Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Juarez or Tijuana?

I will be traveling alone and my family is not thrilled about me going to Mexico to be sleeved. I'm was leaning towards Juarez with Dr. Rod. I will be flying from Pensacola to El Paso. Any help is appreciated.

Edited by brandy75

Juarez is safer than it was but it scares me. Although, with Dr. Rod you never leave the hospital. TJ sounds like a better environment as evidenced by the many positive reviews on this site. For you, the travel is certainly easier to Juarez.

Thanks, Rocky

Belite, said the hospital is 15 mins from the boarder. Haven't found a lot on getting sleeved in Juarez.

I went to TJ. Had a very nice experience. Felt safe the whole time. Although I wasn't alone. One girl in our group was and we just took her in with us so she wasn't alone

I lived in El Paso TX for a while and there is nothing anyone can do to make me go to Juarez, for surgery or for anything else.

Tijuana was fine. I didn't feel unsafe while I was there. I saw Hospital Angeles and it is GORGEOUS! My surgery was in a much smaller hospital but I still had a good experience.

My husband grew up in El Paso & when we got married 6 & 1/2 yrs ago we went there during our honeymoon but he wouldn't dare go across the border to Juarez due to the violence (drug cartel) if I'm not mistaken, it's one of the most dangerous cities! Just Google it. I went to Tijuana & Dr. Carlos Diaz did a wonderful job at Mi hospital & there were "many" women who came by themselves. Please reconsider going to Juarez.

I would like to add that I traveled from Alabama & flew into San Diego, CA . Just found this info:

Out of the 50 most violent cities in the world, Juárez ranked number 37 in 2013, down from the top spot six years ago, according to the Mexico City-based Security, Justice and Peace organization.

Juárez, with 1.3 million residents, reported 505 homicides, or 37.59 homicides per each 100,000 of population. It held first place in the number of homicides in the years 2008, 2009 and 2010, was second in 2011 and 19th in 2012.

TJ is looking like the better of the two. Thanks for all the advice. If you have more please share. Thanks in advance

I'm pretty comfortable traveling alone - much to my husband's dismay - and went to TJ on my own for sleeve surgery. I would not have chosen Juarez period.

I went by myself to TJ. I flew from Maine and used Dr Fernando Garcia. I felt completely safe and comfortable the entire time. The entire experience was great

Dr. Rod works in Tijuana at Angeles Hospital one week a month. That's where I plan to have him do my surgery. It adds a couple of hours to my flight time but the flights cost about the same they as they do to Juarez. Maybe you could ask which weeks he'll be in Tijuana and see if you can find a date that works for you?

I've spoken with several people who've had surgery with Dr. Rod in Juarez, and not one mentioned having any problems traveling to, staying in, or traveling from Juarez. They all had good things to say about Star Medica and the staff there. BeLiteWeight may be able to give you some patient names to contact for references and information on their experiences in Juarez.

Good luck!

I have clients who live in San Diego and travel back and forth to Tijuana each day without any problems. Some of our employees in our Otay Mesa office live in TJ and come to work each day in the states. It seems pretty calm down there.

I went to Dr Rod in Juarez 8/14 from El Paso. They drive you straight to Star Medica and walk you right up to the desk. I had a great experience and love the surgical team.

Juarez is a dangerous city with drug related violence. However - I think most of us WLS patients make unlikely drug trafficking victims. The violence is between rival cartels and not random chubby people walking laps to get gas out. :-). I think shooting breaks out on Bourbon St in NOLA about as often.

I did dress down. I did stay in the hospital. I would do it again.

I have been to TJ many times and don't feel safe walking around there, either, although I know many do.

did you have you're surgery yet ? Im going through BeLightWeight also and cant decide between juarez or Tijuana with Dr Rodriguez. How did your surgery go ? DId you end up going to Mexico ? I will be going in April. I wish we could all travel in groups lol