Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey folks! I am having a revision going from the band to sleeve in one operation on December 5th. Could some of you tell me how your experience went and the big differences you could tell after surgery. Now with the band it is uncomfortable to eat and just not a pleasant experience at all. And another thing I am looking forward to (and I know it sounds crazy and gross because I can't do it now) is vomiting. I physically cannot get anything up now when I'm sick. I just dry heave. And it is horrible. Do any of you regret getting a revision. Just kind of curious as to what to expect. Please share your thoughts and experiences. Thanks in advance.

Edited by dustinwhall

I recently had a revision from band to sleeve on October 20. While I am not far out, here are my early observations. Not having the port site stabbing at my side makes me feel normal again. That hard spot on my side just was a constant reminder of the device and I hated it. I am just starting purée and really feel full. Not that pain feeling with the band where your stomach is growling underneath. Just full like nature intended. The recovery was a bit more than with the band, but I am almost 100% two weeks out. I am really happy with my early observations of the sleeve. To me it is much more comfortable than the band ever was in the 4 years I lived with it.

Congratulations...this is what I want however, my BMI is lower than the required 35 with co mortalities...I noticed youe stats... How did you get approved and what ins do you have? I'm so jealous...lol

@bearhugs I know exactly what your talking about with the pain from eating but the bottom of your stomach is growling with hunger. I am looking forward to that disappearing. The port does not bother me too much but I do know that it is there for sure. I am a side/stomach sleeper so I do notice it then. But the full feeling is what I was curious about. Thanks for that info.

@peachiee the revision process for me was super easy. I just went to my surgeon and told her I wanted a revision to the sleeve and she said ok. I scheduled my psych evaluation and my surgeon sent documentation to my insurance that I have followed the requirements with her and have had several office visits and my band was not working for me after several fills and 5 years. And 2 weeks later here I am with a surgery date. My surgeon is fantastic in that she moved really quick in getting me through the process since the band did not work for me. But I hope you get what you need. It is really stressful for me. Haha. I have Cigna insurance.

Edited by dustinwhall

Wow...if I wasn't in nj I would go see your doc! That's amazing. I'm struggling. I went in for a port replacement, woke up and was told they had to remove my band. I immediately started to cry and said I'm going to go right back to where I was weight wise...I'm well on my way and am so upset with myself. My doctor said 6 weeks and we will replace as a revision....nothing about having to gain weight and honestly I believed that since they took out my device, they wouldd replace it....HAAAA

@@Peachie That sucks to hear. It was very disheartening for me also when I realized that I had failed with the band. But I went to a support group for the first time and realized that the band failed me I didn't fail the band. It just wasn't the right tool for me. But I understand what your saying. They should at least replace the band that they took out. I would suggest trying to find some support groups in your local area. I was the person who said support groups are a waste of time. But my wife convinced me into going to one with her (she is having a sleeve done December 18th) and I really really enjoyed myself and got a lot of encouragement and reassurance from the people there. It was quite uplifting to say the least. That may be helpful to you. I know this forum is great but there is something about being face to face with people that helps. But hopefully things turn around for you. I have been extremely lucky throughout.

@peachie. My BMI at surgery was 33. I had slight issues with the band, but nothing life threatening. Just couldn't get that fill right. Finally I told my doctor I was about done with this thing. He said we can revise, wasn't the least bit concerned about insurance. It was only about a month from that conversation to surgery. My insurance approved within days. I would keep fighting.

@Dustin. Lucky for you to be going through the food stages with your wife! That has to make things easier because I can't stand the sight or smell of food enough to cook for everyone else. Good luck to both of you.

Thank you bearhugs. That's what we are hoping since we are going through it together that we will have a better chance of success.

Very inspirational it's really sad too me that CIGNA has documentation that on sept 19 to 10/28 I am 27 lbs heavier...do they think I'm not going to gain another 15 lbs by my dec 5 tentative surgery date???

I am also going to a support group and I know support comes from all areas and I know I'm not alone:)

We are both rather excited about it. The only thing we are really worried about is we have a 2 year old daughter. Taking care of her will be a little rough during recovery. But since I'm 2 weeks before her hopefully I'll be well enough to care for the little one and her since she will be caring for me during recovery.

I think the 2 weeks should be fine. I am out 2 weeks Monday and I did get exhausted cleaning the house today, but I have teenagers and they don't pick up anything on their own. Other than that, I feel great!