Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vegetarian/Vegan RNY Oct. 2014 surgery

Would like to know how many RNY'ers have decided to follow a plant based diet post op. How are you feeling, healing and how is your energy level. What are your go to foods in each phase? What is your surgeons advice if you have decided not to use animal Protein?

I was thinking of going vegetarian. Not sure how to get Protein in with out animals , dairy products. Any input?

Go down to the food and Nutrition section on this site to find out about vegetarian and vegan foods.

Go down to the food and Nutrition section on this site to find out about vegetarian and vegan foods.

I posted here because it is the general section. Hoping to get some general feedback. The other section is a bit hard to find.

Not trying to be inflammatory, but my surgeon refuses to do bariatric surgery on vegetarians or vegans because he does not believe it is possible to get enough Protein in without excessive carb calories. I have no idea if that's true or not.

Edited by docbree

Since my surgery 10/14/14 I have been on a primarily vegetarian diet. My energy is great, I am sleeping well, and I have healed quickly. Some of the unpleasant side effects I have heard about I have not experienced, such as extreme (and noxious) gas, or Constipation. I went back to work 1 week after surgery and started working out 13 days after. I have yet to weight myself, I'm waiting for my 1 month Dr. appt.

That's interesting your dr won't do the surgery on vegans. There are so many source of Protein now such as the unflavored that could be added to Soup and broths. It would be a little more challenging by I could be done.

My Nut said it is perfectly fine. Focus on Beans, peas, tofu, etc. There are also vegetarian and vegan Protein supplements. She was very supportive. I am an animal rescuer so have thought about this for a while. Now that meat no longer agrees with me, I am moving that direction and am excited about it.

Wednesday I made the Alton Brown's Lentil Soup recipe. Delicious!!! Easy to eat, plenty of veggies and my 5 year old nephew loved the soup as well.

I am 7 days out of sleeve operation. I have been meat free for 11 years. I am getting my operation next Thursday. I eat dairy and eggs. No meat at all 11 years.

I have been a vege/vegan for a number of years now. I had my RNY about 90 ago and am doing well. It's all about researching because there are plenty of Protein rich, delicious, plant based dishes available.

I have found an organic plant based Protein powder called Orgain.< /p>

The ready to drink tastes much better than the powder. I'm not vegan, but I'm allergic to whey protein and my dairy intake should be lactose free. I tried the chocolate and vanilla. They were ok for taste. Just be sure that there's 2 different kinds of ready to drink Protein Shake. One has 16g of protein and the other has 25 or 26g of protein.