Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I fought boughts of plantar fasciitis a couple of times a few years back. It reared it's ugly head a few months before my surgery (Sept. 22) and I was hoping it would get better more quickly after I started losing weight after surgery. I've lost 31 pounds so far, but my foot is still very painful! I'm still trying to walk everyday and stretch and ice my foot as needed. Has anyone else struggled with plantar fasciitis? How soon did the pain improve after WLS surgery?

Thanks!

Edited by Larly109

Actually I had it two years ago and I cured it myself. It took some doing but it worked for me. I purchased new shoes with good arch support.

Home - open toes Clarks

Out - Easy Spirit slides and sports shoes with inserts.

I NEVER placed my foot on bare floor. If I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom my Clarks had to be on my foot first and foremost before I even tried to get up.

The spur that causes the pain has to heal, the only way it will is if the tendon doesn't pull on it. THis means you can't stretch it out by placing your weight allowing the arch of your foot to collapse. Not even once.

It took about 6 months but I have been pain free for 1 1/2 years.

Edited by Beni

I have suffered with plantar fascitis for years. I underwent surgery to release the PF (as well as grind off a heel spur) in 2012. It was absolute HELL. I was in a wheelchair for almost 2 months afterwards, and it took almost 7 months before I felt relief from the pain. It was like trying to walk with a huge bruise on the heel of my foot, plus I had ongoing PF in my other foot. That said, I found the biggest relief was NOT from the surgery, but from buying quality athletic shoes (I wear New Balance 4E width, and buy 1/2 size bigger to allow for foot swelling during walks). I was never a big runner-type----I have extremely flat feet. The other thing that helped my PF was Water WALKING/AEROBICS. Water makes you buoyant so to speak, and takes the weight off your joints. It has helped immensely with the pain and inflammation of PF as well as other arthritis-related issues.

I live in my Berkinstock sandals. Several years ago I could hardly walk due to plantar fascitis. My sister is a nurse and suggested the Berkinstocks. Told me that wearing them had stopped her problems. I don't have any problems now. Sandals in warm weather (which is most of the year here) and Berkinstock clogs in cooler weather. They were expensive, but worth every penny. I've even had them re-soled . Sam's Club sales a version of them at the start of summer called "Betula". Same shoes but much cheaper. I don't even have to wear them all the time now but usually do as they're so comfortable!

I have the same problem. It's very painful. I just got new shoes, I'm praying this helps. I have been putting ice on it but still in a lot of pain.

I have suffered with plantar fascitis for years. I underwent surgery to release the PF (as well as grind off a heel spur) in 2012. It was absolute HELL. I was in a wheelchair for almost 2 months afterwards, and it took almost 7 months before I felt relief from the pain. It was like trying to walk with a huge bruise on the heel of my foot, plus I had ongoing PF in my other foot. That said, I found the biggest relief was NOT from the surgery, but from buying quality athletic shoes (I wear New Balance 4E width, and buy 1/2 size bigger to allow for foot swelling during walks). I was never a big runner-type----I have extremely flat feet. The other thing that helped my PF was Water WALKING/AEROBICS. Water makes you buoyant so to speak, and takes the weight off your joints. It has helped immensely with the pain and inflammation of PF as well as other arthritis-related issues.

Thanks for the reminder about water walking! I need to do that!

I have the same problem. It's very painful. I just got new shoes, I'm praying this helps. I have been putting ice on it but still in a lot of pain.

I hope we both get some relief soon!

Believe it or not, I fought with it until I had surgery.. Don't know why but when I woke up it was gone. I have since lost 115 lbs. and it is just starting to rear its ugly head again.

Used to work for a podiatrist many many moons ago.

The only cure is good shoes and arch support

Orthotics in your shoes may help but o ly those that are made by a podiatrist

I invested in a really good pair of shoes - brand is Brooks, style is Ariel. They have excellent support and cushion and are helping with the pain.

Over the years I have accumulated several pairs of custom made orthotics. At some points I had severe foot pain. Having lost 103 lbs my pain is gone. I continue to wear the orthotics because I don't want it to return.

yes, bout 4 plus months. My Chiro suggested KTape. I bought mine at Walmart. don't buy the cheap one, it does not stick. I paid about $17 or so for mine. I got on their web site and the KTape people gave instructuions on how to apply. I am so much better now using the KTAPE. I can definitely tell the differrence if I don't have it on.