Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling All (Tobacco) Smokers...

OK, so I'm pretty chill with all the major life changes the surgery will bring. I'm struggling a little, emotionally, with all the pre-op medical testing and so forth (for some reason, in my mind this has begun to feel like I am being punished for something, rather than a choice I am making of my own free will), but the Big Scary Thing for me is that I have to quit smoking. Like, yesterday.

I haven't made a serious attempt at quitting smoking in 20 years. In the last two weeks, I've tried and failed twice. This coming Monday is my "Hail Mary" day; the day I HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO quit if I want this surgery and don't want to go into it a liar and put myself at risk.

I feel like I have so many issues surrounding smoking being a big part of my identity, being my main stress-reliever, the way I count time ("once I finish this project I can have a cigarette," "one more cigarette and I'll start a load of laundry,") my reward system, my motivation, my relaxation, etc. etc.

I started smoking when I was like eleven years old. How the hell am I going to do this?

I would LOVE to hear from anyone who was or is in the same boat - having to quit smoking to do this surgery. Being committed to quitting but simultaneously terrified of it.

Two more days to smoke....

@@YellowWallpaper I'm sorry you have to go through this right now while faced with all the other fears ect about surgery. I quit smoking 5 months ago before I even thought about this surgery. It's not easy as you know. I don't have any super advice since I quit cold turkey after 14 years with a pack a day habit. I still don't know exactly how I did it, it takes a lot of willpower and a complete mind change. I know one of the things I did which may sound silly is I found every horrible lung cancer case, picture, documentary I could find on YouTube and I watched every detail. Some of the dying people talking made my heart hurt and it's really sad to see the suffering and devastation the family left behind goes through. So I basically freaked myself out so bad when I thought about smoking those images came to mind and I flat out refused to light one. I know that may sound weird but every bit of it can and does happen daily. Now that it's over I am so proud of myself and I still remind my family all the time how long it's been since I quit! (Oh they just never get tired of hearing that lol) You will be amazed how much better you will feel once it's over! Good luck to you!

How much do you usually smoke in a day? I quit by decreasing the number of cigarettes I smoked over a two month period. I slipped and had a cigarette last Christmas and it stalled my chance of beginning the process to get surgery. I think the medication Zyban (Wellbutrin) helped a little. I think the hardest thing is the fact that you have no reward system when you have to give up food on top of smoking. I think that is why the statistics say there is a high rate of addiction and alcoholism among many that had bariatric surgery. I've been in therapy so that I don't start going down that slippery slope. I wish you the best

of luck. Like you said, you can't lie about it to your bariatrician because it will cause problems later down the

road. Smoking interferes with your body's ability to heal after surgery. The thought that you will never get to smoke again for the rest of your life is hard to swallow. Think about all the positive things you will gain by quitting; a new, healthier life.

I quit smoking on October 1st this year. I had smoked a pack or two a day for over 12 years straight. I was prescribed Welbutren to help me quit. At first, I thought I would just suddenly stop smoking, as I didn't want to. Thankfully, I realized that the medication does work, but only after I decided to put the cigarettes down. Didn't relapse a since time after that. Been smoke free for over 5 weeks.

Exercise in place of cravings, people that will help hold you accountable, & maybe join a stop smoking support group.

Good luck, you can do it!

oh wow can I relate to this I too started young about the same age and smoked till I was 27 when my baby nephew was born and he needed to be cared for so his momma could stay in school I quit for four years and I went back to it again until 2008 it was harder the first time then the 2nd honestly after about two weeks it gets better find something to do with your hands if u have a hobby do that it will be a much easier recovery for u I really don't think u will have a desire to smoke for at least the first week after surgery besides it will delay healing and put u at more risk for blood clots if your trying to improve your health u will just be sabotaging yourself and what's the point in that? Try sugar free gum chew ice chips keep busy it really helps best wishes and good luck

I started smoking in my teens and I have been a smoker for over 20 years now. I quit for about a 2 year period around 2005, but stress and a constant nagging memory of smoking ended up pushing me back into it.

I'm exactly the same as you - smoking was a stress reliever, a reward, a break, a friend. It was a part of my life in every way. I loved smoking. I kind of still do.

I quit 4 weeks ago - as of midnight. I did three days of the patch and then went cold turkey. I did it because I want the best possible outcome for this surgery. I'm self pay, and the idea that I would spend all this money and put my body through this while smoking... I would feel like an absolute idiot if I did that to myself.

Smoking will impair the healing process, decreases circulation and can increase the chances for complications and of course it's horrible for your skin and I'd like to minimize the effects of the saggy baggy skin as I lose weight (in addition to just being a really dumb thing to do when you're trying to get healthy).

That being said, I want to smoke so very, very much - I still miss it every single day. I got an app on my phone that shows how long since I quit, how much things have improved in circulation, lung health, etc over time and read the support boards when I'm having a serious craving. I whine to my husband about how much I want a cigarette. And I am eating absolute crap since I figure better gain a bit of weight than smoke right now. And I keep telling myself after I've healed and lost some weight, maybe I'll smoke again... but it's a lie I'm telling myself to make it through today and tomorrow and next week. If I can just delay the smoking a little longer, the urge to smoke will lessen even more and I'll gain even more control over it.

I'm not saying I'll be a non smoker for the rest of my life, since for me that seems too final and might panic me back into smoking (I know how screwy my mind works). But I'll do my best to ensure that for now, and for as long as I am healing and trying to get healthy I'll refrain from smoking. I already have better taste and smell, my toes and fingers no longer get numb or cold and I can't even remember the last time I coughed or had to clear my throat and I no longer wheeze - it's amazing how quickly the body heals when you let it. And oh my dog I don't stink like stale cigarettes any more!

Research the Allen Carr method to stop smoking (it is pretty awesome and I believe the videos are on YouTube) and do whatever it takes to get your mind wrapped around the idea that smoking is poison for you going into surgery. If you have to lie to yourself (like I'm doing), use props (apps, e-cigs with the vapor only/no nicotine, I used straws and pens and pencils cut down to cig size to carry in my hand) and eat candy or ice or chew gum like there's no tomorrow - do it. It is for the absolute best and you'll be so happy with yourself!

Oh - and check out the website whyquit.com - I read tons of articles on there and every sad case I could so that it bolstered my resolve to quit. There is absolutely no benefits to smoking. It is the only thing out there that if used as intended, will cripple and then kill you.

Edited by FrankiesGirl

I did all my testing and the last thing to was quit smoking. I went to my physician and she gave me a prescription for Wellbutrin. I started it 10 days before my quit date. I smoked at least a pack a day for over 20 years. On 10/6/14 was my quit date. I haven't smoked since. The Wellbutrin must help a ton because I didn't have the insane cravings and withdrawal like I had when I tried to quit before. 2 weeks later I had my tobacco test and passed. Just got my approval and surgery date for 12/12/14. Still waiting for that super miracle where breathing and life all around is so much better without smoking. Not happening. I enjoyed smoking. I never thought I could quit. I don't plan on smoking again, mostly because of my kids. I'm so happy I had the surgery as a huge motivator to quit. You can do this! It's not easy. The reward at the end is huge!

Going thru this right now! PIA Today is my last day of smoking, will use gum after this! then done!! GOD HELP ME! Lol

I LOVE smoking but why go thru all this? I don't want to look skinny in a casket, I want to live skinny!

My surgeon required that I quit smoking or she would cancel the surgery. And it makes absolute sense to quit. If I really am having the surgery because I'm concerned about my health, how could I possibly justify continuing to smoke?

I had switched to an electronic ciggie a couple years before, but I was still smoking about 1/2 a pack of analogs a day. So I quit the analogs, then decreased the nicotine on the eciggie to zero over 3 weeks. My surgeon didn't want me having any nicotine even from the eciggie. I actually took home nicotine tests to make sure I was nicotine free. That was SO reassuring. Some surgeons DO test for nicotine byproducts before surgery and will cancel the surgery if it's in your system.

It was so easy to quite I couldn't believe it. I had tried many times over 20 years to quit, but I told myself if I truly want this surgery and care about my health, then I will quit. And I did. I haven't had an analog ciggie in about 8 months. My surgery recovery was stellar and I know I owe much of that to quitting smoking.

I do take a puff of my eciggie a few times a day if I get stressed, but I use nicotine free ejuice, so it's really just to take care of the oral habit.

I've made many lifestyle changes this year, but I worked them in slowly over months. Too much change too fast can be difficult, but you have to keep your eye on the prize and that prize is your life!

Now, just 8 months after quitting, I can't imagine how I was a slave to the analog ciggies for so long. My sense of smell is better, my clothes smell better, my car smells great, I don't have to go outside in the heat or cold to smoke, no more coughs, cardio is fantastic, I've saved THOUSANDS of dollars...and it's increased my sense of self in ways I wish I could share with everyone. It's so life-affirming.

Best of luck to you and hope your transition from smoking is an easy one!

Edited by AlwaysVegas

I was a pack a day smoker and quit a long time before surgery. I miss smoking everyday despite being 5 years out. There is no easy way. The coping skills you learn while quitting come in handy post surgery. Pay attention to what your body and mind do when in panic so you recognize the demon and have the proper weaponry to fight with.

I was a pack a day smoker and quit a long time before surgery. I miss smoking everyday despite being 5 years out. There is no easy way. The coping skills you learn while quitting come in handy post surgery. Pay attention to what your body and mind do when in panic so you recognize the demon and have the proper weaponry to fight with.

These are excellent points! Having quit recently I can easily tell the difference between a physical craving and a mental craving. That goes hand-in-hand with physical hunger vs head hunger.