Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regrets after Gastric Sleeve Surgery, is this normal?

I did not read others' comments b/c I wanted to be real. You are not far out at all. I am 6 months out and I do have regrets. There are those that everything is spectacular and then there are others. I simply cannot eat much at all and it is obvious. I am tall and frankly, too thin. I did have my Vitamin levels checked and all is fine there. My problem is that when I eat I experience pain in my stomach. I know I will have to address this. For the time being, I am enjoying my pre-made plans and I will deal with this later.

I never had any desire to be skinny; as I was never really obese. More than that, socially it's obvious. I have literally wrapped food in napkins to avoid comments.

For those who date, I recommend tapas restaurants.

Out of curiosity, why did you have this surgery if you were never obese?

I am 13 days out and have felt the same way off and on since I got home from the hospital. During my hospital stay I was so focused on my pain and getting well enough to go home I didn't have time to have buyer's remorse. The reality of it really didn't sink in until a few days ago. I just keep telling myself it will be better in two days, then I can go onto the pureed - mashed phase of the diet.

I am on day 28 post sleeve, and yes I do regret my decision. I feel like I have wasted $8500.00 out of my family's funds to do something that isn't even working. I lost 12 before surgery, and additional 8 the first week. I have not lost a single pound since. I am unable to eat without foaming to the gills, ending with spectacular encore of spewing. (commenters please don't tell me to eat slower, chew more, don't drink. I have tried to go so far and portioning out ¼ cups and eating over an hour. I have consulted my NUT and I am eating and doing what I am supposed to. I am getting my fluids and Liquid Protein in, I just don't want to live the rest of my life on liquids ). I watch my family and friends enjoy themselves visiting over foods while I sit there because I have developed a fear of eating with people around. I am simply frustrated and upset. I feel like all of this misery is for nothing.

I am truly happy for those in which this has worked, and I hope your regrets soon pass. I also wish you the best and hope you never have to feel as I do.

I am on day 28 post sleeve, and yes I do regret my decision. I feel like I have wasted $8500.00 out of my family's funds to do something that isn't even working. I lost 12 before surgery, and additional 8 the first week. I have not lost a single pound since. I am unable to eat without foaming to the gills, ending with spectacular encore of spewing. (commenters please don't tell me to eat slower, chew more, don't drink. I have tried to go so far and portioning out ¼ cups and eating over an hour. I have consulted my NUT and I am eating and doing what I am supposed to. I am getting my fluids and liquid Protein in, I just don't want to live the rest of my life on liquids ). I watch my family and friends enjoy themselves visiting over foods while I sit there because I have developed a fear of eating with people around. I am simply frustrated and upset. I feel like all of this misery is for nothing.

I am truly happy for those in which this has worked, and I hope your regrets soon pass. I also wish you the best and hope you never have to feel as I do.

r

I am so sorry you are having these problems. That sounds awful. I do hope things improve for you. I completely understand that what is happening is not what your expected. Please keep me updated on how you are doing

r

I am so sorry you are having these problems. That sounds awful. I do hope things improve for you. I completely understand that what is happening is not what your expected. Please keep me updated on how you are doing

Thank you fellow Disney fan, I will. Hopefully a year from now I will regret my regrets. Just feeling pretty low and discouraged tonight. Thank you again for your kind words.

I only hope it gets better for you very soon. I take strength in hearing how effective it is for most and I hope you will get results soon. My sugar levels are now normal 4 days post op, so I am encouraged ( I am diabetic and off of meds.)

I feel now that if I could have done anything else I would have, I struggled a lifetime with food, even during my 20 plus thin years, years ago. But the last 29 years I have had no long term success so this was my last attempt, mostly for health reasons I am 62.)

Don't give up, I have read that sometimes it takes the body longer to adjust, and while I really feel what you are saying I am keeping my fingers crossed that things turn around for you soon. Keep me posted.

I was sleeved 11/12/14. I do get frustrated sometimes seeing my family enjoy meals that I can't have but I realize it's a process. I'm still try to get all my fluids and Proteins in. I had a hernia repair so I'm not sure if that is making it more difficult but I've yet to reach 64oz of Water and 70-80g Protein. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get more to go down, please let me know. Also, I'm only down 1lb since surgery. Anyhow, to everyone struggling, keep your head up. Rome wasn't built in a day. ????

It gets so so so much better, I promise! You new sleevers are in the toughest part right now.... making the most sacrifices and not seeing much results yet. It will pass! Months from now you will be able to eat with your family (hopefully ALL of you will be eating healthy meals together), and this will all be an unpleasant memory.

Don't stress too much over the Protein and Fluid numbers. Your body has Protein stores to last you for several weeks, and as long as you're urinating every 4 hours or so you've got adequate fluids. It's very hard to get all those "requirements" in at first when your stomach is so tiny and swollen. It does get much easier!

As to not losing much in the first week post-op, keep in mind that they overloaded you with IV fluids during surgery to help with the nausea. It takes time for your kidneys to kick in and get rid of all that extra Fluid, which weighs a lot by the way! If you follow doctor's orders, the weight will come off easily, I promise you! When you are buying clothes off the rack and everyone is telling you how great you look and you realize you have no more pain and haven't felt this good in years, you will have no regrets. :)

Hang in there folks, remember the first 2 months are the hardest, and it gets way easier!

It gets so so so much better, I promise! You new sleevers are in the toughest part right now.... making the most sacrifices and not seeing much results yet. It will pass! Months from now you will be able to eat with your family (hopefully ALL of you will be eating healthy meals together), and this will all be an unpleasant memory.

Don't stress too much over the Protein and Fluid numbers. Your body has Protein stores to last you for several weeks, and as long as you're urinating every 4 hours or so you've got adequate fluids. It's very hard to get all those "requirements" in at first when your stomach is so tiny and swollen. It does get much easier!

As to not losing much in the first week post-op, keep in mind that they overloaded you with IV fluids during surgery to help with the nausea. It takes time for your kidneys to kick in and get rid of all that extra Fluid, which weighs a lot by the way! If you follow doctor's orders, the weight will come off easily, I promise you! When you are buying clothes off the rack and everyone is telling you how great you look and you realize you have no more pain and haven't felt this good in years, you will have no regrets. :)

Hang in there folks, remember the first 2 months are the hardest, and it gets way easier!

Wow, that info is great to know. Because I am not hitting any numbers and I am almost 3 weeks out. I called my doc, his go to girl that is to be my support out of his office failed me really bad! She like follow what I told you or you will fail!

I had surgery in July,and spent the day after surgery miserable,bad headache and vomiting ,I definitely had second thoughts! I've also been through the stalls and still have a difficult time hydrating, I get about 48 ounces a day. Now I am 70 pounds down and exersizing more and feeling better and looking better. Just keep plugging,it gets better.

Gets better everyday and a lot better after the first week. I also am glad to hear about everyone's liquid intake as I am 10 days out too and can only get about 40 oz and have been worried about it.

Just a sidebar that has me confused (I'm pre-op) when you say 40 oz are you calculating the Water and Protein combined?