Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TT-stitch the abs together or no? Advice please!

For those of you who have had TTs, would you recommend the ab muscle tightening/stitching? I'm not going for a bikini body with my TT, I just want my belly flap gone. Has anyone else skipped the ab muscle stitching who would be willing to share their experience? Has anyone had the ab stitching and wished later they hadn't?

I'm 99% sure I'm going to have my stomach fixed. I have a smallish panis (sp?) and loose skin/stretch marks.

When I went in for the consult, the surgeon went through what he does and talked about stitching the ab muscles together to further tighten things up. I asked him about that part and he said I didn't have to do it but he recommended it. He's the expert so I just went with it and didn't ask much more.

However, this seems like something that won't heal together and will forever be held together with the stitches. This might sound dumb since I'm considering plastic surgery, but that seems really unnatura and I'm not sure I want my abs forever stitched together.

Thanks!

I did not have my muscles tightened as I had a hernia surgery previously and mesh is in the way...

Having your stomach muscles tightened will give you a smaller waistline (depending on how far apart they are....

But - Not having those muscles touched meant I had a fleur de lis abdominoplasty with ZERO pain......

But - My waist is not as small as it would be (Maybe an inch bigger, who knows truly - No biggie for me tho as it ain't going anywhere as the mesh is holding it tighly in place) I was below goal when I had mine done and I do believe the closer to goal you are - the less stuff is removed - Cos it is all skin and very little fat which leads to a better result (In my opinion)

Looking back - If I had had the muscles stitched - AFTER the initial pain bit - I think it would look nice - If you have had a few kids like I have then your stomach muscles would not be as tight as someone who has not had any children.

Basically they use a permanent stitch and suture either side of the muscle together ...

I think it is personal choice but if you want a reaaaally flat belly - Then you would want the muscles done - It supports everything above it ya see....

Good luck!

See pic --- and info = http://valentisclinic.co.uk/plastic-surgery/body/tummy-tuck/

tummy-tuck2.jpg

Edited by Scamp

It's very common, especially if you've had kids, for those muscles to separate. Putting it back together is the best way to get and keep a trim look.

Thanks for your replies. I have one child but my abs actually feel ok to me. I'm not so worried about my waist size either. I'll talk to the surgeon again and try to nail him down on how different he thinks it will be and go from there!

Thanks again!

I had an abdominoplasty, and had the muscles sewn back together along with the skin removal, along with a butt lift and brachioplasty. I honestly might not have even had the abdominoplasty done since it was the thing that bothered me the least. My arms and legs bothered me much more. But my insurance actually paid for the abdominplasty portion, so I went ahead and had it done. Now that I did, I'm really glad I did. I had some loose skin, and actually looked pretty good in clothes and had a nice waistline, but the surgeon said the muscles were really separated. So, now that I'm about 3 months out, I'm actually shocked at how great I look! Seriously, way better than at age 20-25 when I was pretty thin. I have a new almond shaped navel and now that the swelling is going down, you can see obliques. I am taught and flat and thin. I didn't think the pain from that was too terrible (my arms hurt way worse).

I am 52 years old, was overweight for most of my adult life, and had three kids. I had no desire to bear my midriff out in public, so I didn't even have expectations that it would be possible. Now that I've had this done, I realize I had set my expectations too low. I think i was so used to being morbidly obese that it never occurred to me that I could look this good.

As an aside, I've started doing yoga, and my abs are still a little sore. I chuckle to myself everytime I'm at yoga because I keep thinking plastic surgery is much quicker, and more effective and rewarding than yoga! ;)

I haven't had any PS done yet. I'm close to my goal & will wait until I'm at or below goal before I have it because I've read quite a bit and saw on that "Botched" TV show- the PS surgeons always recommend to be at or below goal and maintain for awhile before the procedure(s). I'm definitely planning on it- and remain very attentive to these posts about PS procedures.

Thanks all of you who've had it done and share so openly/freely. For a lot of us, it's the last step in this WL journey.

That said, I'll share something I noticed last spring while escaping the frigid great white north last year.

We took a trip to a tropical place to soak up the sun (Vita-D!) and get some relief from snowplowing & shoveling long past the regular season.

I have a bit of an 'apron' though not super large or low-hanging. When I go to tropical places outside this overly-judgemental country, I wear a bikini. The bikini bottom hides my apron

My thinking is: As a human being, living on this Earth, I deserve to get sunshine on my belly just as much as anyone else! The more skin exposure = the more Vita-D our bodies make. It's a natural biological process that I deserve to utilize just as much as anyone else. I don't care what anyone else thinks about what I look like- especially now. I've had soooo many ortho surgeries it would take a full body bag to cover all my scars & imperfections. I feel pretty good about my new slimmer self & am glad I actually have a body & can walk.

It's not like I'm in a bikini trying to attract males flirting around with my 20-something body. I'm doing it for the sunshine health benefit.

I even wore a 2-pc in Mexico when I was quite a bit heavier. I've seen a lot of other heavier women wearing 2-pcs in Mexico & topless sunbathing is common too-though I didn't participate in that at the resort where overly gawking, overly judgmental, overly indulgent (drunk) Americans were the main clientele. Topless is something I have done tho, but off the-mainstream tourist track- at a private cenote or stretches of beach where only locals go. They don't care if you're topless/ heavy/ have scars, whatever.... they're live & let live

anyway, last year, it wasn't Mexico but I still wore my 2pc at the overly-crowded mostly Americans resort beach. So there I was, up on the scale from an unfill, feeling crappy & exhausted, rejuvenating myself soaking up the sun in my bikini.

3 women set up shop nearby (lounge chairs and umbrella). 2 thin women and one heavier. The 2 thin women looked like sisters- both wearing bikinis. The heavier one wore a beach cover-up- neck-to-toe. All in their 50's.

The 2 sisters were very skinny. Looked like genetics- naturally thin. They must've been size 4 or 2. One sister had the signature "mom-bod" - a little bit looser tummy, a tiny little mommy-tummy bulge, a more square-ish waist, stuff that she and maybe her hubby noticed but IMHO, she looked really good.

The other sister was tight tight tight. not a bulge or sag or looseness anywhere. I was really impressed with her body & thought right away- she must've had PS TT. Nothing hung, jiggled or wiggled. I thought: "wow! I wonder if I could get that result on my saggy, wrinkly, jiggly body?"

The difference between the two sisters was staggering, even though they were both naturally skinny women. Very noticeable, side-by-side. Probably not noticeable at all if the non-PS TT sister were there by herself. She looked really good at 50-something

Another big difference I noted was:

The young, muscular, handsome beach waiters and beach umbrella staff were extremely attentive to the woman with the TT- made sure every little detail was done for her - wouldn't let her lift a pinky while her sis huffed her lounge chair & umbrella around positioning them by herself. Sadly, the heavy woman- sat in the sand in her neck-to-toe beach coverup while she waited for her lounge chair to arrive- a good 15-20 min later- AFTER making sure the PS TT woman had every little thing she wanted- which was a lot. lol

This observation was very telling for me; how people are actually treated, according to what they look like/ how firm they are. Sad but true.

I felt bad for the sister and really bad for the heavier woman- who was basically ignored like she didn't exist. IMHO, it's a sad state for humanity in general but it made me really start thinking hard about getting PS TT with stitching the muscles together so I can be flat, flat, flat, and lower body lift- so I can get that same sort of attentive service that woman commanded- just with her figure!

I was blown away by this harsh realization that I'd just observed.

Of course, I'll be doing it for ME- to feel better about myself but also, In a sadder, real sense, it'll make me better able to compete in life: career, socially, dating, getting good quality service, etc.

Hello All,

I think, in the end it might come down to money for me. If my insurance agrees to pay for the paniculectomy, I'll probably let him do the ab stitching (as long as he assures me there is something to heal and that I won't be held together with twine for the rest of my life).

If I have to self-pay then I'll probably skip the ab stitching unless he can make a really compelling argument for me to go for it!

Im getting abdominalplasty December 31 or jan 2nd waiting on the appt date had to pay in full first but used care Credit.

I had a Tummy Tuck and my abs were sewn together in the process. It doesn't really add to the pain at all- I really had minimal recovery time, and the resulting look is certainly worth it. I couldn't immediately tell the difference, but people have commented how small my waiste has become (haha, if they only knew why!) and now in pictures I can see that my waiste is certainly smaller, which gives a nice final look. My doctor didn't really discuss it beforehand and after he said he sews everyone's abs shut just because it makes them much happier with the final look, doesn't really take much more time since they're already in there, and for most people is needed anyway since their abs are separate from weight gain or pregnancy.

I say go for it. :)

I had a Tummy Tuck and my abs were sewn together in the process. It doesn't really add to the pain at all- I really had minimal recovery time, and the resulting look is certainly worth it. I couldn't immediately tell the difference, but people have commented how small my waiste has become (haha, if they only knew why!) and now in pictures I can see that my waiste is certainly smaller, which gives a nice final look. My doctor didn't really discuss it beforehand and after he said he sews everyone's abs shut just because it makes them much happier with the final look, doesn't really take much more time since they're already in there, and for most people is needed anyway since their abs are separate from weight gain or pregnancy.

I say go for it. :)

thanks for advice im so ready.

Thanks all for sharing your stories!

It's going to boil down to my insurance kicking in, I think. If my insurance will cover the paniculectomy, I'll go for the ab stitching.

Please keep your fingers crossed for me that the spot in early December opens up! I'd love to get this done sooner rather than later!

I had my fascia plicated. It hurt a great deal to do so but only for a few days, whereas the results last forever (as long as you don't gain weight). If it would help, you can post your question to plastic surgeons on RealSelf. It would help if you posted photos of your stomach, so that the surgeons can provide a better assessment and recommendation.

You really do forget about the pain. But you live wight the results every day.

Although my stomach wasn't really one of my many problem areas, my surgeon did resew my stomach muscles. For weeks I wondered what that was under my skin it felt so hard. Finally my husband told me those are your muscles! I guess they were missing for so long I forgot what it felt like to have them in my lower stomach. Just this week I ate something that didn't agree with me and it gave me bad gas, I could fill mystomach swelling only this time it didn't stick out like it would have in the past. I must say it was a very weird feeling....I felt like I was going to pop but you couldn't tell!!!

How lonv did anyone have to dleep in a recl I ner after TT ???

Personally I never did, I spent 4 nights in a hospital bed and then slept in a regular bed.