Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The things I miss about being fat!

So we all talked about how great it is being skinnier and healthier, or at least being on the way to a healthier life. We all know the benefits and at the end of the day we just want to be healthy.
I am very happy I decided to get the RNY. I am losing steadily and I enjoy the journey, I cherish every pound I lose, and I would do it all over again in a New York Minute!
However, and I know it will sound strange, sometimes I miss my fat... and a few things that came with it.
1. food. I miss food. Yes, I know it was what broke me, and I am better off now, but I still miss eating large quantities. I miss big bowls of pastas and pizzas and rice, and I miss how I used to spend my time with my food. How sad is that...
2. I miss the qushion. Yes, I hate my hip bone when I am trying to sleep on my side. I hate my knees pressing together when I am trying to sleep on my side. (You probably know by now, I am a side sleeper :D ) I hate how I wear belts in my low rise jeans and they hurt my hip bone, and its sore for days...I hate how I can not sit on a hard surface for more than an hour or I feel like my back will break...
3. I miss being invisible. Yes, now hear me out. We all think we stand out because of our size, and yes we do, but nobody wants to look at as when we are fat. People would just look through us, like we are not even there. It's kind of comforting. Now that I lost over 70 pounds turns out there was this fine lady under all the fat, and I am getting male attention BIG TIME. It bothers me. I feel like saying "what the hell are you looking at???" But I know they are all up in my goodies, so no point to ask ;-) Sometimes I feel like I wanna hide...

4. I miss my tight body. Yes, it was a fat body, but I was not soft and saggy, I was firm and I used to have beautiful skin. Now I am wrinkly and it is about to get even worst as I still have 50lbs to lose :P

Do you miss anything about your fatness? :) Or am I alone and truly crazy???

Green*eyed*girl, you are not crazy!!!! I agree with you on a lot of this!!! The food, I miss oh so much, not so much the big bowls of Pasta, but spanish rice, and just plain eating without having to remember to eat carefully or your going to have issues? I don't wear low rise jeans cause I don't like how they feel, but I have to wear a belt with all my jeans even my skinny jeans, or else I am pulling at my jeans all day cause they feel like they are falling down all the time? Also I am a side sleeper too so I know what you mean about not being able to sleep good on your side so now I have basically converted to a back sleeper? The other thing I have found is that yes I have really bad knees(prior to having all this weight come off) but I now have really bad lower back problems where when I stand for too long my back is killing me for 2 days? I don't know what it is??? I have since surgery lost 96lbs and I am very happy about it, but then again, I too am getting way too much attention from the opposite sex, and although it feels good, it also doesn't feel good. I have a fantastic fiance that I love to death and back and I wouldn't EVER do anything to jeopardize what we have but it just feels weird, plus my son was playing football up till recently and there was a guy there that actually my fiance works with, and he was always hanging out with me and texting me and acting like he liked me and I was always trying to be polite but not give off the wrong impression!!! So I am sort of glad football is over now, even though I do miss it. This is all new to me as I haven't ever in my adult life been this thin, I haven't even weight this little since before I was in high school? So having all this going on is a little hard to get a grip of, but I do love the attention I get from my fiance and I feel so much more comfortable in my skin around him, and thats all that matters to me. It is hard to get past all this but you will do great!!! I think we all figure this out in our own way. Good luck!!!

@@pupichupi, you soooo get this!!! We are so alike it's amazing!

I had knee problems too prior to surgery, now my back is bothering me, well, I am starting to work out from this month to strengthen my core muscles in hopes to ease the pain.

I converted to back sleeping too!!! I do not like it :) I am lost, I miss my fat sleep :D

And I have an amazing fiancee too, and in no way I would ever even think about any other man, so this attention is really uncalled for. The stares, the comments, just please stop :D

Yes, we get this, I am so happy to be healthier, but its a strange journey for sure :)

It is a strange journey, but I have to say I wouldn't trade it for the world, and my fiance actually likes it when guys look at me, lol??? he says it makes him feel good cause I am all his??? He is a hot mess!!! The only attention I like is when I haven't seen someone in a really long time and they see me for the first time now and they can't believe the weight I have lost. Like my dad hasn't seen me since like omg, around my surgery time? So no I weight 96lbs lighter and he won't even recognize me? Also alot of my family that is coming to my wedding in june, they are all going to be floored when they see me in person??? lol I like that, but the man attention only my man thanks!!! I have found that sleeping on my back hasn't been so bad, so I am ok with it for now. I hope that it stays that way!!!

I'm so glad I'm not alone in this! Those things you mentioned, I miss too

My butt is getting jiggly. I hate that. My boobs.... Ugh don't get me started. I have a HUGE butt. But it's always been nice and firm. Now it's getting jiggly. My trainer started me on squats and lunges to help that but it still isn't gonna ever be right. Lol and my boobs. Gone. Just gonna buy me some when this is all over! Hahaha

Edited by kikicoates78

LMAO @@kikicoates78 I feel you on both of your issues, I lost my boobs too and my butt is saggy and flappy??? LOL I want to do the same buy some boobs and have a butt job!!!

I am still very new to this journey and I am only down about 40 pounds so far but I already miss just being "me". I know that eventually this will wear off since right now the weight loss is drawing peoples attention, but I miss walking into a room and not having everyone stare. The other day I went to work to drop off a tray of Christmas treats. Nobody has seen me since November 14th since I can't return for a long time because my job is very physically strenuous. When I walked in someone whistled at me. I felt myself turn red. I don't like that kind of attention, it embarrasses me. Now I am dreading returning to work as I don't want all the attention and questions that will ensue. And I miss being able to wake up in the middle of the night thirsty to chug a glass of Water and go back to sleep satiated. My thirst is NEVER quenched so if I stayed up until I was satisfied, I would be up all night long. No regrets, just stuff that I miss.

@@Gingerisgreat, the drinking and getting satisfied thing will work itself out, but as for the stares and the omg you look so good kind of things that are happening, I know exactly how you feel. I have the same thing happen to me but I am now down 100 lbs and I have seen people for the first time recently and their mouth falls to the floor? lol, it's does make me feel weird, but I have gotten over all that, and as for the questions when people ask, just tell them the truth? I do it all the time, I was very nervous about telling people the truth at first too, but now if someone says how did you do it how did you loose all this weight, I just tell them cause I am proud of what I have accomplished and proud of myself for going through all that I had to go through to do this for me, and I don't care what they all think if they think I took the easy route to loose the weight or what, I do not care anymore cause this was definitely not the easy route, this is just as hard if not harder than doing it naturally. Be proud of you and what your accomplishing in your life the rest will work its way through!!!

@@pupichupi THANK YOU SO MUCH for those words of encouragement!!! I have not really been "secretive" that I was having this procedure done. I did share with a few people what I was doing but prior to surgery I was VERY selective about whom I told for one very specific reason. I did not need all of the stories....."I knew someone who had that and she developed a blood clot"....."my cousin did that and now looks horrible because of malnutrition"......"you will lose all of your hair!!!" You get the idea. I am a medical professional and i am WELL aware of all of the risks, as are all of my coworkers but I didn't need anyone discouraging me. I knew if i didn't do it, I would one day be diabetic, and it would also mean NO change whatsoever of my husband and I making the decision to have a child together (he has one and I have one, but none together and we both had negative experiences with having our firsts so we would like to make an Educated and Heartfelt decision as to whether or not to have one together someday and enjoy the experience). I plan to really make it known what I did to TAKE CHARGE of my health, my life, my future, my families future, and to possibly inspire and help educate others who are investigating this option!!!! My only concern with it is that for me it was not a decision of vanity......I did not do this to look better. I was always very happy with my appearance, I have always taken good care of myself. I always wear makeup, dress up, and do things with my hair. My husband loves me with all his heart, and has never been able to keep his hands off me NO MATTER what my size is. I can already tell that I am going to have to bite my tongue to not say things to the men that will make comments in the future but didn't in the past. Does this make any sense?

I guess the attention thing just infuriates me because nothing has changed about WHO I am......I am the same person that I always was, just with less health problems. But I suppose only people that have done this will understand how that feels. On a side note about the comment "EASY WAY OUT"....my husband has been by my side, held my hand, watched me struggle a few days, dried my tears, tried EVERY single shake that I make, and walked the track with me as I exercise....and he says "If anyone says that to you, you tell me because I am kicking them in the NUTS!!!!! This is NOT the easy way out!"

@Gingerisgreat...AMEN!!! I have a wonderful husband that sounds just like yours and he feels the same way as what you just described. He loved me before and loves me just the same now. He is my biggest supporter!!! I agree with you I am the exact same person I was a year ago before I had the surgery. I got my surgery done in March of 2014 and so I haven't quite hit my year yet, but it's coming up quick and I know that, but I don't even care I am happy with how I am loosing and how I am doing in my progress, and I did the same as you not tell a whole lot of people before because I didn't want the stories but I also didn't want people trying to talk me out of it too. Like I knew this is what I needed to do to make me a healthier person. I was also pre-diabetic and I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my 2nd child and even had to take insulin, and diabetes does run in my family so that was always a big scare of mine, and I didn't want to sink that low, and so I did this for me. I did this for my health not to change how I looked cause to me I still look the same, Just a little smaller, but the biggest difference is my health now is so much better, I had many more health issues other than the diabetes and that was what led me to finally just take the jump to doing this and I do not regret one minute of getting this surgery. I have had plenty of obstacles and hurdles to get over post surgery even pre surgery that it's made me appreciate all the weight I have lost to get my health back. So I wouldn't change it for the world. Thanks for the talk and It really helps talking to people that know exactly or very similar to what I am going through. Well have a great holiday and new year!!!

I don't regret WLS at all. However, I miss eating and drinking at the same time. I miss clothes that fit regardless of a 5 lbs weight swing/bloating. Now I have go up a clothing size every time I get my period. I miss not obsessing about my body and food. Now it's all I think about, before I never gave it a second thought.

@@kikicoates78, I feel ya lol. That's why I'm purchasing new ones late 2016

Ok, I have an other one!

When I was 80 pounds heavier I was also stronger. I had that massive strength that only a big body can have. Back then I never realized how strong I am, but now that I lost 80 pounds I feel the difference. Like it is super easy to tip me out of balance, or on a windy day I really have to fight the wind not to push me around. I could easily carry the groceries, not anymore. Lifting heavy things was a piece of cake, now I can not even move those things....

LOL I agree with the above statements the only thing that I miss is not being able to sleep on my side because i was a side sleeper but now a back sleeper, but I recently bought a body pillow and now can sleep on my side again. The comments and stares you are going to get, it is amazing how with this weight lost I have men opening up doors for me and going out of their way to be nice but I agree with all the statements above I have been happily married for 20 years and he loves me unconditionally and I would not changes him for anything we are both lucky.