Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you order when you go out to eat with your family?

At this time, I am 2 months into having my sleeve. Well, tonight my family and I went out to dinner for my husband's birthday. He wanted Chinese food. We usually get a family meal that feeds everyone. I ate 1 slice of pork (no dip) and egg drop soup(left 1/2 of the broth) and did well with it. It was a small cup of Soup. Then the rest of the dishes came. OMG! All I could think is that it was a starch and fried mess of a dinner. I only put about 1/3 of a cup chow mien noodles with mainly veggies on my plate. I at part of it and hit my full signal. But, then 5 minutes passed, my mouth began to Water and had to dash to the bathroom to throw up. Apparently noodles don't agree with my stomach. When we arrived back home, I threw up the rest of the chow mien.

Since I have been in the "Eating Normal Food" category, I have thrown up several times. Is there something that I am doing wrong or is it that my Bentley of a tummy doesn't like what I put in it? At home, I have been eating really healthy foods. But, sometimes, there are still issues.

A question to all of you........When you go out to lunch or dinner, what do you order at a Chinese, Mexican, Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, etc. restaurant?

The getting sick after eating is probably partly what you ate and also until about 3 months the sleeve does not tolerate noodles or breads or anything doughy according to my surgeon. as for the eating out I always go somewhere that grilled chicken is an option because it is usually safe. I would just slow down my eating and see how new foods respond to the sleeve and if you get sick you know to stay away from that food for a while. best of luck :)

Thank you! That completely makes sense. I haven't even eaten any noodles or doughy kinds of foods at all until today. Everyday I just focus on getting my Protein and fluids in 100%. Then whatever foods I eat are healthy choices that I know won't cause me problems. I should have just stuck with the Soup.< /p>

My doc says no noodles until 6months..it's so funny how docs are so different...i can't have pork or beef until 6 month either..fish and eggs until 2 months then i can add chicken ! Cone on chicken lol..i do the throwing up when i go past the full stage..

My Dr in Texas told me that I am done with all breads, pastas, etc. He told me that they would make me feel bad (vomit) and slow down my fat burning metabolism. I do not want to feel bad or slow down...so, I will not eat those items.

For restaurants, I am always with my two older children. I take my Atkins shakes with me. And, since my two older children purchase regular adult meals, I have never had an eyebrow lifted by a waiter or waitress. My children are proud of me and I hope I am teaching them to take better care of themselves and to exercise regularly (so they do not repeat my mistakes).

:)

The only noodles I have had were in liptons noodle Soup and I ate a few spoons and put the rest in the fridge for later. I wonder if the noodles were small and cooked enough not to bother me, but breads and doughs are way too much to handle for me! I tried a tiny bit of pizza just to see and it was like a rock in my stomach.

I have had a piece of toast that I split with my niece, but anything other than very crisp toast is too hard to eat.

Our favorite Mexican restaurant has a dish called Filete de Piscado - grilled tilapia, grilled asparagus and salad with steamed rice. I immediately put the rice in a to go box for my family. I can barely eat 1/3 of the fish and have a few bites of veggies and take the rest home for lunch the next day (and sometimes 2 days).

Out favorite thai place - I have the cup of egg Soup and one of the family style dishes we order usually has a meat and veggie mix so I just eat that and I am fine.

Our favorite american place - I order one of the specialty salads with no dressing and only grilled Proteins, I eat the Protein first (well that is true for whatever I eat) and then at some of the veggies and take the rest home. No dressing means it can usually be eaten the next day for lunch. I have also ordered a speciality burger and throw away the bun and eat just the patty, cheese and the veggies

I haven't been to an Italian place - the Pasta would be just too tempting.

My Doctor's plan says no white bread, no white Pasta and no potatoes - complex carbs are ok in small amounts. I am loosing around 10lbs a month so I am pretty motivated to stay away form those items.

5 months out and 70 lbs down doesn't suck!

I've been able to eat anything with no problem except breads make me feel like there's a rock in my stomach. Pasta, lo mein noodles, bread, crackers, etc. No vomiting, I just feel overfull and uncomfortable.

I'll take a bite or two sometimes and know I'll pay for it later, but I'm an adult and I'm making a conscious choice.

Mexican..... Chili relleno with refried Beans or street tacos

Thai....satay, or any of the curry dishes and just eat the meat and veggies, no rice or noodles. I've also had fresh spring rolls (my tummy doesn't care for fried stuff, so egg rolls are out.). The only thing I miss is pad Thai.

Chinese....sesame chicken, egg foo young, garlic chicken, beef and broccoli, etc and just eat the meat and veggies, no rice or noodles.

Italian....chicken parm and scraped off a lot of the breading. Or spaghetti with meatballs and just ate the meatballs

At other restaurants I've had a gyro (ate just insides with a fork), steak and steamed veggies, Soup of the day, bbq brisket with coleslaw....pretty much anything, just staying away from the starchy sides.

Mexican, I order a soft taco and side of refried Beans and eat some of the chicken or pork from inside the taco and some beans and cheese but none of the tortilla. Asian, grilled meat, nothing fried and watch the sauces because they could be high in carbs and sugar. Italian is hardest and I usually look for a piece of meat or appetizer of wings. BBQ, ribs or grilled meat and easiest to find food you can have. Breakfast, side of bacon or ham and a slice of cheese (I don't eat eggs). I can find something to eat at almost every restaurant, even fast food places, even Disneyland! I only eat meat and cheese and a few veggies, no breads, Pasta, noodles, pretzels, crackers, rice or anything with too many carbs.

I didn't throw up any until 6 weeks and it seems to be just things that don't settle with me. It feels like my tummy is very sensitive. chicken ( baked, grilled) makes me ill. Many Soups do, too. Seems like cheese, nuts, eggs, and yogurt work best. Deli sliced turkey is ok too in very small portions. I have to take my aunt to lunch tomorrow and I may just drink Water and say I'm not hungry...

I eat EVERYTHING and have no problems. bread takes a lot of space though, so if i'm eating a sandwich or something like, i will take most of it off and have just a tiny bit for effect....that said:

pizza- very thin crust, ham and veggie only. 1 piece

mexican- 1 crispy taco

chinese- chicken and broccoli. 1 tbsp noodles

italian- grilled fish with salad, or 1/3 cup spaghetti with meat sauce

deli- nothing there for me. all junk, meat has lot of processing and sodium

fast food burger places- chili or Soup

family style restaurant- roast beef or ham or similar Protein, cooked veg and cottage cheese. take most home.

i have found that since surgery, i generally eat out very minimal to what we did. and when we do, it's always the same places, the same foods. it makes my choosing less stressful.

4 months, 60 lbs down and counting

Mexican..... Chili relleno with refried Beans or street tacos

Thai....satay, or any of the curry dishes and just eat the meat and veggies, no rice or noodles. I've also had fresh spring rolls (my tummy doesn't care for fried stuff, so egg rolls are out.). The only thing I miss is pad Thai.

Chinese....sesame chicken, egg foo young, garlic chicken, beef and broccoli, etc and just eat the meat and veggies, no rice or noodles.

Italian....chicken parm and scraped off a lot of the breading. Or spaghetti with meatballs and just ate the meatballs

At other restaurants I've had a gyro (ate just insides with a fork), steak and steamed veggies, Soup of the day, bbq brisket with coleslaw....pretty much anything, just staying away from the starchy sides.

i love Pad Thai and I found a recipe on pinterest for spaghetti squash chicken pad thai, i cant wait to try it so i can enjoy pad thai again.

I had beef pad khee mao the other day. I generally eat more beef/veggies than the noodles, then box the rest and have leftovers. Usually my human garbage disposal husband polishes them off. I will say I do not have issues with noodles/rice bread going down (but I try to avoid because carbs since I am a Type II diabetic, but in remission as my A1C is now in the normal category).

I typically order enchiladas at a Mexican place. I usually don't eat the tortilla though. I am not a fan of flour tortillas (also, carbs) so I eat the meat and cheese and lettuce/tomatoes. I usually eat the refried Beans as well since they are Protein. Again I box the leftovers and eat them for dinner the next day or let my husband finish them off.

For Indian, I like chicken tikka masala and sag paneer. I love nan bread too but usually there is no room for that. Vietnamese is usually really light. Lots of broths. I don't have a go to dish since I do not have a go to Vietnamese restaurant I go to often. For Chinese, I like pork or chicken dumplings. You can eat a couple and be full, while getting Protein in from the meat. After that, beef and broccoli (I usually do not eat much of the rice because carbs) if sharing with my husband or whatnot.

Sushi has become our go to for eating out. We start with edamame (high in Protein and fiber) I find that I can enjoy a few as we wait for our rolls. My favorite is a KC tuna roll (they use cucumber in place of the rice) or I order an appetizer for my meal tuna tataki. Of course I never eat it all so my husband has learned to order light as well so he can finish what I don't eat.

We have also done Chinese, we order steamed chicken and veggies with garlic sauce on the side, we share this with a side of brown rice for the hubby.