Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All.

My name is Marie, and I'm from South UK.

I was wondering, does one have to get fills with the company that provides the banding- or is filling pretty simple and any filling doctor can fill any band.

I ask this because I'd prefer to use a filling doctor closer to where I live, if it is possible, as the nearest one recommended to me is in London (about an 1 to 2 hours away) and as it's in London, it's going to cost £90 per fill.

I have seen that in other parts of UK its for £75, but all other filling docs recommended to me are 3+ hours away.

If it is possible to be filled by someone outside of the company (I'm going with Surgery Abroad international), then does anyone know of a filling doctor I can get in contact with in South UK, for example Southampton or Portsmouth or West Sussex.

Thanks a bunch! :)

Hello, I am thinking of having surgery abroad also, can you tell me where and how much it will be for you. I am not sure but I have heard you can have fills in Birmingham for 75. It seems that you can probably get fills in most big cities. Thanks, Lucy

I believe that Shaw Somers is happy to provide fills for patients who have had surgery in other areas... google him for his contact details. He also provides fills for NHS patients who are unable to get fills as they need them (he charges for this of course!) I believe he is West Sussex!

Hope this helps

Sharon Bates and the Avon Obesity service also provide aftercare for patients who had their band fitted abroad, they are based in Bristol and provide my aftercare.

Hx

I believe that Shaw Somers is happy to provide fills for patients who have had surgery in other areas... google him for his contact details. He also provides fills for NHS patients who are unable to get fills as they need them (he charges for this of course!) I believe he is West Sussex!

Hope this helps

Sharon Bates and the Avon Obesity service also provide aftercare for patients who had their band fitted abroad, they are based in Bristol and provide my aftercare.

Hx

Thanks so much for your help! :)

hi as ya can see from my signature i had surgery abroad. it cost me 4000 euro so depending on the exchange rate it works out loads cheaper than the uk. Also there are no nasty superbugs lurking whcih is the main reason i chose not to have it in the uk. the surgeon i chose is also very experienced and lectures all over the world and also teaches bariatric surgeons banding techniques. If ya want any info just pm me . im not on commission just had a very good experience with a superb surgeon

Tracey xx

I got intouch with Shaw Somers and this is what he replied:

I am prepared to do fills for banded patients as follow:

Initial consult and first fill £165, subsequent fills £95

I can see patients in London 0207 636 9804 or Chichester 01243 831655

I can arrange Xray fills if necessary - £265

You can find cheaper fills, but the most important part of having a

Lap Band is the advice and aftercare - they do not sell you this in

Belgium.

Yours sincerely

Shaw Somers

It's true that some doctors in Belgium do not tell you that the most important thing is the aftercare but most do.... the key to success with the band is really what happens afterwards.

I might also add that my transfer of care to Avon Obesity Service in Bristol cost me.....

Initial consult £140, Xray fill £261, Fill without x ray £130, so the price for my first fill under xray and initial consult came to £401!!! a bit more than Shaw Somers, but as I'm nowhere near him, I will live with this!

Hello

I live in kent and am having my band done at bupa in southampton on the 28th June its costing £5750,00 inc 2 fills.

There was lots of ladies and men there having there fills done, and it was gerat hearing their stories. 2 of the ladies had had their surgery in belgium and both agreed it was the worst thing they done.

They said they went to save money, but there was no after care and they have had a lot of problems, which they are now having to pay for, and would have been better of staying in the uk.

I know ever case is different. I was going to go with the hospital group which is a big name but Bupa was cheaper, my Doctor also said to me, go with someone with a name, as they have more to lose if things go wrong.

Godd luck anyway let me know how you get on. ;)

I had my band fitted in Bruge and my after care has been really good but in London. I have had 5 fills so far at £90 a time and lost 3st. I was trying to find someone nearer to do the fills, and Shaw Somers would be nearer for me as he does them in Chichester. I didn't really explain my position and I spose he assumes I have no after care.

Hi,

I was banded in Belgium (with no problems at all and only £3,100) and when I came back I went to see my GP and she has made referrals for aftercare to the NHS Dietician and my nearest NHS Bariatric Unit which is in Chichester, which is where Dr Shaw Somers also works. Don't rule out the NHS and what they can provide for you.

Tazza your after care will be or should be done in London with Dr Focquet and he charge's £60 for his fills. You should receive an appointment saying when you will be required to have your first appointment. I went to my doctor and she advised me to have my first fill with the people I had the band fitted with, before making arrangements to find another source.

Although my band was fitted by Dr Dillimans and my after care is in Barnes London, Dr Focquet said he would do my fills but it still means getting to London. Barnes is easy to get to but they only do the fills on a Saturday. I could at first make an appointment for any Saturday but they have change it to every other Saturday and are now more full so I now have to book about 4wks in advance to get the required day and if you have to cancel it ends up being about 2month for an appointment.

I forgot to say, because I paid for my band the NHS will do the fills but take forever to give you an appointment and want between £150 - £300 to do the fills.

If anyone is stuck for a fill, I have just received a mail from the obesity care centre who I went through and in their mail it stated the following:

If you know other patients who look for after care service (by WLS or personal experiences) please hand over our details to them.

The more patients, the quicker we can start at other locations.

Weight loss and gastric band

Different than other restrictive surgery, weight loss with the gastric band depends on your own dedication and the fills (or adjustments).

For good weight loss, regular fills and check-ups are needed, a minimum of 4-5 fills in the first year and even after 2 years fills could be considered. If you have too little restriction or no restriction at all after 3 fills (minimum input over 5ml) we urgently request you to contact Jaap Suyk for advise about fills under x-ray and nutrition guidelines at j.suyk@obesitycare.co.uk.

Don't wait too long.

I had my op in France and whilst it was cheaper in the first instance, the after care is costly as I keep having to travel back and forth. However for fills under x-ray, it cost €202 but the €150 cost of the x-ray is refunded fully of you claim on your E111.

It was a good solution for me as I was scared about the bugs lurking in hospitals here (as a lot others seem to be!) and I get to visit my family often when I go for my check ups.

You have to weigh the odds!

I got intouch with Shaw Somers and this is what he replied:

I am prepared to do fills for banded patients as follow:

Initial consult and first fill £165, subsequent fills £95

I can see patients in London 0207 636 9804 or Chichester 01243 831655

I can arrange Xray fills if necessary - £265

You can find cheaper fills, but the most important part of having a

Lap Band is the advice and aftercare - they do not sell you this in

Belgium.

Yours sincerely

Shaw Somers

Hi Heresdeb,

Thks for the above info. Im trying to get a consultation with Shaw Somers. I think he is great after watching him on Fat Doctor. Im already filled to the max yet after losing near 2stone, I put on another 1/2 stone, and now my weight have stop totally. But I suffers from an underactive thyroid so I wonder it thats the reason I cant lose weight despite being banded so tight. So I want someone to do an xray check on me to see my port is still working. I was banded in Belgium. I wont fault them cos the operation went well, but aftercare is abit lacking and dissapointing.