Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Wilhelmy in Mexicali Bariatric Center

I did not find a lot on Dr. Wilhlemy on this forum, so I wanted to share my experience for anyone researching him and the hospital in Mexicali. I flew in from Canada to have a revision from LB to VSG done. I learned about Mexicali Bariatric Center by 3 coworkers that had been there to have surgery with Dr. Aceves and they spoke very highly of the hospital, the staff and had marvelous results! I must admit that I looked at a couple lower priced places but immediately knew that I wanted a certified doctor a certified hospital, a place where I knew patients were having very good long term weight loss results and my chances of a complication were low. I found all of these in Dr Wilhelmy and the magnificent team at Mexicali Bariatric Center. I also found a lot of caring people, professionalism and made friends for life!

The experience started out a bit bumpy because my flight was delayed for 5 hours. I had to be in San Diego Ca before 11 am and this delay would make me miss the shuttle to Mexicali. I called Nina at the office at 5 am ( sorry about the time honey) practically in tears not sure what to do. She calmed me and assured me they would not leave me in Sd and we would make it work. She kept her word and they had a driver to pick me up and take me to Mexicali that same day. It was too late to have all my tests done that evening so I just had EKG and x rays and spoke the nutritionist and bariatric doctor, Dr. Campos. Dr. Campos did a barium swallow and checked my band. Everything looked good. Yolanda and Carla met me and helped me through this stage. I spent the night at Lucerna Hotel and thanks to the sleeping pills I had a good night sleep.

Ernesto, the driver, was bright and early at the hotel to pick me up and took me to the hospital. I had blood work done that early morning and was admitted into the hospital. We waited for my test results and in the meantime I was put on the IV, I was given blood thinners and did the final paperwork. Time flew by, my tests we done, I saw all doctors that morning, internal medicine doctor, anestheologist, Dr. Wilhelmy and nurses Sergio and Esmerald. By 9am I was in surgery!

My band was removed and my sleeve done that morning. Surgery took 1.5 hours and was told I had a lot of adhesions but nothing they had not seen before. Phew!

The next 3 days passed so quickly. I was in the hospital for 3 days in total, I had 3 leak tests and recovered without any problems. The attentiveness of the nurses was impressive. They have a caring spirit helping patients get as comfortable as possible and always with a smile on their face. The cleaning ladies are there all day, they clean over the clean, I swear I wanted to take one of them home! I saw the doctors 2-3 times a day and was reassured daily about my recovery and my questions were answered.

My husband talked beer and sports with the doctors, he is a big fan of both so needless to say he is now a big fan of MBC's doctors too.

I had NEVER gotten this care anyplace else. I was not a number, I was a patient, someone they cared about and that along with their surgical experience make them an exceptional medical team. It was a very big difference from my band experience at home.

HI Sthomas! I had surgery with Dr. Wilhelmy too and was very happy with everything down there too. How are you doing?

I am a Dr wilhemly and Mexicali Bariatric Center patient too! I would recommend them to anyone and actually have several times. Great team of doctors and such caring staff. Thanks for sharing your story I miss them "smile".

Right on Sthomas! I am a band to sleeve revision. I researched long and hard on where to have my surgery done. I was looking at several things for my 2nd and last surgery. I wanted a place with a good record of doing revisions without complications and in a single surgery. I wanted a real hospital and I wanted a sleeve that had proven results. I got all 3 with Dr. Wilhelmy at Mexicali Bariatric Center.

I had surgery one month ago and have lost 25 lbs already. I can eat very little and know this sleeve will take me where I need to be.

I thank Dr. Wilhelmy and staff and congratulate myself for making a better decision this 2nd time around. Live and learn I guess.

Another band to sleeve HAPPY Wilhelmy patient here! Hi guys! nice to see this thread about my doc. I just got back, feeling very well and even better now that I am over my initial clear liquid diet.

Good to hear such good feedback on Dr Wilhelmy, I am going to Mexicali in a few days and comforting to hear about your experiences! I will be having my sleeve redone, what they call a resleeve. I will report when I get back. Getting very nervous but excited at the same time!

Excellent surgeon and hospital in Mexico! I had surgery with Dr. Wilhelmy and Dr. Campos and was very pleased with the experience.

Did any of you have a DS with Dr Wilhelmy?

This is a 4 year old thread so you may not hear back from the previous posters.

I’ve heard great things about Doctors Wilhemy, Esquerra, and Ungson at Mexicali Bariatric Center. People I know that had DS surgery there were very happy with the experience and have had great weight loss & maintenance results. You couldn’t make a better choice as they’re the preeminent DS surgeons in Mexico. Good luck!

Edited by MarinaGirl

My DS was with Dr Wilhelmy this week and I think they did good by me. My only complaint was that at times it felt like the coordinators (Yolanda, Rosella) were the ones dispensing medical advice and they are not medical staff. For example taking the sedative from a pill pack from a grandmother ina pink sweatsuit felt very shady, but it did all work out fine. The phlebotomist and the IV starter both did a fine job and that is very important to me.

I had a DS last week with Dr Wilhelmy as well. So far, so good. It's a real hospital, but it is not a U.S. Hospital. Dr Wilhelmy doesn't have a bad accent, but I think he may have a limited vocabulary in English (Dr. Campos acted as a translator during the pre-Surgery consult, though Dr Wilhelmy came by himself for the daily checkups post-op). No serious complications so far.