Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yes it is. I am used to working outside the home full time. Now that I am feeling better, I can't wait to go back. I can't take this house anymore and we are trying to save money just in case I my surgeon won't let me go back when I need to go back,so I just clean the house and watch tv. It's freezing outside and my entire family is recovering from colds. We live in the middle of no where and I'm starting to go stir crazy! Everyone at work is texting me with " hope your enjoying your vacation". Not!

What are the signs and symptoms of a leak just for my own personal knowledge...

Well I do appreciate recycled logic. And it is true we can worry about things that may never happen to us. I had a leak 6 days after surgery. And then again 18 months after surgery. I am in contact with a lady who had one 8 months after surgery and so I know it can happen. Rare but happens. Look after your sleeve. Take care to do as your surgeon advises. You will lesson the chances okay! I was one in thousands that have had these kinds of complications. So most likely you will not have them...:)

As I said these are rare, no extremely rare as the time passes by. But it is not to say it can't happen. It can and it is one more thing that is never mentioned when you are in for your pre appointments.

I am rare in having one 18 months out and so is my friend.

how did you know you were having a leak??

Which time the first time or the second time? :)

Which time the first time or the second time? :)

Both would satisfy my need for the info.

The first time I had no clue what was happening to me. Most people realize right away what is going wrong. They just feel lousy and have a temperature. Mine spiked to 104 and I was in so much pain I was no longer thinking straight. My daughter came to visit and noticed that I looked grey. I had no clue if I was just having a hard time taking in liquids or that I just was being difficult in dealing with handling liquids.< /p>

Most people know something is wrong right away. They spike in temperature and their stomach does not feel right. Pain and nausea to the extreme. I was to the point of being septic so I was no longer thinking straight when my hubby drove me to the hospital and the long journey to recovery stated. The flesh around one of my staples died and so it caused a leak.

The second time I had severe pain in my left side and a temperature spiked again. But this time I had an ulcer that caused a leak leading to an abscess. I had a temperature but it was not as high. I had a drain put in to drain the Fluid from the abscess and that took 3 tries to keep that in. Now I take meds to avoid any type of ulcer. Which happens more frequently with WLS.

I knew that I could die from the surgery but I did not have any knowledge of the complications that could happen. I learned fast. :)

Do I regret the surgery? Would I do it again? The answer is a resounding YES! It has given me new life and vitality I did not have before. And even though I am still recovering I would not trade my surgery for anything.

These kinds of complications are not common. My sister had hers in Dec. And she shares the experience like so many others here. A hope, skip and a jump.

So be sure that you are willing to face what ever your journey is going to be no matter and you will be fine. :)

How do you know if you have a leak?

I had a leak during my surgery back in 2009, and it was life-threatening. Here's a quick run-down with some tips of things to look for, and ways to possibly avoid them:

After my initial surgery, I felt good for the first couple of days (as good as you can feel after surgery) and came home with no problems. Within a couple of days, I started feeling weak and developed a very slight fever. I found myself getting more tired every day, and during a visit to my doctor's office 5 days after surgery almost passed out. They took me across the street to the hospital, did a barium exam, and found I had a leak.

My best guess as to how it happened was either a) the surgeon just didn't seal it correctly or B) because the anesthesiologist had me wearing a sleep apnea mask in post-op because of my (then) apnea, it's possible the air pressure forced its way down my esophagus, inflated the pouch, and tore it. I know that when I woke up from the initial surgery I was in screaming pain.

Either way, they went in to repair the abscess, but it took two tries to do it. I spent 25 days in the hospital fighting off infections and waiting for it to heal, all the time on IV and liquid foods. To top it off, I went home after 25 days in the hospital and two days later had to go back because the stress from the hospitalization caused me to have a heart arrhythmia (SVT).

So, I probably had a much more horrific time than you ever will if you have a leak.

But was it worth it? Even after all that, I still say yes. Absolutely. I'm in better health, I look better, and even though I've backslid a bit during the past year, I know I can correct that and get back to my goal weight easily.

Don't sweat the risk of a leak too much. Talk to your surgeon about the risks, and how he or she will be able to tell post-surgery if there's a problem. Then go for it!