (probably under 1000 a day) but I just am not that hungry. I stick to 3 meals a day with no Snacks. My trainer said I need to up my calories a bit so I started drinking a Protein shake around 6:30 when I leave for work then have Breakfast around 8:30. It has helped me increase my Protein by al lot. I'm shooting for working out 5 days a week. So far so good, I haven't been dragging at all!

Congrats on all of your success and thank you for posting!

I am only 4 months post-op RNY but recently started working out with a trainer. I gave him all of my information and went over examples of my diet. Honestly, I don't think I take in enough calories now (probably under 1000 a day) but I just am not that hungry. I stick to 3 meals a day with no Snacks. My trainer said I need to up my calories a bit so I started drinking a Protein shake around 6:30 when I leave for work then have Breakfast around 8:30. It has helped me increase my Protein by al lot. I'm shooting for working out 5 days a week. So far so good, I haven't been dragging at all!

Congrats on all of your success and thank you for posting!

Awesome job! Exercise is definitely key to losing those inches! I was getting really hungry after runs, so I added a Protein Shake to help out and it's worked. My doc doesn't want me drinking them anymore, but oh well. I have to do what I have to do. Good luck with your continued weight loss!

I will be consulting my dietician, but wanted to get a few ideas from you folks first. I'm about 8 months out and I have lost a total of 129 lbs. I have been eating 1200 calories. However, I have really upped the exercise. I run 3 times a week, 4 miles each time, and I do a strength training class 2 times a week. Is 1200 enough? Sometimes it doesn't feel like enough, but when I go over I feel so guilty. Anyone have any insight?

Given the significant increase in your exercise, you probably need more calories. You're also building muscle which has more resting caloric demands, so you're burning more calories doing nothing.