Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight tracking using My Fitness Pal

Hello everyone. I am now down almost 200 pounds and everyone tells me that I am too thin. I feel great as a matter of fact I can't remember when I felt better than right now. When I enter my food using My Fitness Pal, I almost always get a warning that I haven't eaten enough food for the day. I know I have to eat enough to keep me well nuorished. I am averaging about 1200 to 1500 calories a day. Are you folks doing about the same?

Let me know how your doing and what your calorie intake is.

BTW I am 16 months post op.

Thanks everyone, Mark

I also use MyFitnessPal and I average an intake between 1000-1200 calories most days, with the occassional day hitting 1400 calories. When I add in exercise I am usually under my daily suggestion of 1200 calories. I just don't "complete" my daily diary anymore so it doesn't nag me about not eating enough.

I'm also a woman, so the settings are different for me and how much I should eat. I would think 1500 calories though should be within an acceptable range for a guy. Have you updated your weight in the settings, as well as your activity level? I'm not sure if that will help since I've been using the app since the start and 1200 calories has always been my daily goal, but maybe it calculates differently for men.

I think 1200 calories is the lowest for women. I don't know what it is for men I think it is 1500?

I use MFP and had been using it prior to surgery. For women it's 1000 - 1200 recommended calories. Since I'm only 6 weeks post op it has a fit pretty regularly. I just ignore it but I do close out each days diary.

How do you use this tool with the sleeve? I only eat a bit or two.

I use it as I regularly would. Just keep in mind that when you close out for the day it will give you an error message that says:

"

Based on your total calories consumed today, you are likely not eating enough

For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men.

Even during weight loss, it's important to meet your body's basic nutrient and energy needs. Over time, not eating enough can lead to nutrient deficiencies, unpleasant side effects & other serious health problems.

To safely meet your goals:

• Focus on consuming nutrient-rich foods and beverages
  • Check your progress in MyFitnessPal throughout the day
  • Add nutritious Snacks between meals as needed"

My nutritionist wants me to take in between 600-800 calories, so I use this to make sure I'm getting that. I also watch my sugar, carbs and sodium. So I have it set to show that as well. Other than that I just record what I eat. I'm at 8 weeks so I'm eating a bit more but I resumed using this the first week I was discharged because it was helpful in tracking my 3 meals, 2 Snacks.< /p>

Yep. I take pride in seeing that message!

Its telling me the same, but my average is about 80 calories

Im just 3 weeks post op, I can't really tolerate more food

Am I gonna get sick?

How are you only getting 80 calories in ? One Protein drink should have more calories than that?

I have been using fitbit to track my food and exercise but now I just went back to MFP (today actually) since I can scan bar codes and sync with fit bit. I customized my goals to 1000 calories per day - 15 % carbs 50% Protein 35% fat. My active lever is set to: very active. When I enter my exercise I am almost at net zero calories for the day. I do think I need to increase my intake so I added an afternoon Protein shake. Even with the shake I still will usually only average about 1000 calories per day. Maybe I just wont track my exercise. I know I'm exercising and my fitbit is still tracking my steps

I love Mar it keeps me on track.

How many calories a day does your doctor want you eating? I'm still at 600-800 so I just ignore the alert. I log everything , exercise included.