Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best food for grazing !

Hi all, I know grazing is bad but my hunger is gradually coming back and I'm struggling not to graze. I'm 11 weeks post op, I went band to sleeve. I have lost 33lb so far and have another 24lb to go. I took my eye off the ball for a few weeks and gained about 6lb, guess I got complacent. I've lost it again now and have learnt a valuable lesson, even though I can eat less that before, if I choose bad food, I'll still gain, albeit at a much slower rate than pre-surgery. Anyway back to my point, I'd love to hear what people consider to be their most tasty, satisfying, low fat / carb healthy grazing snack, one that you could munch away on and not consume to many calories / fat etc. At the moment I'm having a handful of almonds, an extra chocolate calci-chew, low fat yoghurt, the problems is they're not really satisfying. I have a bigger stomach than most will have as I went band to sleeve, I can eat just over a cup of anything without any problem at all. Grateful for helpful responses :-)

Edited by johnsydney

You are right, grazing is bad. You really want to confine yourself to set meal and snack times. However, if you are going to graze, put down the nuts! They are extremely high calorie and will NOT help your weight loss.

If you are absolutely incapable of sticking to set meal and snack times, you should limit your grazing to green veggies only IMO. You can't do that much damage with a big plate of broccoli in front of you.

Thanks Bufflehead, green veggies is a good idea. Maybe I could keep some cooked in the fridge to eat. I don't really have Snacks though, I normally have lunch and dinner. Then a couple of times a day I get hungry and end up having a couple of biscuits or a piece of toast. Maybe what I need to do is to add a couple of healthy snacks rather than 'graze' I've never really been a Breakfast person, normally I have a glass of Water with my Vitamins followed by a cup of tea at home and a cup of coffee when I get to work, then I'm good until lunch time. As I'm typing this I'm thinking that the reason I am grazing is because I'm not eating properly or in a structured way? Maybe I've just figured out the answer to my question.

Edited by johnsydney

Dried apple crisps. Skinny popcorn. Measure out the 3 cups and there you go. However this will not solve the issue of grazing. But one thing at a time right.

I have the most trouble at night. It seems that that is when I get my most blood sugar attacks. I am working so hard to find high Protein low calorie food for then. It is difficult to learn what is best for that.

However changing your brain will change your body...Water, lots of Water as well....it can fill you up as well. okay! :)

I know this sounds crazy but drink some Jello Water. it will fill you up and not give you any calories!!

my program allows for 3 meals and 3 Snacks a day, so in essence, i graze every day. i am eating every 2 hours with this plan. in between, i drink.

for my Snacks i have a P3 snack pack, popcorn, maybe a slice of deli meat with some cuke slices, a slice of Ezekial toast with PB, almonds, or a baby-bell cheese. i try to focus more on Protein but i have been known to have plenty of carb too, because my plan emphasizes all foods, and is not a low carb plan.

i am losing steadily and my skin is doing well, no real sagging. i feel great and am ahead of where my surgeon expected me to be for this point.

You are right, grazing is bad. You really want to confine yourself to set meal and snack times. However, if you are going to graze, put down the nuts! They are extremely high calorie and will NOT help your weight loss.

If you are absolutely incapable of sticking to set meal and snack times, you should limit your grazing to green veggies only IMO. You can't do that much damage with a big plate of broccoli in front of you.

Great idea on the broccoli! How about broccoli in hot garlic sauce?!

Try PB2 (powdered Peanut Butter with 85% less fat) and celery! To change things up a bit, I like to to get the one with chocolate added. The peanut and chocolate give the perception that I am not missing out on the "good stuff" and the celery provides the crunch and fills my sleeve up nicely. Good luck!

that broccoli in hot garlic sauce sounds tasty. Like a previous poster stated, I eat every 2 hours and that helps me a lot. You should get rid of the biscuits and X the toast too. Try low fat string cheese sticks or low fat PB with celery. Remember the Proteins first. There was someone that made a sorbet out of frozen fruit, low fat Greek yogurt and 1 scoop of Protein powder. He put it in the food processor and it was done. This is something you could try too. I know I am lol.

Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, bedtime snack

This is my plan. I also still drink my Protein shakes or do Pure Protein Bars (1/2 bar) which keeps me full as well.

I usually don't have time for breakfast and I don't get a lunch break, so I basically graze all day until my first meal in the evening. My go to's are mixed nuts with craisins (sorry Bufflehead, but I eat tons of nuts), beef and turkey Jerky (very filling), Protein smoothies, Protein Bars, raw veggies with cheese dip (Asiago artichoke is my favorite), popcorn, apples with Peanut Butter (I used PB2 until I reached goal), Plain Greek yogurt flavored with Protein Powder, and cheese and bagel crips.

If I'm feeling like a snack but I know I'm not really hungry, I make myself drink at least 16oz of Water first. By then I'm usually over the snack cravings.

Edited by Kindle

Green Beans

Oh yeah, edamame, roasted soy nuts and pumpkin seeds, too.

I'm not there yet for most of those foods...but has anyone tried hte "Turkey Bit" that in hte check out lanes? They're awsome....bought some for my hubby befoe surgery to keep in his big truck. They are vey high Protein, very soft with just a light touch of spice.

a good Protein rich snack that is my go-to at night before bedtime when my tummy decides it hasn't eat at all that day, is Calbee's Lentil Snaps or Snapea Crisps. They are like rice-puff but obviously made from lentils and sugar snap peas. they are delicious and one serving is about 100 calories/5+ grams protein.

Edited by Yasman

A couple of slices of deli sliced turkey or ham rolled up with a slice of cheese in the middle.

:)