Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regrets after Gastric Sleeve Surgery, is this normal?

No. Water and Protein are 2 totally separate requirements.

My surgeon told me that the 60 oz Water per day "requirement" is just an arbitrary number. No good studies have been done to show that the body NEEDS that much water in a day. We also get water from foods--soups, fruits and veggies, etc. My doc knows I had a lot of trouble getting in my fluids for a long time and said as long as my urine output is adequate I'm fine. At almost 7 months out i drink around 40 oz a day and I'm very healthy and my labs look great, no sign of dehydration. It makes me nuts when people stress over a stupid, unproven number!

Protein intake is very important, but not in the first month or so because your body has a lot of it stored up. Be patient with your new baby stomach. Things get so much better when it heals and all the swelling goes down. Eventually you'll be eating normally again, but hopefully is well be a "new normal. "

Folks, you're not going to gain your weight back because you only drank 50 oz of water or only ate 45g protein. Regain is due to a return to old, unhealthy eating habits! That's where "bariatric failure" happens.

I can literally eat ANYTHING I want. But I CHOOSE NOT TO eat foods that are not on my plan. I choose to be healthy and let my sleeve do its job. Saying "I can't have..." a certain food makes you want it more. If you tell yourself "I can have that, but I choose not to" it creates a whole different dynamic in your brain and you don't feel deprived anymore, but rather proud of yourself for making a good choice for yourself. Make sense?

Pushing water past my comfort level and counting protein grams is not for me, it takes away the joy in my life. I'm aware of how much I drink and make sure I get enough to stay hydrated but I don't push. I make sure every meal and snack is protein-focused, but I don't count protein grams anymore. Life is a wonderful gift. For the first time in decades, I feel like I'm really living it!

This was very helpful, I don't want to obsess about every oz of Water every minute. I saw the Dr. for my one week visit today and he said basically what you did, in the beginning there is a large supply and not to be overly concerned. Focus on hi Protein, low carb and low fat and exercise, exercise, exercise, keep moving. He stressed that the most.

It is 5 days post op, I don't feel myself yet but getting stronger every day and getting used to this tremendous change in my body and life. I am now onto puréed foods and will be able to enjoy the foods tha are best for me.

Many many thanks!!!

Can anyone tell me the approx. week out of surgery that you were able to eat baked chicken (not blended)?

Your feelings are normal. I'm now two weeks post-op (as of yesterday) and that first week was extremely tough! Everyone in my household was eating food, and I was on a liquid diet. I had major regrets at first. However, they were all oriented around the food that I couldn't eat. I started on mushies and some soft foods yesterday and I feel so much better. I did have a moment of weakness over the weekend. I had some Sprite so I could get some gas to pass. It was a huge mistake. I've been craving it ever since. But, I am not going to let it get me down. You're strong. You didn't come to this decision lightly. You can do it!

It won't be weeks..... It will be MONTHS before your sleeve can handle baked chicken. Even so, it will have to be very very moist and tender and you will have to chew it extremely well. You'll be better off if it has some kind of sauce with it to keep it moist. Chicken and beef are both difficult to digest and are generally the last foods to be added to your diet.

It won't be weeks..... It will be MONTHS before your sleeve can handle baked chicken. Even so, it will have to be very very moist and tender and you will have to chew it extremely well. You'll be better off if it has some kind of sauce with it to keep it moist. chicken and beef are both difficult to digest and are generally the last foods to be added to your diet.

Very very true ???? I learned the hard way ????????????????????

Thanks for the info:-)

I was allowed baked chicken at 3 weeks out. All doctors are different. My sleeve handled it just fine but of course I could only eat a few bites and it wasn't dry.

I'm a week out today. I'm still on liquids and feel like I'm losing my mind. I attempted cream of wheat and some thinned refried Beans. Felt awful afterwards. I called the dietician for advise. I'm hoping it gets better when I'm allowed mushy next week.

@@Onephatmom

Keep your head up. It will be ok. Liquids was the worst for me. I had a hard time getting through each day. I did it though because I kept my eyes on the prize! ???? You will be in the mushy phase before you know it!

I had baked chicken the third week also. Small bites and chewed well. I have had no problems at all. Everyone is different. Dark meat seems to be better because it is moister. But I can eat white meat too.

I had mcdonalds chicken noodle Soup (very tasty) and had a few pieces of chicken that was in the Soup. I could only take about 3-4 bites and a little broth. I didn't have any issues. That was why I was wondering when we could eat baked chicken. I'm finding out that I have to try different things to see if I can tolerate it. I was surprised that I did not tolerate mashed potatoes well.

Totally normal! Don't worry one minute about it. You feel like crap. You will for a while. Then it gets better. Then more better. And the weight is coming off. You sleep better. Your clothes are too big. You have a spring in your step. Yep, your relationship with food will change a lot. But you will not miss it. It's like somebody hit a reset button for you. Trust us. It's tough but oh so worth it.

I would also like to know if people get very hungry post op? I am one week, on mushy foods, but I am hungry a great deal of the time. I can't eat much at once, trying to drink as much as I can, but find I need to eat every few hours, physical hunger, not psychological. Do people experience this?