Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FINALLY! I have found not one but TWO things I **HATE** about my sleeve.

First and foremost, I am cold as a mothafookah! ALL THE TIME.

I am wearing jeans when most people are wearing shorts. I always have a tank top on under my sweater and am usually wearing fleece leggings under my pants. As a fatty, I never ever wore a coat unless I was skiing and now, not only do I wear one, but I carry a spare if I am going in to my kids' schools to use as a blanket.

I keep my house at 74 and I turn on the fireplace when I am downstairs. I set my car thermostat at 88 and can hardly bear to get out of my car and go into stores. The grocery, which is always colder than any other place including Antarctica, has me scurrying through as quickly as possible and shaking uncontrollably by the time I am out of there.

I sleep in wool socks, fleece leggings, a tank and a long sleeve tshirt. I wrap myself in a wool blanket and then get under the sheet, fleece blanket, down comforter and regular comforter. (Husband is pretty sure he's not getting any action until summer. He's probably right.)

I am cold cold cold cold cold and it's 45 degrees outside. I am probably not going to survive when it hits the teens.

Second is something I just figured out last night. I can no longer have a glass of milk with my brownie/muffin/cake. Yeah, yeah, I know. I am not supposed to be eating those things, but I had the sleeve so I could live a relatively normal life post op. I have a slight stricture so I am forced to follow the no drinking for an hour after eating rule or I will vomit. I don't like it, but I've leaned to live with it after 18 months.

Last night I ate half of the best chocolate chip muffin I've ever had. I wanted a glass of milk SO bad, I couldn't resist. I poured about two inches and it was so delicious, I chugged it. The milk and the muffin revisited. Quickly. I barely made it to the bathroom. Ugh.

SO YES. I found two things I hate about my sleeve. That said, there are so many HUGE things I love about it, I don't regret it for a minute. I can bundle up, I can wait on the milk. I can't imagine ever going back to where I was. I am thrilled about my decision despite these two stupid little things and I am so happy I had surgery. SO HAPPY.

Edited by LipstickLady

@@LipstickLady, from what I understand the coldness can last the first year or so and can revert to pre op "normalcy" afterwards. I have to admit that walking into work in single digit windchill now gives me a chill in places I've not felt that before!

Edited by VSGPapi

I also have issues with milk. You'd think it'd just go down like Water, but nope. it kinda' just doesn't.

One thing I've somehow learned to do (with all liquids), is a "preemptive" belch: As I swallow, or just after I swallow [whatever], I will force a little belch. That way, any gas bubble that might be sitting there will be out of the way to make a wee bit more room for the more viscous milk/whatever.

As one with periodic night sweats, I don't mind any cooler temps; oddly, I actually love cold weather anyway, tho my friends think I'm crazy to do so. Oh well. :-)

Well, I look forward to being a little colder when I get sleeved. I have a window air conditioner in my bedroom window, because the central air doesnt keep it cool enough for me. So maybe I will be able to retire it now. I am glad to know that you were able to eat a brownie/muffin/cake. I am going into this because I wanted to use my sleeve to assist me with my weight loss. To think that I would be deprived of something, made me unsuccessful at dieting.

LOL!! Your post has me dying laughing. Not to laugh at your misfortune but, with the week I am having, you have given me the laugh I needed. Thank you. :)

For the record, I am cold alot now too. With that and battling menopause, I am a walking hot/cold mess. My poor hubby. LOL!

Edited by Essence46

I'm a bander but I'm cold too for the first time EVER in my life. It's only November. Yikes.

I feel you. Almost 2 years out and still cold. Not looking forward to winter- at all. Also can't eat and drink or I puke or if I eat too fast, I puke. But I love my sleeve and I'll gladly layer up in my size small sweaters. :-)

I'm with the rest of you - I actually prefer the cold because I've spent so many years dying in the heat!!! I've also been ramping up my fitness level, which makes walking out into the cool evening air here in SoCal so much nicer. I do confess though, I did have to sleep with socks on for a couple of nights when this strange new phenomenon of being cold first struck. Since then, I still leave the ceiling fan on all night, but I close the sliding glass door now. Much quieter! Oh, and I completely get the hate part about eating (or not) - ugh!!! Not a milk drinker, but not drinking ANYTHING during and right after a meal was the hardest thing I have done throughout this journey so far. :D

Edited by NavyMom2006

I've always been that person that was cold, even before surgery. Having surgery hasn't made me colder. But, I am only a week and a half out. I am the person that will wrap myself up in layers under a wool blanket and down comforter only to turn on my fan in the middle of those unbearable Michigan winters. I do realize that I am weird. I am always cold, and sometimes, I like it. I can only hope that I don't get colder.

First and foremost, I am cold as a mothafookah! ALL THE TIME.

I am wearing jeans when most people are wearing shorts. I always have a tank top on under my sweater and am usually wearing fleece leggings under my pants. As a fatty, I never ever wore a coat unless I was skiing and now, not only do I wear one, but I carry a spare if I am going in to my kids' schools to use as a blanket.

I keep my house at 74 and I turn on the fireplace when I am downstairs. I set my car thermostat at 88 and can hardly bear to get out of my car and go into stores. The grocery, which is always colder than any other place including Antarctica, has me scurrying through as quickly as possible and shaking uncontrollably by the time I am out of there.

I sleep in wool socks, fleece leggings, a tank and a long sleeve tshirt. I wrap myself in a wool blanket and then get under the sheet, fleece blanket, down comforter and regular comforter. (Husband is pretty sure he's not getting any action until summer. He's probably right.)

I am cold cold cold cold cold and it's 45 degrees outside. I am probably not going to survive when it hits the teens.

Second is something I just figured out last night. I can no longer have a glass of milk with my brownie/muffin/cake. Yeah, yeah, I know. I am not supposed to be eating those things, but I had the sleeve so I could live a relatively normal life post op. I have a slight stricture so I am forced to follow the no drinking for an hour after eating rule or I will vomit. I don't like it, but I've leaned to live with it after 18 months.

Last night I ate half of the best chocolate chip muffin I've ever had. I wanted a glass of milk SO bad, I couldn't resist. I poured about two inches and it was so delicious, I chugged it. The milk and the muffin revisited. Quickly. I barely made it to the bathroom. Ugh.

SO YES. I found two things I hate about my sleeve. That said, there are so many HUGE things I love about it, I don't regret it for a minute. I can bundle up, I can wait on the milk. I can't imagine ever going back to where I was. I am thrilled about my decision despite these two stupid little things and I am so happy I had surgery. SO HAPPY.

its cold because we have lost our FAT /INSULATION im 1 1/2yrs post op &the same way.

Now I am scared. I am cold now so I can't imagine what's going be like postop. Ughh! Btw, seeing the surgeon next Weds. ;). Wool socks on my list!

I was warned by the psychiatrist who cleared me for surgery that I would feel cold after losing weight. But that hasn't happened to me. As a matter of fact, now that my fitness level has improved, I think I'm actually more comfortable in cooler temperatures than I was 100 pounds ago. Just lucky, I guess. But what I did have to get used to is the lack of padding on my bottom. I now have to use a cushion in my car if I'm going on a long drive.

I'm cold all the damn time. Before I left my job, I had a dedicated sweater. But the sweater was not cutting it so I had a blanket. I KEPT A BLANKET AT MY JOB!! Who keeps a blanket at their job? This broad. I layer my clothes. Normally I detest summer, but this summer was so mild here in Chicago. I would try to go outside from the froze AC of my office but it was only 60 degrees outside when it should have been 85 and humid. I could never get warm. Right now in my own house, I'm wearing a fleece, a cashmere scarf and my winter hat. The heat is on. So yeah, that aspect sucks. But I would not trade it for being 312lbs and diabetes again.

Edited by Forsythia

I had RNY and down 132 lbs. I didn't like the cold before but now I am freezing. I'm sitting in front of a fire wearing wool socks and insulated sweat pants and shirt. I have a giant wool sweater at work-it is a size 24 wrap sweater that keep wearing because it fits over everything and goes to my knees now. Maybe it will pass? Don't know but I have a nice electric blanket and lots of layers!!