Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going on vacation - Need tips

I will be 7 weeks post op from my gastric bypass when my husband and I head out to Las Vegas in mid November. We are both on vacation and hunting for a home out there for 10 days which is the longest we have ever been there. I moved to the soft food stage last week and I am doing very well with most foods on the plan although eggs and I are having a love hate relationship. I love them, depending on how I eat them, they hate me. I am a little concerned about eating out that much while I am in Vegas and I am looking for some tips. My nutritionist suggested taking Protein Shakes and even some Quest bars to ensure I keep up my Protein. I do not eat Beans of any kind, I just cannot get them down. Does anyone have some tips for eating out in restaurants at this stage? Seems crazy with what little i can eat to order meals. I am guessing you all have some experience with this?

Thanks so much!

I guess it just seems crazy to me that you're 7 weeks post op and you're still eating soft foods. At 7 weeks I was already eating solids (meat, salad, ect). Ive never been to Vegas, but isn't that where you can get the all you can eat buffets for super, super cheap??? That's gonna be hard! I never went out to eat during the soft food stage. I was always so worried about what I could order, but you're in a predicament. I guess I would just follow your nutritionists advice and stock up on your Protein shakes. Even if you order eggs out, they could bother your stomach if they're made with rich butter or oil.

I gave all my info to a friend, but I was wondering if you could eat soft fish (like tilapia). I can't remember what you can eat, it was awhile ago. Sorry I'm not much help, but I hope you have a fabulous time!

They are calling it soft foods but I am able to eat fish, chicken, turkey even beef although my pouch does not seem to like beef just yet. Everything needs to be very moist, cut up small and chewed to applesauce consistency. I am just eating such a tiny amount that I cannot even imagine what I would order with the exception of Breakfast.< /p>

Someone said try sticking to the appetizer menu for Proteins if they are available, like chicken wings.

I went on vacation at 8 weeks -- fortunately, it was in Belize on the beach and fresh seafood was available all the time. Baked or blackened or grilled fish -- perfect for you and I'd bet you're able to find it in most restaurants in Vegas. Check to see if there are add-ons that you could get from your husband's meal. For example, Red Robin will let you add another patty on your burger for $2, so when I was very early out, I would just add on to my son's burger and have them bring the extra patty on a little plate for me. Most restaurants will add on a grilled chicken breast or a skewer of shrimp (one of my favorite proteins!).

Also look at the appetizer menu. chicken wings are usually fried and probably aren't the best choice. I get nachos sometimes -- On the Border has some with pieces of fajita meat, refried Beans and cheese on them. I scrape off the Beans, meat and cheese and eat that -- leave the chips on the plate. 4-5 of those and I'm full. A lunch portion of fajitas is probably a good choice... eat the meat and then a little of the veggies. Leave the tortillas on the plate. Take home the leftovers for the next meal.

Take Protein powders that can be mixed with Water (Syntrax nectar has some great flavors). Almonds are also great to have on hand... I eat them all the time for Snacks. Protein Bars are good to have just in case you can't find a good meal choice.

You can do this -- just look at menus differently than you did before surgery.

Ginger

A couple of things I would like to note. I agree with everyone on taking a whole bunch of Protein bars and Protein powders that can be mixed with Water. I really like the Isopure mango peach or pineapple orange banana. Right now, if you are still on soft foods, I would not recommend almonds though they are great for Snacks. I would however suggest getting together an emergency snack bag you can carry in a purse or something. Fill it full of the Snacks you know are portable that you have been able to handle well. Also be sure to take plenty of bottled Water.

As far as restaurants go, this is a little more difficult. A couple recommendations. First would be to just share a meal with your husband. Since you wont probably be eating very much, you would be able to nibble off of his and he might not even notice anything is missing. That way there are not many leftovers to try to figure out taking back to the hotel room. If this is not enough food, I would recommend splitting an appetizer too or just getting an extra side dish.

The other thought would be, if you wanted leftovers, to order a meal or an appetizer. Go ahead and get a box in the beginning of the meal and as soon as the food gets there, divide out into the box everything but the appropriate meal size for you.

DO NOT GO TO A BUFFET! I know this is difficult in Vegas, but the best thing for you is to avoid these places like the plague. These restaurants probably helped us get to the point we needed the surgery, best to just avoid the temptation even if our stomachs couldn't handle it.

I think if you follow those few simple rules, you will be just fine on your vacation. Best of luck!

I'm about 2 months out. I travel alot and eating out at restaurants all the time, starting 3 weeks post op. At first, I felt very limited with the restaurant menu. For Protein I looked towards tofu and turkey/chicken, which I found easier on my new pouch.

If you end up at one of Vegas' buffets, consider telling the restaurant manager about your recent WLS and see if you could eat there at kid's prices. Surprising, alot of them will allow that. At typical restaurants, you can try ordering off the kids menu or small ("petite") plates. Apps and Soups work too.

If all above fails, either share a meal with your husband or order a full meal and ask them to package it to go.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for all of the great tips! I appreciate it. The good news is, we NEVER did buffets to begin with so we will be ok there and will be staying away. You guys gave me a lot of ideas to consider and I am sure I will be able to power through this. I have a mini run to Milwaukee coming up on the 6th of November so we will see how I do then. It will be my first trip away from home.

Thanks again for the advice. I have great will power so I am not worried about that.