Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2014 sleevers check in please!

Hey everybody came back off my cruise yesterday and it was a amazing experience. Couldn't eat much but I tasted everything. Happy to see everyone is doing well.

Please feel free to add me if you use any of these tools:

Myfitnesspal: lovelytrl

Fitbit: Lovelytrl

OMG! Just saw a coworker I haven't seen since coming back to work. She said "hey skinny! Welcome back! What did you do - go to a fat farm?" It's just making me laugh now (because I know she has no filter) - but who says that??????

People with no filter are a special breed to deal with lol. I have a coworker like that too. However, even though it sounds harsh or mean, I'm assuming that was her way of giving you a compliment. Glad you were able to laugh it off.

Welcome back from the cruise @ lovelytrl & glad it went well & Karen- I agree, that's a compliment!

OMG! Just saw a coworker I haven't seen since coming back to work. She said "hey skinny! Welcome back! What did you do - go to a fat farm?" It's just making me laugh now (because I know she has no filter) - but who says that??????

Wow, you should be able to add no tact to her list of attributes too. Lol.

Im having a slight reflux kind of feeling. It isn't horrible just annoying. Im post, day 17, now. Please tell me this is normal and NOT permanent!

I have been experiencing the same thing for the past few days. Hopefully it's just temporary.

@@Jen - a work in progress @Crystal52783 mine is constant. I take a prescription dose of Zantac every day and have for the past 5 weeks (since I had surgery)

Regarding reflux: I had GERD prior to surgery but am now finding it to be more active. Pre op I was taking my reflux medication about one a week, now I'm taking it every other day. I'll be asking about this at my one month follow up this week.

I wii be at four weeks tomorrow. Tried soft foods last week and had a lot of cramping under left rib area so I am back on liquids. Feel better. Still a little catch under left rib but not painful. Doing better on getting Protein in. I guess my new stomach needed more healing. Anyone else had this issue? About how long does it rake the stomach to heal? I plan to stay on liquids until then

@@Domawa, everyone is different and heals at different rates. Moving back to liquids is a good idea for a day or two, or however long you feel comfortable. At 3 weeks out I tried some fish and it didn't sit well with me. Since then I've been able to have, chicken, beef and pork. I'm currently 5 weeks out today.

October Sleevers,

I need help!!!! I am not losing correctly. I am so frustrated and falling apart emotionally.

I had surgery October 8th. I will be 6 weeks on Wednesday. I weighed 250 on the day of my surgery. Today I am 229 and I gained 2 pounds in the last 2 days. I have lost 21 pounds in 6 weeks and I had a 3 week stall. I lost 3 pounds after the stall. I could do better on Atkins on my own.

I track every calorie down to the what I use to cook with, which at this point is not much. I have a hard time getting my shakes down let alone my Water. I am getting about 50 grams of Protein from shakes. I can't seem to eat any solid Protein without a lot of pain. I can get at the most 32 oz of Water a day. I am trying to force 500-650 calories a day. I walk every day. 10,000 steps and I work out 3 days a week in another type of exercise. I have tried to increase my calories by eating healthy fats like avocado and cheese. Nothing has changed.

Any ideas? :lol:

@@Buffer, first thing I want to tell you is that nothing is wrong. Stalls, plateaus, whatever you want to call them, are normal. You must persevere through them. From what you are saying, you've done well already. ????

Now, let me ask you some specific questions.

How much sleep are you getting and how much do you need; are you getting enough?

What kind of work do you do?

Have you had recent blood work done, if so, we're your levels in the normal range?

What type of supplements are you taking and when (time of day)?

What is the biggest contributor to your inability to drink your Protein drinks?

Edited by VSGPapi

Now, let me ask you some specific questions.

How much sleep are you getting and how much do you need; are you getting enough? 7-8 hours a day. I feel good.

What kind of work do you do? Desk work but stressful. Coach competitive softball.

Have you had recent blood work done, if so, we're your levels in the normal range? Yes, I had no health issues prior to the surgery except for very bad knees. (old sports injury)

What type of supplements are you taking and when (time of day)? Bariatric Vitamins from the doctors. 3 times a day.

What is the biggest contributor to your inability to drink your Protein drinks? Too full and not tasting good. (Tasted great before surgery)

Thank you!!!

@@Buffer is your Vitamin regimen only a multi Vitamin or is it also a Calcium and a sublingual B12?

Early out, for me, my surgeon told me the most important thing would be hydration. I had issues drinking shakes post op because they would quickly fill me up and I could never finish. That in turn impacted my Water intake. Vicious cycle. I can sympathize with you. The game changed for me was finding a Protein powder with no gum additives. Manufacturers add cellulose, guar or xanthan gum to "thicken" shakes. For me the increased viscosity made them "heavy" and difficult to finish. If your Protein contains these it could be making you feel too full and making them less desire-able for you.

A three week stall is not uncommon, stick to your program that your team has outlined for you and you should start seeing results again soon. Your body could still be reacting to the surgery and drop in daily caloric intake that it may be trying to preserve itself before allowing itself to lose more.

Also, check with your team about your Fluid intake. Personally I would focus on hydration. A common reason why bariatric patients end up in the ER is dehydration. Again, check with your team before considering any changes to their plan for you, they know best.