Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Special card to use when going out

Did anyone here ever receive a card to use at restaurants? So they know that you've just had bariatric surgery, and to allow you to order from the children's menu, should you choose.

I haven't had my surgery yet (Friday is the big day), but when I went for my Pre-op appointment, one of the coordinators gave one to me,and told me to make sure I write my name on it. I think it's so cool!! I'm going to try to not eat out, but it's great to have this.

I got one its kinda strange even if I went out I dont know if i would use it,

I just order an appetizer or my hubby orders something a bit bigger. Then I just take a little from his plate. I just can't bring myself to order anything since I can only get 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup food down, depending on the texture. The kids menus, where we live, are not the healthiest really. chicken strips, nuggets, grilled cheese sandwich, fries, etc. At least our bill for the night is cut in half. ;)

Edited by Jodi_S

I got one. It is printed in pretty colorful font, the card is lamenated, and my name is printed on it. I've not eaten out since I had surgery, so I've not used it. But I imagine id just eat something off hubby's plate. I may use it if I was out with my gf's.

I got one as well and have ate out a few times and ordered off the children's menu usually ordering grilled chicken with a fruit or veggie but still can only eat a third of it. the card is helpful for those days you have no choice but to eat out although I would much rather cook something :)

If the waiter is nice, I just explain to them I had wls and that I would like to look at kids/senior menu and places I have been to have been fine. I haven't ordered off the kids menu though, usually just do a Soup and salad and bring half home

Edited by auntiemel

I got one don't use . Every time I have used it they look at me like omg he don't want the size we have of food who does that look .

Going to those Mexican drive through ording refried Beans and a little bit of chicken has be come a interesting task, the other day I said I wanted a side of beans xtra cheese and add a little chicken the gave me a container filled with beans and chicken and cheese . Said to them to much the lady said its ok its ok over and over took 6 bites o was done threw the rest away lol

I got one also but doubt I will ever use it. I also got a card for our cafeteria allowing smaller portions and smaller price at the register.

Mine says to allow me to order off of the child's or senior menu. Sometimes there are healthier options on the senior menu. I will keep it with me just in case.

I have one, but I've never used it. I order off the kiddie menu all the time anyway or alacarte, or get an appetizer. I have a friend who uses hers if she's at a buffet though. I will too if I ever go to a buffet again!

My surgeon doesn't give those cards out & it has not been a problem. I just explain that I had sleeve surgery & can only eat about 4 ozs of food. I haven't had anyone tell me I can't order off the children's menu. I have found that most waitstaff already know what WLS is & do not have an issue with it. I have found that usually everyone is very accommodating.

I was given one I use mine for the first time at first I wasn't going to use it I ask the waitress that I wanted to order from the kids menu she told me I couldn't I told her well I had surgery and gave her the card she them said she had to ask the manager, well the manager came back and apologize and said to the waitress this is why the card is given because she can not eat a lot and it was Ok to order from the kids menu. The manager was very nice and was upset that the waitress didn't even take what the card had said. He said he was glad we were there spending money in the place. I have eating out before never had this happen this was the first. I guess even if you tell them you had surgery depends on the place some will just let you then others well make a big deal. But it was good to have the card

I don't have one, but it sounds like something that would be good to have. I've eaten out twice and both times just took the rest home for lunch, dinner, lunch, dinner...you get the idea. I have a mini blender and while I was on liquids, 6 of us went to Chic-fil-a. I'd brought a Protein shake and some PB2. I explained that there were 5 of us ordering but if OK I'd like to purchase a cup of ice and plug in my blender to make my Protein Shake. They were totally fine with it. Someone even came over later to find out what kind it was. LOL!

I just signed up on here and I would like to know how to go about getting one of these cards which allows me to get kids meals when I go out to eat. Anybody help me?

Dr gave me mine