Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PREGNANT AND ONLY 1 MONTH POST OP!

I have decided to keep it. I hear that since I'm overweight the baby will feed off my current fat and I will just have to make sure to eat Protein PROTEIN PROTEIN! Since my body will be more tired since it's making a whole nother' little life inside of me.
I hear i'm okay in the food department but Vitamins are gonna be crucial. What are y'all thoughts?? I'm really against abortion and want to keep it.

Congratulations. I hope you have a super easy pregnancy and everything goes well for you and baby :)

Summer

I understand being anti abortion but I am baffled as to why know it how imperative it was not to get pregnant I understandyou didn't take more precautions, like you using a semipermenant method and using something as well. Babies growing in uetero don't grow from fat - where did you learn that? Hopefully you find an on/gyn who has experience in pregnancy post bariatric surgery, especially 23 months prior to when it's allowed. If I souInd harsh it is so you will take this seriously.

Edited by cc1967

My thoughts are that I hope you have a very good gyn that understands the surgery you just had done and can help you prevent any nutritional deficiencies that will impact your baby. I also hope you do not have a lot of nausea and can actually take Vitamins and eat your Protein.

Good luck!

I understand being anti abortion but I am baffled as to why know it how imperative it was not to get pregnant I understandyou didn't take more precautions, like you using a semipermenant method and using something as well. Babies growing in uetero don't grow from fat - where did you learn that? Hopefully you find an on/gyn who has experience in pregnancy post bariatric surgery, especially 23 months prior to when it's allowed. If I souInd harsh it is so you will take this seriously.

My plan says 18 months not 24 so hers might be like mine. Also not everyone does well on Birth control. Birth control is how I ballooned nearly to the weight I am. I have tried many, many birth control methods and none ever was a permanent thing I could do.

To the OP good luck on your pregnancy. Tell your surgical team and have them work with the OB/GYN you choose.

No matter how it has happened, a baby is a blessing. I think through careful eating and monitoring by both your bariatric surgeon and your ob/gyn you will have it all covered. I do believe both need to be in contact with each other so that both you and the baby are healthy.

Please keep us posted and know you are in my prayers!

Clarissa

It sounds like you may have been misinformed on some things, like being ok on food or the baby growing off the fat. It is absolutely imperative for your baby's health and development that you have a very knowledgable, capable doctor helping you through this. Please be very picky and very adamant on choosing one that has handled situations like yours. Pregnancy is tough on normal bodies, let alone ours in one of the biggest changes you'll experience in your lifetime. Prepare yourself and your family for the worst and pray for the best, and we'll be praying with ya.

THANK YOU EVERYONE! All your input and comments really helped.. I have kept my surgeon in the loop and also scheduled myself with an OBGYN! :) I am excited!

One of my bariatric coworkers just had a baby and the surgery caused her to have a hard time breastfeeding. Not enough calories to produce milk. Just keep that in mind.

congrats, i really hope you have a smooth pregnancy. I can't imagine how hard it might be but it will definitely be worth it. im sending prayers your way for a healthy baby and a healthy you. i just have one question, did your doctor offer you or you know encourage you to get some type of birth control, like an iud, condoms or anything? mine brought it up but i'm not having sex so i changed the topic fast but one of the girls who i kept in contact with said he made her sign a consent to be on birth control since she was actively having sex because of the risks and he also mentioned how easy it would be to get pregnant after the surgery.

Not to be a huge downer, but you have to prepare yourself for the fact you may not be able to carry the baby because it's just too soon after the surgery. Your body is going through incredible amounts of stress right now and you are likely going to be losing weight like crazy. From a biological point of view, that is not an encouraging environment for a baby and, in nature, an animal would not be able to sustain a pregnancy in starvation mode. I hope it all goes well for you, but there is a good reason why you were specifically told not to get pregnant. The first year of a bypass is peak malabsorption. It takes a LOT of calories to build a baby and it's going to be hard to get those in now. There is also the physical danger of a baby pushing on your healing stomach, which has been completely rearranged. I too don't want to sound harsh, but this is a very serious breech of the rules with major health implications for you and your baby. Although I always want healthy babies, I am also a realist and you need to be prepared. Hopefully your team of doctors will have it under control and all you will have to sacrifice is your rate of weight loss.

FYI, if you are having trouble tolerating the Iron pills because they are hard on the tummy, try FeraMax. It's much easier on the system. They're more expensive and you have to ask the pharmacist for them but they're worth it. Also the Iron is in a more readily absorbable form than regular pills.< /p>

Wow. My surgeon makes females who can still get pregnant sign a waiver saying they cannot safely carry a baby until 24 months post surgery, and if they do become pregnant before that timeframe he is not liable for any issues that may arise.

I hope you have a healthy pregnancy, but be prepared for the worst.

Thank you all for your input. I am currently 7 weeks pregnant and so far everything looks great. I have been keeping on my healthy eating and just doubling up on my Vitamins. Both my surgeon and OBGYN are aware of my pregnancy and they are monitoring me closely. :)

Your body will need extra nutrition, as babies do not feed off of mothers fat. As a nurse, I can tell you that you may have a very hard time, or even have a LBW (low birth weight baby), which also has it's own set of issues. My biggest fear would be how you are going to provide enough nutrition for both you and the baby, and if you can provide enough nutrition, will you be undoing everything you worked for with the surgery. Wishing you luck on your journey.

It's okay for you to be pregnant. There is nothing physically that will harm you or baby. The reason they don't want you to get pregnant until after 18 months is because they do not know the effect it will have on weight loss (my doctor told me this because I thought I was pregnant too early). You will still lose weight, do not worry. Enjoy your pregnancy and try to eat healthy and exercise!