Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You Can't See it Until You Go Thru to the Other Side

Hey everyone - still doing well and taking time to reflect each day on the wonderful gift I have been given.

My latest musing - I realized the other day that without this surgery I could have never lost weight (and kept it off) on my own prior to this surgery. Now, I am not saying that surgery is ALWAYS the answer and that NO ONE can lose weight without it. I am saying that for me, I know now that there would have been no way I could have been successful, which is why I have been overweight for the majority of my life.

But I couldn't SEE that until I got on the other side of the fence, so to speak. I had nothing to compare my experience to because I had been fat for most of my life - the way I saw food was skewed. Now, I have a "before" and an "after". It's just another realization that this was the right thing to do.

One of the things I did not expect was to feel "normal" so soon after surgery. This means I no longer have to "tip-toe" around my stomach (although there are some things I do not eat like donuts, soda and steak). I definitely feel full after eating a certain amount but because my stomach tolerates almost everything, it means it is very easy to eat too many calories. I realized the other day that chocolate chip Cookies (really, Cookies of any type I imagine) go down way too easily. So this means that I have a hard time saying no. This further means I don't have them in my house because I know I will eat them if I do. And I am not sorry about that in the least, but it was something I had to recognize.

What is gone is the resentment of "I can't have this or that" or the strong cravings. The feeling that yet another attempt to lose weight will likely fail is gone too - I just eat as healthy as I can each day and exercise. I have been losing about 2 pounds per week pretty steadily, and I am okay with that. I don't worry anymore if I will be fat forever - I know it will be gone eventually and it will never come back. It gives me a sense of peace that I have never before had. I've got leftover packets of Protein shakes from past liquid diets. I keep them in case I need a quick meal because they actually taste pretty good. But knowing I don't have to LIVE on them ever again is priceless.

Best wishes and continued good health to all, whether pre or post surgery!

Thank you for posting this. I am scheduled for surgery 11/18 and this really helped me to see that its all worth it and that you realize everything works out after you get thru all the hard stuff.. Liquid Protein diets! LOL. I start tomorrow with that .. wish me luck. I'm scared!

Thank you for posting this. I am scheduled for surgery 11/18 and this really helped me to see that its all worth it and that you realize everything works out after you get thru all the hard stuff.. liquid Protein diets! LOL. I start tomorrow with that .. wish me luck. I'm scared!

BEST of luck to you! The liquid diet is a little hard, but I know you can do it!

I had to go a whole weekend with nothing but Water and gatorade directly before my surgery and I didn't think I could go two whole days eating nothing - but I did and you will too when the time comes.

@HaddockseEyes. Thank you for sharing, it helps to hear such positive feedback. I'm in my second stall at 7 weeks post-op n it has been over 2weeks. I understand the physiology of a stall now, but am frustrated non the less.

What are you doing to loose 2lbs a week consistently ?

Ironically , my 2nd stall began when I joined a gym and started working out regularly . I am tracking everything I eat and drink and hit between 650-800 calories a day and 60-80 grams of Protein.

Any input you have is welcomed????

Makes sense to me -- you join a gym, work out, build muscles (they weigh considerably) and stop losing weight. BUT ONLY TEMPORARILY!

The muscles you're building now will burn up more calories to maintain them (as you continue to work out). So your long-term benefits from building these muscles will be more weight loss in the future.

The scales stalling now is ONLY temporary.

Make sense?

Congrats on getting into a bona fide workout routine, btw. :)

@HaddockseEyes. Thank you for sharing, it helps to hear such positive feedback. I'm in my second stall at 7 weeks post-op n it has been over 2weeks. I understand the physiology of a stall now, but am frustrated non the less.

What are you doing to loose 2lbs a week consistently ?

Ironically , my 2nd stall began when I joined a gym and started working out regularly . I am tracking everything I eat and drink and hit between 650-800 calories a day and 60-80 grams of Protein.

Any input you have is welcomed

Hi Bella!

Stalls are no fun! Hope the info I give you helps, even a little bit.

I started working out about 6 weeks after surgery. I eat about 1000 calories a day because my nutritionist said that if I didn't, I would have little hope of building any amount of muscle. And I really want that muscle! Eventually I will have to go up in the calorie department to really see significant muscle mass gains, but I am reluctant to do so without a lot of hand-holding from my nutritionist. She said she would be there to guide me along, so that's good! (edit: I work out three to five days per week because it is almost a guarantee that something will come up at least once per week that keeps me from going to the gym. I lift three times per week but I superset, or giant set to also have a cardio effect. The days I don't lift I do cardio on the elliptical for 30 minutes. I don't go to the gym on the weekend but i try to stay busy around the property or the house because there is so much to be done!)

I love my Protein shakes - I drink two a day. I drink one in the early afternoon (anywhere from 1:00 t0 3:00 pm) and then the other one I drink right after I am finished lifting weights - like as soon as I get to my car. The shakes usually have about 20 to 25 grams of Protein in them. I add 1/2 cup skim milk to each shake (so a full cup per day) and then the other 4 ounces per shake is plain Water. I love my Muscle Milk100 calories chocolate Protein Shake - best taste I have had yet!

The rest of the day I eat Lean Cuisines, Healthy Choice dinners (and the like) and other things like chicken breast, hard boiled eggs, baby bel gouda cheese with whole wheat crackers, tuna with low fat mayo, etc. I love eating steel cut oatmeal with some non-fat milk, cinnamon and Splenda in the morning (I make it in my crock pot the night before and it last me days). Nice on a cold morning! I always try to have an eye towards protien when I make my lunches for work. I don't eat a lot of bread, but I do eat it maybe once or twice per week. I eat anywhere from 90-130 carbs per day, depending on what I eat.

I have had some Cookies and candy more than I should have very recently..and I am thinking maybe even though I can tolerate them, I really don't want to eat that kind of stuff anymore, even occasionally. It takes up room in my stomach that could be occupied by real, high quality clean Proteins and veggie carbs. I think I might not hit my goal of a 2 pounds weight loss this week because of this, but I will know tomorrow, as I weigh in every Saturday. However, tomorrow I will start also taking my measurements as well because if I am going to really try and build muscle over the next year, I may see stalls in the scale but reductions in overall measurements.

Edited by HaddocksEyes

@@HaddocksEyes thank for the info. I upped my calories to 900-1000 and having Protien drinks everyday now. I weigh in on Friday and hope this change will shake my system a bit and I'll loose this stall!

@@HaddocksEyes thank for the info. I upped my calories to 900-1000 and having Protien drinks everyday now. I weigh in on Friday and hope this change will shake my system a bit and I'll loose this stall!

Please let me know how you are doing! I am totally rooting for you. :)

I stalled earlier on and was told to try to keep my calories around 1,000 a day,to help with weight loss.

Thank you for posting this. I am scheduled for surgery 11/18 and this really helped me to see that its all worth it and that you realize everything works out after you get thru all the hard stuff.. liquid Protein diets! LOL. I start tomorrow with that .. wish me luck. I'm scared!

I'm having mine done 11/18 too! Almost here!

I was glad to see the responses to Bella's post. I will be 2 wks out tomorrow and have stayed the same weight for 3 days. I try to drink 64 oz of fluids and 50-80 oz Protein. While I know this is unrealistic --I wonder if this is really going to work. I have been walking a mile most days this week. I know I just need to keep following my doctor's program and I will see progress.

I was glad to see the responses to Bella's post. I will be 2 wks out tomorrow and have stayed the same weight for 3 days. I try to drink 64 oz of fluids and 50-80 oz Protein. While I know this is unrealistic --I wonder if this is really going to work. I have been walking a mile most days this week. I know I just need to keep following my doctor's program and I will see progress.

Sounds like you are going through a stall. So normal, so be heartened.

I went through it at 3 weeks out and it lasted about 2 to 2 and a half weeks. Believe me when I say this WILL work for you. Chin up!! :)

Update, I just experienced the longest stall on record I think... Lol. And this is not one record I want to win! My stall lasted about 5 weeks, I tried everything everyone recommended, but I guess my body just wasn't ready????

Well, it finally broke and I dropped 7-8 lbs in a flash and am now in Onederland ????

Good luck to all I need help support to get back on track I am down 65lbs but fine myself going back to old habits any idea on what to do

Congrats on a great weight loss!!! Are you using a food tracking app? I use My Fitness Pal. It def keeps me focused. I also took a few selfie's of my full body. Looking at myself in a pic is motivating, the mirror everyday just doesn't have the same effect !! I also bought a Vivofit, on the recommendation of a fellow sleeved. It track steps. It make me conscious of my movement throughout the day and helps me to move, even when I don't want to...lol ????