Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protien powder vs protein ready shakes?

I have read so many forums but cant decide which is better. I thought I was set on Premier Protein ready shakes bc it contains 80 grams per 16oz...does anyone know of a powder that can beat that? I want the most Protein I can fit in one shake especially post op.....im 3 weeks out n would appreciate any suggestions.

I would be cautious about consuming so much Protein at one time. I don't think your body will absorb that much at once and you might be just wasting calories. I would stick to about 25-30 grams per shake, Just my opinion. I would also stick to a whey Protein. I usually get some type of whey isolate Protein Powder. I switched to a powder so I can add it to different foods. I pretty much just use it now in sugar free pudding. I will add about 3 scoops to instant sugar free pudding mix and divide it into about 5 or 6 meals with about 20 grams of protein. I think there is a bit more variety with powders as well.

I don't think you can go wrong with either as long as you are getting the correct form of protein.

Best of luck!!!

I also searched for a shake with the most Protein. It is hard to find another Protein Shake that can beat 80 grams per 12 ounces. Isopure might come close to that, which is what I drink. You also have to keep in mind the amount of calories, fat, carbs, and the kind of Protein. Isopure also has added Vitamins and minerals, which something you can't find in other Protein drinks.

The previous post was correct, your body cannot metabolize a large amount of protein at one time (anything more than 25 grams at once is too much). However, most people forget that it is almost impossible to gulp that fast after surgery. A 12-16 ounce Protein Drink will take you over an hour to drink after surgery. Most people drink 1 ounce every 5-8 minutes. At that rate, you are slowly digesting and metabolizing the protein. So, it is perfectly okay to have a 12-16 ounce Protein Drink with 50-75 grams of protein as long as you are drinking it slowly like everyone is advised to after surgery.

well if you like I taste test a lot of ready made and mixes and drinks on my blog in video form, fun to watch. almost all the ready shakes I think are way past disgusting A few Isopure flavors In the fruit punch type are good, but I know in my guide I have from my surgeon, im to drink no more than 4 oz of liquid at one continuous time, so 16oz bottle will not work. . make sure youre allowed to have that much liquid. and anyone not taking just whey isolate is doing this very very wrong, unless you have a specific form of intolerance. Anyway if you like my blog with the taste tests is at

http://cuttingthefatwithaknife.blogspot.com

keep the fight going. we can all do this!

Thanks guys...im going try this Isopure, where are you getting this from? Post op are u drinking it straight or mixed with something else?

You can get Isopure from GNC. I only drank it post op because I no longer liked thick chocolates shakes. I just bought two more three pound jugs of Isopure powder online at puritan.com It was actually 55% less than GNC and they ship it for free. I wouldn't buy too much of it, many people don't like it. You mix it with Water and it is translucent like kool-aid. GNC let's you return Protein Powder even if it is opened.

I have read so many forums but cant decide which is better. I thought I was set on Premier Protein ready shakes bc it contains 80 grams per 16oz...does anyone know of a powder that can beat that? I want the most Protein I can fit in one shake especially post op.....im 3 weeks out n would appreciate any suggestions.

Get a variety. I had powder, premade and clear liquid that I would add to tea. I got bored of the thick shakes and having the clear liquid was a nice change of pace.

Edited by Blerdgirl

I findi find ithe best bang for

Edited by judye

I use Reset . Good tasting , good value , good taste