Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried about taking care of baby post op

I'm worried about a.million things right now!!! My son just turned 2. I'm a stay at home mom thankfully. My concern is that I can't lift him to change him, put him in his crib, high chair, potty training him, our when he falls and wants me to hold him!! Any ideas!!! My husband and I have been trying to have him climb into his carseat but I'm at a loss as to his crib(he loves his crib and will not sleep anywhere else)

I had a hernia repair as well as my sleeve and wasn't able to lift more than ten lbs for 4 weeks. Of course there were a few times that it happened, but I tried my best not to.

Good luck! I know it's hard being restricted like that.

I can't speak from a personal view but my cousin who had her sleeve last summer also had a 2 year old son at the time and pretty much dealt with the same problems. She had her husband help with him more around the house because she was unable to lift him. She also did have him learn how to do things on his own like getting in the car seat and she would lower the crib and get a step stool for him to climb in it himself. I thought that was the smartest thing to do lol. And also put his step stool up to the changing table or just changed him on the floor or couch using a towel or something underneath him so nothing got anywhere. Whenever he hurt himself or was upset she would lay on the couch with him and hold him that way so she didn't have to pick him up and she just made sure he didn't hurt her stitches or anything. I hope everything goes well! If you have any more questions feel free to ask me and I'll see what my cousin did to handle it ????

When is your surgery? ????

Thank you for responding!! My surgery date is nov 18!!! Ive completed everything just waiting on insurance approval. My husband works for nasa and they are letting him work from home for 2 weeks but after that I'm not sure what to do. I'm having a hiatal hernia repair done. Wondering if that will be painful?

The hiatal hernia wasn't too painful at all. Just had pain the first time I dry heaved. It felt like my stomach tried to go back into its old home in the hernia hole and hit a brick wall. The incision area is a bit sore. If you have a top loading washer be careful bending over it to get clothes if the washer hits you in that area. I learned my lesson. It felt sore for a few days after that.

Just wanted to say that this is a worry for me, too. I have 5 kiddos, and my youngest are 2 and 7 months old. The 7 month old is a lightweight, so I can tote her around alright, but the 2 year old?? She loves to be picked up and snuggled and danced with. I'm sure she's going to have a tough time. I love the suggestion above to lay down and snuggle with them. You'll have to let me know if you come up with any brilliant solutions; my surgery is right before yours on the 14th. :)

How awesome! Mine is this 18th too!! ???????? well that's good he gets to be there the first two weeks. I hope my tips for taking care of your son really does help ☺

I'm about 12 days post-op and have a wonderful active special needs 3 year old boy who still sleeps in a crib. Here are some tips I can give. Before the surgery, I got my guy a doctor kit and began to explain to him about hurts and boo-boos and laying down to rest when we feel yucky. We took turns being sick and needing rest.

Also, I brought the car seat in the house and let him sit in it, get in and out of it so he'd actually know he could do it himself; he'd never really tried as I always picked him up.

He's been able to get in and out of the crib by himself forever but sometimes wants mommy to pick him up so I got a chair for him to climb up and I assist him in climbing in and then take the chair with me or I pile up all the pillows from our sofa and let him jump out, making it a game.

If you can, do diaper changes on the bed; it's been easy for me with my bed because it's easy to sink into and get up from. Set yourself up with a caddy of diapers and wipes before hand so that you don't have to go back and forth every time.

The hardest part is bending over the tub. My solution has been showers with mommy. I bring along some of his toys and tell him he's going to 'play in the inside rain' and so far so good.

It's a real good idea to stock up on his non-perishable items before hand so that when your husband goes back to work you can leave the house at your leisure instead of absolutely having to go out.

Most importantly, your little one will most definitely benefit from having a healthier happier mommy so try not to feel guilty about upsetting his routine or having a period where you can't do the things you would normally do. Good luck.

My son is three and thankfully can get in and out of the tub and bed on his own. My husband stayed home 2 weeks with me thank God for that. I still am not allowed to lift more than 10 pounds at 3 weeks out. I don't think I could lift him now but he is almost 50 pounds so that's a lot of kid to be picking up lol.

I'm also freaking out about this. I have an 8 month old who is breastfed and loves to be worn in a ring sling.

I'm not so much concerned about when I'm home because as it is I usually nap on the couch with him and we don't have a changing table, I usually just change him wherever around the house.

I'm nervous about being in the hospital for 2 days and how the heck my husband is going to get him to sleep. We bed share now and he usually nurses himself to sleep.

The hospital I'm having my surgery at does make special exceptions for nursing mothers to have their spouse an child stay with them when they are admitted, but we have three other Children at home who need daddy also.