Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What should I bring to Tijuana?

I live in remote AK and do not have access to big box stores, GNC, etc. I am stocking up for my sugery in Jan 2015. Can anyone please help me by adding to my list? Or, help me cross stuff off if I don't really need it?

Also, other than boullion, what can I consume while travelling on the liquid diet? All I can think of to do is bring bulllion. (I will be on a 3 day clear liquid diet.)

To bring to Mexico:

-Bathrobe

-Flip flops

-Pillow (will be able to throw away or leave there)

-Light blanket

-Boullion (for plane ride down there)

-Laxatives (what kind did you use??)

-A few light outfits (mainly yoga pants/capris)

-The usual toiletries (mini shamps/condish, soap, etc)

-Kindle loaded with TV shows, movies, books

-Neosporin

-Immodium

-Someone said bring pads for diarheaa....was that for real?!

-Compression stockings for air travel

Post Trip (have on hand at home)

-broth

-Jello

-SF popsicles

-Protien shakes, powder

-Mini Blender

I can buy groceries for the puree and soft food parts...but am just trying to cover all bases. If you can't tell, I am a nuerotic planner and might be getting a bit nervous! :)

Much thanks!

@@shizwiz -- Hey there! I'm headed to Mexico for my surgery this Friday. Looking at your list, here is what I'm doing a bit differently:

I am taking loose maxi dresses. (When I had this type of surgery before, I couldn't stand ANYTHING around my waist, so I'm going with dresses to be safe.)

I am taking my own liquid Lortab and Zofran for nausea.

Taking Perisporin instead of Neosporin for surgical wounds.

Tegaderm dressings. (Love these. Can get them at the pharmacy.)

Gatorade Propel packets for Water. (No calorie electrolytes.)

Gas-X strips.

Pads (for diarrhea, yes, but also because sometimes you can accidentally pee after being cathed during surgery. From what I've been reading, some people have diarrhea and others are constipated. The Immodium should help!)

Believe me, I understand nervous, but it sounds like you're doing all your research and will be well prepared!!

--Becca

@@Becca R. Thank you! Good idea on the dresses, I didn't even think of that!!! I may make a doctor appt to ask about pain relief to take down there....I have been pondering it but keep going back and forth.

@@shizwiz -- I went back and forth on the pain relief, too. I finally e-mailed my surgeon to ask how they dealt with both pain and nausea, and that helped me to know that I would want to have my own for back-up. Some sleevers seem to do just great with the medication provided in Mexico, but others said that they really needed something stronger, so I decided to be err on the side of having my own meds. :) I started posting on here about the same time out from surgery as you, and the time has just flown. It will be here before you know it!

--Becca

@@Becca R. I think you are right! I am going to try to make an appt with one of my providers and at least ask. I go to an IHS hospital and they generally don't hand out a lot of pain killers, so I will have to cross my fingers!!

Hi,

I just came back from my sleeve in Tijuana. I had NO nausea, diarrhea, and no pain that wasn't controlled by by what I was given.

I do have some suggestions, but can I ask which surgeon you are using?

RadiantGal

Awesome! How are you doing?

I am going with Dr. Elias Ortiz (A Lighter Me).

Thank you in advance :)

Are flying into San Diego and going to Tijuana!

I am doing great, 3 weeks post op. By the time we got home, a week had gone by and I was encouraged to start my Protein Drinks. I had 3 a day to get my 60-80 gms of Protein, and in between I had nice, hot broths.

Two weeks post op I used my hand held blender to puree Soups ( split pea without the ham and potatoes, etc ) and slooooooowly sip them. My only real problems have been when I don't chew the food thoroughly, or go too fast. I also have added sugar free pudding and made some sugar free tapioca pudding. A small scrambled egg and low fat yogurt have also been added.

I am going to work on getting more veggies in my diet by pureeing canned veggies like carrots and green Beans.

There are some particular Vitamins we need to be taking, per the handout my Dr. gave me, and I have had great fast delivery from

www.bariatricadvantage.com.

I hope this is helpful, and I will send another post about things to bring or not bring.

Take care,

RadiantGal

Glad you are doing so well! It sounds like your recovery is going well and is speedy (or as speedy as it can be!).

I am flying from AK down to San Diego and then will be transported via van across the border to my hotel/hospital. When I leave, I will be taking the same route (van, then flying out of San Diego).

Have a good day :)

Thanks for the nice thoughts! We also flew into San Diego, from Seattle, so I had some info specific to that. I also wondered what I was going to "eat" on the long flight. I bought a small container of powdered bouillon, and a sandwhich shop at the Seattle airport was kind enough to fill my Thermos mug with hot Water so I could have something hot for the flight. And water, water, water. We got in a bit late, so I had one more mug of broth at the Marriott, then sleep, wake up and off to the hospital.

You will only be getting Clear Liquids after surgery, so same thing goes for the flight home. BUT, we discovered a gold mine in the San Diego airport!! I searched up and down for something close to broth, and the closest thing was chicken Soup at "Saffron Healthy Tai" ( at around $8.95 I was not real happy about that........). but when I asked for mostly broth since I had just had surgery, the lady smiled and said they have just broth for that very purpose, for $2.99 !!!!!!! It was sooooo good, light on spices, and felt great on my tummy. It smelled so good my husband also had a cup! We had a long wait so I had an additional cup, and that held me over until we got home. So a huge shout out to Saffron Healthy Tai for having this option for post surgery patients. I do wish they advertised this, but they don't.

I will close, as I need to reread your post about the items you want to bring..

Take care!

@@RadiantGal Thank you so much for that info!!!!! In am definitely going to check that out :) Were you super hungry going in for surgery? I have been trying to substitute shakes for meals and am getting scared about being ravenous on the flight down there....yikes!

And we're you hungry at all after surgery on the way back? So glad you are doing well!! Woot woot!

@@Becca R. Why perisporin and not neosporin?

@@shizwiz, when is your surgery, mine's on the 23rd of December, my birthday.

@@emmuje875 Mine is on 1.16.15. I am going to fly to San Diego on the 14th and stay overnight because my flights will take alllllll day.

Your date is coming up fast!!!! LUCKY!