Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slower than expected Weight Loss in the beginning

I am very early days, two weeks post-op as of today and I am not seeing the results I expected. I was really hopeful because i lost 14 lbs on the preop diet, but week one I lost 3.5 lbs and week 2 I lost 2.5 lbs for a total of 6t lbs post-op. With the 14 pre-op Its a total of 20 over three weeks so I am not sure what I am complaining about but I expected more since calories are so low. I am tempted to chalk this up to age, or unrealistic expectations, but my surgeon told me way back when that I might lose 30 lbs in the first month, and that doesn't seem possible now unless I include the preop weight loss and even then it might not be possible.

I've gone back to work and the increased activity of that may help accelerate the weightloss, I hope.

I would love to hear how others our age (58 at surgery) did in the very early days.

Best Regards,

Barry

It's been over 2 months for me, and I have lost 29 lbs post op. (Weight shown lost on my profile is including pre op loss)...I am what you consider a slooow loser. I think I lost 17 the first few weeks. What matters to me is its still coming off, no matter how quickly. Hang in there! It will come off! Oh, I'm 47. So yes, sometimes I think age and of course BMI has something to do with the rate we lose :)

Same here I have only lost 18 pounds pre op and after Im 2 weeks out as well. I see all the stories avout 30 to 40 in a month and I cant believe it. I just gotta keep praying it gets better as I get more active

At 2 months out, I did not lose 30 pounds in a month. As long as you are losing, it is a good thing. Try to continue to get your Protein in and fluids. You are still early too.

Your body is stil going through shock - give it sometime, as other have stated above - its still early. You might be a slower loser - which I think is a good thing - i had wished i lost a little slower myself. My skin isnt saggy, but funny...

Its not a race, this is a life style change and a loss is a loss no matter how much or how little... Your doing great!!

So... what were your expectations? Because... more than 2lbs a week is a pretty good loss. You're on a good track already, losing 3x's as much a week as someone on a lowfat diet alone would lose ALSO, take note of non scale victories, like your pants falling off and your shirts getting big and your feet flopping around in your shoes. You'll see TONS more of those than you'll see on the scale.< /p>

The sleeve works. Your body is burning fat. Might not show on the scale yet, but keep pushing and have faith in the process.

Also make sure you are...GOING... ... and that you're getting in lots of water!

It might shake out that you lose slowly.....but the loss will be steady. It took me six months to lose 50 lbs, but I never lost50lbs before. And I never lost 75 lbs before. And now I"m at over 100lbs down. It didn't all fall off but the VSG has provided a steady, consistent loss over time. it's not designed to be skinny tomorrow. It's designed to help you keep losing long past when you would have given up with dieting alone.

Edited by TheCurvyJones

First, don't compare yourself to others (but FYI, I lost nothing the first week and a half and it took me 3 months to lose 30 pounds. I was thrilled. I considered myself lucky because losing slowly is much healthier)

Second, you are losing so whats the problem

Three, you are approaching the famous 3 week stall so you may not lose anything for a couple weeks. It's normal.

Fourth, this surgery is meant to be a lifetime commitment, not a race to see how fast you can take off the weight it took years (or decades) to put on. Your goal should be eating healthy and establishing new habits, not watching numbers.

I suggest staying off the scale for 1-2 months. Measure your progress with NSV's rather than meaningless numbers on the scale. I don't even own a scale at only weighed at the doctor's office for the first couple months. You are adding unnecessary stress to your life by worrying about these things. Just get in all your Protein, Water and Vitamins, and trust the process.

Edited by Kindle